A Review of Stylish GTD Apps

mcogilvie

Registered
Triggaaar;99049 said:
Once I learn the ropes I'm keen to try ThinkingRock. I see Tom hasn't reviewed it as it seemed too complex, but it is really more complex than the multi app Toodledo solutions?

I haven't looked at it in a long time, but as I recall t it seemed a bit rigid, and a bit Java-ish, i.e., ugly UI.

billjw

Registered
Wunderlist

Triggaaar;99049 said:
Producteev and Wunderlist look good, except they're missing some GTD elements.

I'm using Wunderlist now. There are some small things that could be attended to. I was using Astrid which was quite good. Something made me try Wunderlist again and it's working nicely. I've asked them if we can sort Lists alphabetically or numerically, just so you can find your list quickly and if we can hide lists with no tasks attached and waiting to hear back from them. I have an Android phone, tablet and use Windows at work so need to access the web app.

I also like Any.Do (nice clean interface but probably not really GTD ready) I really must stop playing with software though.

Of course if I had my iPhone I'd be on OmniFocus no question ... :)

tommysqueak

Registered
I love Wunderlist too, I love its UI and simplicity. I use it in a kind of personal kanban manner for my work projects. Which works but I think it lacks tags/contexts for a GTD system.

AJS

Registered
Producteev

Producteev now has an updated native android app out there which supports the sub task feature of the web version. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of Astrid but the sync is much cleaner and it does the job well. So far for me it's the closest I've seen to a perfect combination of web app and mobile version to match.

billjw

Registered
Wunderlist - reprise

I liked wunderlist as I said above and I like it's interface. I struck what I would call a killer snag last week. Taking notes at an important meeting and then I went and checked another program, calendar I think for an up coming follow up meeting and when I returned to WL, the notes had gone!!

Fast typing ensured to pick up where I had left off ... not very productive. To be fair, not sure if this is WL or Android. But it was a real PITA!

So I am left with a couple of choices:
Any.Do - clean interface, quick entry. Syncing of folders doesn't seem to be working between phone and tablet. Email sent to developer.
Astrid - almost too many entry options but I don't have to use them all.

Of course there is OmniFocus if I go an get an iPhone!

billjw

Registered
Nice work Tom

I think the point of finding a "perfect" GTD app is going to be difficult. We're all different and evolving in our own way and how we manage things. It's difficult for apps and developers to keep up with the human brain ... Unless you get someone who is a savant in this area who is always ahead of the curve (any volunteers?) :)

Then again, you've done a great job identifying the 10% missing in most cases ... so perhaps my glass is currently half empty.

I can see the effort you put into this an it is remarkable... again, well done.

I was using Any.Do but I make fairly simple lists. I've just update my phone to ICS so trying Astrid again. (I'm on annual leave so I have to time to dabble a little)

But when I go back to work I have to follow David's advice: "Make it up ... Make it Happen!"

sbolton

Registered
This has been very interesting to read.

I am wondering if you liked MyLifeOrganized at one time. Did you switch because it wasn't doing the job for you? It looks interesting to me.

Thank you.

SB

dalewking

Registered
sbolton;100499 said:
I retract this question. It seems like it caused this thread to stop.

The real discussion is in the comments of his posts. Personally, I have tried MLO several times (starting way back on Windows Mobile) and it never quite clicked for me. I like that it was hierarchical but it was always difficult to get a smaller picture of tasks.

The lack of any way to use it on Mac now makes it a non-starter for me.

sbolton

Registered
I have learned not to read the first post and ask questions (or at least 99.99% of the time).

This has been very interesting and I think will save me a great deal of time. I can't "Get Things Done" if I had to test all this software.

I think I will have to be a blend of paper and software for awhile. I am actually using drawers for different lists right now.

It does not take long to really, really like Wunderlist. Could they make it any simpler? Very friendly.

I am trying Producteev and perhaps it is a matter of getting used to, as I find it a tiny bit more difficult than Wunderlist. I want simple but effect. Both have almost no learning curve.

Thanks for the great round up of products. Very helpful.

Steve Bolton

tommysqueak

Registered
sbolton;100452 said:
I am wondering if you liked MyLifeOrganized at one time. Did you switch because it wasn't doing the job for you? It looks interesting to me.

I switched away from MLO for 2 reasons. I bought a nice new shiny macbook pro, so I was looking for something for Mac and Android. MLO is quite complex and I don't think an app needs to be. With MLO you can have sub-folders/tasks inside sub-folder/tasks and so on and I was using that. I thought I can actually keeps things simpler, I don't needs these n-levels, it only makes things harder to DO actions. So I'm simplifying how I organise my tasks (regardless of technical solution) and this ties in with looking for a simpler app.

AJS

Registered
Doit.im Pro

Doit.im has gone Pro recently with the option to to buy a subscription which at $20/yr isn't too hard on the pocket. There's some increased functionality to go with it which includes email tasks to inbox, drag and drop functionality, Google Calendear integration and a new Review feature which is pretty impressive. You get to do a daily review and integrated weekly review which you can save locally as a report.

I still think the web app could do with a bolder font, but other than that it's one of the few task management apps which provides both a comprehensive desktop and native mobile solution on Android. It looks like Flow which has some nice features like attaching files but cost $99 a year. For that you don't even get a native mobile app whereas Doit.im Pro offers one of the best in class.

rp2chil

Registered
Thanks, I have also delved into the Doit.im tool since your post

I too have been researching and trying to find "the one." And yes, it doesn't exist, but I did find since your post that Doit.im is pretty cool. I know this is nit, however, I found that some of the other applications that I reviewed, after I signed up with the site, I never got any confirmations and followups. Doit.im site did, and that impressed me and for $20 a year, that's not a bad thing. I am just trying to figure out how to use it.. and I will get there.

Thanks again.

AJS;101631 said:
Doit.im has gone Pro recently with the option to to buy a subscription which at $20/yr isn't too hard on the pocket. There's some increased functionality to go with it which includes email tasks to inbox, drag and drop functionality, Google Calendear integration and a new Review feature which is pretty impressive. You get to do a daily review and integrated weekly review which you can save locally as a report.

I still think the web app could do with a bolder font, but other than that it's one of the few task management apps which provides both a comprehensive desktop and native mobile solution on Android. It looks like Flow which has some nice features like attaching files but cost $99 a year. For that you don't even get a native mobile app whereas Doit.im Pro offers one of the best in class.

Triggaaar

Registered
I tried Doit a few months ago, and didn't like the fact that I could have sub projects. Most of my actions are small jobs that make up a mini project, within another project - is that my problem that I'm not following GTD properly, or should our app have sub projects? If it's my mistake, how should we do it (no pun intended)?