Extreme time-blocking for exceptional results.

TesTeq

Registered
As many of you know I am investigating the problem: how to combine list-based GTD methodology with scheduling-time-blocking approach to making things happen. There's a popular saying: "What doesn't get scheduled, doesn't get done."

During my research effort I am currently reading "Sprint: How To Solve Big Problems And Test New Ideas In Just Five Days" written by Google Ventures team.

They recommend "a unique 5-day process for solving tough problems". What is the main "uniqueness" of this process? They gather several people from the company and close the door of the conference room for 5 days. Not literally but the idea is: to solve a problem the team must not be distracted. So it is an example of extreme, week long time-blocking.

They also recommend "working alone together" as opposed to brainstorming.

Interesting book!

Oogiem

Registered
TesTeq said:
They gather several people from the company and close the door of the conference room for 5 days. Not literally but the idea is: to solve a problem the team must not be distracted. So it is an example of extreme, week long time-blocking.

They also recommend "working alone together" as opposed to brainstorming.
Ask anyone whose been on a significant governmental RFP response team. That is not at all uncommon. When deadlines loom pillows and blankets came out and I can remember sleeping under a conference room table for a bit before starting to work again. Good managers brought in food and drink and also did a fun event after delivery of the proposal or we all got some time off.

TesTeq

Registered
Hi TesTeq. So where are you in your study?
I'm afraid the steps of my research were not appropriately scheduled or time-blocked. ;-)
"Sprint" book was interesting but it described... sprints, not regular work toward longterm goals.
Then I was inspired by the idea to define main quarterly projects and create a framework to execute them (something like Brian P. Moran's "The 12 Week Year" but with agile approach to goals and strict approach to deadlines). But this project is now on hold.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
As far as I can see it, time-blocking does several things for you and one of them is very relevant, if you want to stay in "the GTD classic model" (I lIke that term!) as much as possible.

Time-blocking will force you to clarify the "when" of a next action, task, or project. This is sometimes needed for you to get to "mind like water". In such an instance, time-blocking looks very attractive.

I wouldn't know of many alternatives to it. Maybe re-phraising the successful outcome of a (sub)-project from "got the report done" to "got the report done this week"?

Jan Ernest

Registered
TesTeq : As you know, I am a strong advocate of time blocking and have integrated these principles -- and other concepts from Cal Newport's Deep Work -- into my operating system. I think you this is pivotal in getting the tough, high-focus work done. I will look for the book you described -- it sounds great! Cheers!

@Longstreet I have been seeing consistency in your time-blocking advocacy. Any good material to begin with in improving time-blocking with GTD System? I have been using Google Calendar to set time-blocks in a day for Next Actions (Almost of of them) ensuring that they have budgeted time in my schedule.