Best Web Based GTD App

João Sousa

Registered
Hi!
Well... seems like several years after, all the pc apps still suck! I can't understand how anyone can make a web app similar to OmniFocus! You have some apps which have beautiful interface, but non of them are gtd apps... and a non-gtd apps don't allow you (or make it very hard) to have your "NEXT" actions. You have to make it manual. I tried many apps like:

-Todoist - it's not a gtd app, and don't let you apply the classic GTD method. The interface is horrible in my humble opinion.
-wunderlist - good interface but another non-gtd app
-Facile thing - wonderfull on pc, terrible on iPhone
-toodledo - a fully functional GTD app, yet horrible
-ticktick - amazing aesthetic... again not gtd
-any.do - it's for kanban, not gtd

The list goes on.
I currently use nirvanaHQ. It's fully GTDfunctional, have a lot of features. I subscribed the pro version because of current tasks like week review. Hope they keep evolve, there are somethings that I like to have, like little calendar (like the one on OmniFocus) and an amazing thing: integrated email

Well... I'm thinking to buy a mac. One of the reasons is OmniFocus.
(Ps: I'm not affiliated with any app)

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I use Nirvanahq too. I think it is an outstanding GTD web app with good iOS and Android apps as well. Have you looked at FacileThings?

I wish Omnifocus had a pc version as well. Sigh...

Tay Boon Siang

Registered
It may seem counter-intuitive to some but I actually like apps that are not "designed for GTD" because the latter lock you into someone else's interpretation of GTD. One thing I've learned is that there as many valid ways to "do GTD" as there are people. DA was smart to distill the principles but leave the implementation to the individual. "Non-GTD" apps generally allow more flexibility for me to implement the principles my way, or at least that's how I feel.
I use Google Keep because it syncs my Android phone to both my home and office PCs. I prefer to do my weekly reviews in front of my 24" monitors with the speed of keyboard typing. I can still carry my notes/inbox with me everywhere on my phone.

Google Keep doesn't have a fixed structure that forces you to plan in a certain way. I like the freedom to create many many notes capturing my thoughts, and I didn't find any difficulties implementing GTD as long as I keep things flexible and simple.

devon.marie

Registered
Hi!
Well... seems like several years after, all the pc apps still suck! I can't understand how anyone can make a web app similar to OmniFocus! You have some apps which have beautiful interface, but non of them are gtd apps... and a non-gtd apps don't allow you (or make it very hard) to have your "NEXT" actions. You have to make it manual. I tried many apps like:

-Todoist - it's not a gtd app, and don't let you apply the classic GTD method. The interface is horrible in my humble opinion.
-wunderlist - good interface but another non-gtd app
-Facile thing - wonderfull on pc, terrible on iPhone
-toodledo - a fully functional GTD app, yet horrible
-ticktick - amazing aesthetic... again not gtd
-any.do - it's for kanban, not gtd

The list goes on.
I currently use nirvanaHQ. It's fully GTDfunctional, have a lot of features. I subscribed the pro version because of current tasks like week review. Hope they keep evolve, there are somethings that I like to have, like little calendar (like the one on OmniFocus) and an amazing thing: integrated email

Well... I'm thinking to buy a mac. One of the reasons is OmniFocus.
(Ps: I'm not affiliated with any app)

One of the big risks with apps is trying to have them do everything. I was never happy with apps, ever, because they always had one flaw, did one thing poorly, didn't have this certain feature... until I realized the system I wanted was one I didn't have to put any work into at all. I wanted it to read my mind and make all of my decisions for me. And how realistic is that, really?

Once I let go of that thought, I went with whatever had the most features I could use outside of GTD principles and then made the tool work for me. A good GTD implementation involves being hands-on with your lists. You have to look at them every day, read every task and decide what to do. Technology isn't at a point where it can make wise decisions for us. That's something we're still the best at doing. Find a tool you trust, that has the non-GTD features you want (for example, attachments or offline mode or what have you) and set up the simplest GTD system you need to make it work. Trust me, not relying on the app to make the decisions that are best for you gives one a serious peace of mind that I never got close to approaching during my GTD Holy Grail App search.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
One of the big risks with apps is trying to have them do everything. I was never happy with apps, ever, because they always had one flaw, did one thing poorly, didn't have this certain feature... until I realized the system I wanted was one I didn't have to put any work into at all. I wanted it to read my mind and make all of my decisions for me. And how realistic is that, really?

Once I let go of that thought, I went with whatever had the most features I could use outside of GTD principles and then made the tool work for me. A good GTD implementation involves being hands-on with your lists. You have to look at them every day, read every task and decide what to do. Technology isn't at a point where it can make wise decisions for us. That's something we're still the best at doing. Find a tool you trust, that has the non-GTD features you want (for example, attachments or offline mode or what have you) and set up the simplest GTD system you need to make it work. Trust me, not relying on the app to make the decisions that are best for you gives one a serious peace of mind that I never got close to approaching during my GTD Holy Grail App search.
And more great wisdom from @chirmer! You are on a roll,my dear colleague! Cheers! :D

Yigit Kocak

Registered
The features that you're looking for is available at Hitask. I recommend you to give it a shot.

Moreover, on GTD apps, there's none that makes you get things done 100%. Most of them are highly dependent on what you give to the app. The more you give, the more you get. So, your preference and expectations are more important than the app itself. For example, I'd like an app to adapt to how I work and gradually improve its system with AI etc. But then again I'm concerned with privacy so I'll use a dumber version. (An app with AI doesn't exist yet)

Stick with the one you're most comfortable with. And if you see that it isn't working for you, just try a new one.

~Btw, I work at Hitask.

jamesreadhead

Registered
So I have a fully implemented GTD/Robbins-RPM/OPA system using Evernote across mac, ipad, windows and android. Happy to go into details if anyone is curious.

jamesreadhead

Registered
Latest from GTD on FB....

Anyone out there using the new Microsoft To-Do app? https://todo.microsoft.com/en-us

If so, thoughts on how well it works for GTD implementation so far? And are you integrating it with Outlook or using it as a stand-alone app?

Thanks for your input!

And as always, we are happy to take suggestions on new GTD Setup Guides you would like to see from us. We promise ToDoist is coming! It's taken longer to produce than we anticipated, but it will be released. What else would you like to see? Top votes so far seem to be NirvanaHQ and Things 3. What else?

Alessandro Vernet

Registered
So I have a fully implemented GTD/Robbins-RPM/OPA system using Evernote across mac, ipad, windows and android. Happy to go into details if anyone is curious.

Yes, I'd love to hear how you've done this with Evernote. I find Evernote attractive, being multi-platform, and having the potential to combine all my projects/next actions and my reference material under one roof. However I've tried to use Evernote as a GTD system in the past, but never got far, as I couldn't find a satisfactory way to deal with recurring reminders.

Alex