43 Folders Yes or No

kewms

Registered
For what it's worth, my May folder contains the following items:
* Automatic turnpike toll gizmo. We're moving out of state, so need to return these to the turnpike authority. This one is from my husband's car, which has already left. It's a reminder to retrieve the one from my car, which I still need.

* Dentist appointment reminder card. This is also in my calendar, but the card reminds me to double check the date. I made the appointment six months ago, so who knows what else has come up. (Like moving!)

* Reminder to find an insurance agent in our new location.

* Reminder to evaluate and possibly cancel my web page hosting service. (Moving to a leased server.)

* Reminder to ask my accountant about the tax implications of the move.

* Folder containing my annual and monthly planning sheets, filed for review at my May monthly review.

The folder and the turnpike tag, being bulky physical items, would need to be filed *somewhere* regardless of what I did with the reminder to deal with them. The May folder is as convenient as anywhere else.

The other four items could have been put in an electronic system as dated task items. Since I use a paper system, the alternative to 43 Folders would have been to write them in my calendar for May. This works just as well, and saves a step since I just threw the scraps of paper I captured these on directly into the May folder.

Katherine

Eutychus

Registered
kewms;48137 said:
I went to a paper-based system. And then I bought a Mac.

Haven't missed it.

Katherine

It is not the best piece of work from MicroSoft. Are you still using the paper-based system?

kewms

Registered
Eutychus;48176 said:
Are you still using the paper-based system?

Yes. It took about a month to stabilize once I switched, but since then essentially nothing has changed except I got a nicer notebook to keep it in.

Katherine

Ruud

Registered
I think this may depend on how many future actionable items you have per specific day.

I do not have enough physical items to warrant a 43 folder setup. It quickly became a drag: check empty folder, move empty folder to next month.

Instead I use a 12 folder setup.

Outlook acts as the date-specific tickler. The month folder itself as the future reminder and "support" material.

Outlook reminder comes up: theater date coming up. It's April so those tickets are in the April folder.

Likewise when I come across my December folder it contains cue-cards with things to do/prepare for Christmas.

TesTeq

Registered
Because some of us do not know the future.

kewms;48153 said:
If you were going to need it, why did you put it in the tickler in the first place? I only use my tickler for things I'm unlikely to need before the tickler date.

Because some of us do not know the future. ;-)

You write that:
I only use my tickler for things I'm unlikely to need before the tickler date.

The key is this "unlikely" word. There is some chance that you will need to find the document earlier and in this situations the Inherent Tickler File Search Inefficiency (ITFSI) occurs.

pixlz

Registered
43 Folders Yes or No

Rainer Burmeister;48192 said:
Agreed. The use of the correct British English term "bring forward file" instead that "tickler" slang word would make things easier.

Rainer

My Fiance was in the Airforce and they used the term suspense file.

Sharon

J

Jochen

When I read the book for the first time, a few months ago, I wondered "Why should I start with those 43 folders?" - and never did.
When something gets into my 'In-Box' it never takes more than 2 minutes to get the 'project' started. 'Next action' defined - filed - done.
If it's a bill to be paid it takes less than 2 minutes to enter the data into the accounting programme on my PC ('Quicken') and the sum will be transferred automatically on the preset date - filed - done.
I hardly ever have any physical object linked to a specific date, so there's nothing left for those folders.

W

webhak

I like the term "suspense file" as that seems to describe it pretty well.

The head of our company is a neat freak and is a strong advocate of clean desks...no clutter. He has a history of coming in and cleaning off your desk for you if you do not heed his warnings.

While it might seem a bit draconian, he does have a point in that you can only work on one piece of paper at a time.

I sweep the contents of my desk into the 43 folder system at the end of the day. ;) The next morning, I go to the appropriate date folder and pick up where I left off.

madalu

Registered
webhak;48272 said:
I sweep the contents of my desk into the 43 folder system at the end of the day. ;) The next morning, I go to the appropriate date folder and pick up where I left off.

Nice idea!

webhak;48272 said:
The head of our company is a neat freak and is a strong advocate of clean desks...no clutter. He has a history of coming in and cleaning off your desk for you if you do not heed his warnings.

While it might seem a bit draconian, he does have a point in that you can only work on one piece of paper at a time.

There has to be a law against such managerial bullies. Paper, for some people, is essential for visualizing work. Didn't David Allen say somewhere that piles are organized if you've reviewed and sorted them?

TesTeq

Registered
I've never heard him say this.

madalu;48274 said:
Didn't David Allen say somewhere that piles are organized if you've reviewed and sorted them?

I've never heard David Allen say anything about organized piles.

Due to the laws of physics piles are dificult to organize and maintain. It is nearly impossible to put items in the pile in the A-Z order. And when you try to retrieve a random document the pile spectacularly collapses.

madalu

Registered
TesTeq;48280 said:
I've never heard David Allen say anything about organized piles.

Due to the laws of physics piles are dificult to organize and maintain. It is nearly impossible to put items in the pile in the A-Z order. And when you try to retrieve a random document the pile spectacularly collapses.

I believe he says something about a "to read" pile and/or file. And isn't a tickler file simply organized clusters of information?

I'm not suggesting piles as a permanent filing system. Rather, simply the temporary piles that one creates everyday. E.g., when I'm working I'll have materials out for the current project I'm working on. But I'll also have piles that contain my lists, my calendar, to read, stuff to file at the end of the day--and above all, my inbox.

