Slice of GTD Life with Andrew J. Mason

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Andrew J. Mason manages multiple areas of responsibility with relaxed focus. He has a day job in communications, several freelance clients, and a growing family. He describes his journey starting, then restarting GTD. As a self-confessed "to-do list junkie," he has tried OmniFocus, Things, and other apps. His current list manager is 2DO for projects and next actions, Fantastical for calendar, Airmail for email, and OneNote for reference. Even though it's not clear when he sleeps, you'll hear him describe a typical day, waking up to a checklist. And later you'll learn how his up-to-date inventory of commitments allows him to spontaneously choose to do something that is not on any list.

https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=803&trackid=1429

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Andrew J. Mason manages multiple areas of responsibility with relaxed focus. He has a day job in communications, several freelance clients, and a growing family. He describes his journey starting, then restarting GTD. As a self-confessed "to-do list junkie," he has tried OmniFocus, Things, and other apps. His current list manager is 2DO for projects and next actions, Fantastical for calendar, Airmail for email, and OneNote for reference. Even though it's not clear when he sleeps, you'll hear him describe a typical day, waking up to a checklist. And later you'll learn how his up-to-date inventory of commitments allows him to spontaneously choose to do something that is not on any list.

https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=803&trackid=1429
Looking forward to listening to this! Cheers!

Suzanna

Registered
On his rec i downloaded 2do. I'm struggling with creating a checklist that repeats at a certain time. Can you ask him to write up how he created that? It is a great idea especially for brain dead mornings.

AndrewJMason

Registered
Hey there Suzanna,

I'd be happy to share more detail if need be, but I've attached a screenshot where those changes are made. The "start time" is when the checklist will show up in your lists. The "due time" is when it will be due (duh :). and the "notification time" (clock icon) is when you can have it show up on your phone's alerts and jump in front of your face on the lock screen. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 4.02.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 4.02.23 PM.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 19

Suzanna

Registered
oh i think i need to upgrade to the paid version, mine looks totally different. but i think i figured it out.

tchowes

Registered
Finally got around to downloading this Slice of GTD Life and have to say it was a brilliant interview and chat between John and Andrew (I've been kind of stuck listening to the webinars from the past and present). I love how Andrew was relatively agnostic to the technology used and that it was more about following the GTD methodology (I'm sticking with Omnifocus for now I guess). Definitely going to give it another listen soon. Thank you!

Suzanna

Registered
Well 2do has really helped me - right now i'm using it for home projects (and personal fitness) and outlook for work. And it really took some time to figure it out but I feel awesome about it. I'm so thankful Andrew for you flagging this.

AndrewJMason

Registered
My pleasure Suzanna!

I'm so glad you've found it helpful. It seems to be a flexible enough balance for me....to handle large volumes of input/information and let you pull out the actions when defining work, while still letting you see "just what I need to" when pacing's too fast and you need reminders in your face.