A worthy of GTD 'algorithm'?

gtdstudente

Registered
A worthy thought in regards to Next Actions:

'Plow' through what is being Avoided/Dreaded . . . in order to Savor what is Enjoyable

Last edited:

mcogilvie

Registered
'Plow" through what is being Avoided in order to Savor what is Enjoyable
I feel like a big part of recent improvements in my practice of GTD has been embracing all my time-sensitive projects and actions. While I still have periods of avoidance where I work on something else, for the most part there’s no “plowing”. The work has to be done (or re-negotiated) so I may as well do a workmanlike job and enjoy doing it. I think I’m mostly past going through all five stages of GTD grief – denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance, but I can’t rule out the occasional backsliding.

gtdstudente

Registered
I feel like a big part of recent improvements in my practice of GTD has been embracing all my time-sensitive projects and actions. While I still have periods of avoidance where I work on something else, for the most part there’s no “plowing”. The work has to be done (or re-negotiated) so I may as well do a workmanlike job and enjoy doing it. I think I’m mostly past going through all five stages of GTD grief – denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance, but I can’t rule out the occasional backsliding.
@mcogilvie,

Very nice . . . you are at functioning at a GTD level that can/should be aspired to on a daily basis without hesitation for greater GTD performance

Thank you very much

Ps. In terms of "recent improvements in my practice of GTD has been embracing all my time-sensitive projects and actions" do all list items remain in place?

For love of GTD improvement on this end as well, an additional intermediary 'Inventory list' has been created 'between' Someday/Maybe and the current Projects and Next Action lists to make the [current {"time-sensitive"} / intuitive] Projects and Next Action lists as optimally useful as possible in the hopes of minimizing, mitigating, neutralizing any frictional numbness and overwhelm concerns all encompassing Projects and Next Action lists might unintentionally cause with the intention of keeping the [current/intuitive/"time-sensitive"] Projects and Next Action lists as attractive, desirable, and as robustly "time-sensitive" as possible to blow 'avoidance/dread' out of the water for mind like water

That being said, it is quite bewildering to me as to why a simple Project list and Context lists are insufficient for mind like water?

Again, thank you very much

mcogilvie

Registered
[

Ps. In terms of "recent improvements in my practice of GTD has been embracing all my time-sensitive projects and actions" do all list items remain in place?
Sort of. I was thinking about David Allen’s recommendation to use the calendar for next actions that must be done today. It’s really a big exception to the use of context lists, and it never worked for me. What did work was to make a folder in Things at the top of all folders which I call ”Timely” where I put projects and single next actions which are time-sensitive now. That’s it. Next actions are associated with their projects if they have one, they still have contexts, the usual. What I’ve given up is the explicit association with an Area of Focus, which I found I don’t need. I’ve checked that I can make this work in Omnifocus as well. It’s really just putting time-sensitive things where I don’t miss them. I do move whole projects in and out of the Timely Folder, but not that often; usually it’s during the weekly review,