20,000ft doesn't seem to fit in

Bertie..

Registered
I've struggled too with this one.

I've now reached a conclusion that the 20k Areas of Responsibility are merely the Current Responsibilities, in the same way as 10k is my Current Projects that I'm working on. Both my 20k & 10k can either be aligned or not to my 40k & 30k perspectives.

For me, I'm beginning to realize that the reason I've struggled with where the 20k fits in is probably because not all of my Current Responsibilities align with my future perspectives (50-30k).

How I handle that, given the real-world constraints, is a different challenge.

treelike

Registered
Gardener said:
When I find that I don't think about something in the way that seems to make sense to most people, I remember that I'm a computer programmer, and I allow myself to use my own choice of mental model. In the context of this discussion, I think that the result is that I make a flatter hierarchy with a spiderweb of connections, rather than a deeper hierarchy where most things go neatly up and down.
This reflects the way I understand that the brain works, a network of neurons connected up like a web which forms our thoughts, imagination and our model of the world. Makes me wonder whether this computer programmer way of thinking is "the natural model making model" and has perhaps been drummed out most of us by being taught to think with hierarchical models.

The different horizons of focus could be analogous to adjusting the focus of a microscope observing these neuronal connections. As you move the focus in and out (up and down) you see the different nodes, representing a certain picture at that focus but there are so many interconnections that trying to make a hierarchical link between the different pictures at each focus is utterly meaningless.