Just do it...just get it off your mind!

AshleyWheeler

Registered
The most difficult thing for me when I began this GTD journey years ago, was to get into the habit of getting things off my mind by putting them immediately into my trusted system. I can't imagine now doing anything but getting it immediately off my mind after doing this for several years now.

When I recently began a new way of eating where I track my "macros" I found it very easy to immediately enter anything and everything I ate straight into my app that tracks & calculates it all. I've told others about this simplistic way of being able to track your eating habits and they balk at having to take the time to enter it all into the app. I have gently reminded them that once you begin doing this, it will take only a few seconds of your time to do so and that the more you do this, the easier and more second nature it will become.

It is the same way with GTD. You need only to get on board with it first and then keep going with it -refining it to fit your needs in whatever way works best for you. If you don't spend a little bit of time on the front end, you'll spend twice as much time with it on the back end.

I can't help but always think of the old 80s song, (I'm dating myself, I realize.) Free Your Mind by En Vogue every time I think of a Mindsweep or simply getting things off my mind and into my trusted system. Cue the music...

YES! I love that post. I even capture ideas that I may not implement for decades in the future. For instance, I have ideas for things to do after I retire, even though it's at least 35 years away! Reviewing those things generates excitement for the future and at the very least, you have a really good bucket list! :) Taking a few moments now makes my future brain cells very relived from having to think of it! ;)

andy5400

Registered
Very well said, Ashley wheeler. I'm very impatient at things and well, it actually affected my performance at anything. Time management for an important obsession for me. Like If I get a work for 40 hours. I wanted to over achieve it by finishing it in 30 hrs. But, the end result won't be as planned. GTD helped me plan well through the deadline.