20 rather than 20-200 Project List

furashgf

Registered
I've tried to simplify my GTD process so that I actually do the steps rather than fiddle with ways to keep track of doing the steps :)

I read on one random GTD'ers site that he restricts his project list to only those he is actively committed to working on and able to work on in the next 2 months. This differs from the "Year or less" RULE. He does the normal GTD thing with the rest (defer, etc.).

Right now, I've got well over 20 projects (be careful what you wish for), but I don't honestly have time to work on them all, and some are much more important than others.

Would it be horrible if I changed my GTD project definition from 1 YEAR to Actively Committed to And Able To Work on in the Next 2 Months?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Would it be horrible if I changed my GTD project definition from 1 YEAR to Actively Committed to And Able To Work on in the Next 2 Months?

This is actually the recommendation from us. The guideline of 12-18 months is completion of the whole project--not when you think you'll ever take action. The expectation with that is that you will be taking action in the short term (within days, weeks, few months).

CJSullivan

Registered
kelstarrising;100145 said:
The guideline of 12-18 months is completion of the whole project--not when you think you'll ever take action. The expectation with that is that you will be taking action in the short term (within days, weeks, few months).

This is a great distinction. Even though I've done this for a long time now, it's so easy in the heat of a quick weekly review to forget that just because it can be done within 12-18 months doesn't mean I'm going to do it in that time frame!

Mishina

Registered
If any one Next Action could be as small as 5-15 minutes then total is 1h40min to 5 hours for 20 projects.

Oogiem

Registered
furashgf;100143 said:

Not horrible at all. YOu have todo what works for you.

Just because my life and projects are so different doesn't mean that everyone's are going to fit into *my* definition. Which is, I keep active any project that I could possibly do in that season, typically 3-4 months. And projects for me can span years before being completed.