Ideally, you would try to get everything processed and filed by the end of the day. But if I'm working on a crucial project, I sometimes like to leave the files in a state where I'll be able to pick up right where I left off.

In this regard, a neat freak boss would hinder my productivity. Managers and bosses who delegate everything--and thus like to have their desks and minds "clean"--should have some patience and/or understanding for those who actually have to get their hands dirty with voluminous paperwork.

But the idea of using the tickler for this purpose is a cool trick.

kewms

Registered
FWIW, many "clean desk" environments are that way for a reason, not just because the boss is a neat freak. And many neat freak bosses got that way from years of working in clean desk environments.

The most common reason is security: if you leave stuff lying all over your desk, then anyone can see what you are working on. That's a huge no-no if you're working on classified materials, but not great for any kind of trade secrets. Also not great if you work with confidential client information, like medical, legal, or financial records.

Another reason is safety. If you're working in a research or engineering environment, the stuff on your desk or workbench could easily include hazardous chemicals, ignition sources, and so forth. If you always put everything away, you'll never have to worry about whether you left your soldering iron plugged in.

I've recently become a neat freak because my house is for sale. I don't necessarily want potential buyers to know why I'm moving or where I'm moving to, which means making sure the relocation stuff is tucked away in a drawer. Plus there's the desire to keep the office neat so that it doesn't look any smaller than it actually is. Strangely enough, now that I've gotten in the habit I find that I don't really need all those piles after all...

Katherine

cornell

Registered
I think the tickler *functionality* is crucial for just about everyone. That said, if the # of items in your tickler system is low, or if you don't like managing it every day, there are alternatives.

If using a tickler file: Create the 43 folders as described elsewhere, or buy an all-in-one "sorter" file, e.g., the Staples EveryDay Letter Size File & Sorter, 1-31 & Jan-Dec (Item 422683) or the "Everyday File" from Globe-Weis.

If not, use the "calendar/holding file" technique (as Stephanie Winston calls it) - more in Some common GTD questions, with answers

@

@Stephen

I use 2 methods

Method 1: Home, where I do have things that are date-specific but will not physically fit into my calendar (which I refuse to stuff with notes and errata). this is a full-on 48 folder system (12 months + 31 days this month + 5 days next month). My wife generally gets the mail, takes what she needs, and puts the rest in the In-box. When I get home from work (later than she does), I zip through the In-box: Tickle the bills for the date of the next Weekly Review, toss the junk, Do what may need to get addressed immediately, and Defer the rest to an appropriate time (usually WR day again).
Simple. Then, each morning, while the coffee is brewing, I check the contents of "today's" folder, sync with my paper calendar, and get on with my routine. Again, simple.

Method 2: Work, where I have much less to Tickle (and a CRM that I must use), I just have a 3-ring binder with tabs labeled for each month and 1-31 in the appropriate month's section. There is one sheet of blank, 3-hole punched paper for each day, and I just write down (or punch and insert) whatever might need to be tickled. Most if my work activities go into the CRM and I get an automatic reminder when they are due.

I have found the 48 folders to be invaluable. There is a complete description of my GTD hardware here, and my method for the Weekly Review here (including downloads of Review Checklists).

Let me know what you think.

C

Constant

madalu;48274 said:
There has to be a law against such managerial bullies. Paper, for some people, is essential for visualizing work. Didn't David Allen say somewhere that piles are organized if you've reviewed and sorted them?

Shouldn't the manager be more conscious of productivity over neatness? One thing David Allen did say is "some people have nothing very well organized and some people have Nothing, very well organized." :)

N

nancyrezmer

Tickler Keys

What a great idea to keep the keys in the Tickler File. I have a home office, so the car keys are not a critical item. However, I'm always looking for my reading glasses, so I will give them a new home tonight to improve my tickler batting average. I think the reading glasses might be the "key" to getting those tickler files opened everyday.

Nancy:-D

jkgrossi

Registered
I find my tickler file to be an essential piece of my system...

It's great for things that you want to act on, but not right now. Yes, you could put these items on your calendar... but personally, I don't like things cluttering up my calendar. It turns the nice, hard edges of that landscape into something less desirable.

To give you an example, I'm in the process of interviewing candidates for an open position on my team. I've got a bunch of them tomorrow, and the individual appointments are on my calendar. What do I do with the actual resumes? I could put them in a file folder labeled 'resumes', but if I'm going to file them anyway why not put them into the tickler system?

Tomorrow when I come in, they'll be right there in my inbox waiting for me.

As another example, today I went to the doc. He said, 'call me in June to schedule an appointment for July'... Now, I could put a note in my calendar for June 1st that says "Call Dr. for July appt". Problem is, MUST I call him on June 1st? No... so now the hard edges of my calendar are getting muddy...

What if I don't call him on June 1st? I suppose I could move the reminder... but there you go again messing w/the calendar. So... what did I do? I simply put a note "Call Dr. for July appt" in my June folder. When I bring it forward, I'll pick a day and drop it in that folder. If that day comes up and I don't feel like calling, I'll pick another day and drop it in that folder...

The tickler is useful for all sorts of things like that.... Tickets to a play - drop them in the folder for that day. Random $5 or $10 bill... nice surprise to come into one morning...

Jim