Abandon the 2-Minute Rule

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by PTKen, Jul 18, 2017.

1. PTKen

PTKen Registered

When I create this thread last week, I did not know that it would take this long before I had a chance to come back again. What a lively discussion! This is fantastic and I thank everyone for their comments. Sadly, I'm at work right now and don't have time to properly respond to everything the way that I want to, so I'll just say that I'll be back (hopefully before next week!) to post a proper reply. Thanks again for such a great conversation. :)

2. Gardener

Gardener Registered

I'm still not following your point. I suspect I'm not going to. It sounds rather as if you're saying that we must follow the two-minute rule because we must follow the two-minute rule. I doubt that that's what you're saying, but that's what I'm hearing.

My point remains that if doing two-minute actions when encountered is a disruption/distraction for a given person, it can be better to just note them and do them later.

3. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

In my last comment my point was: as a non-native English speaker I apparently misunderstood the subtleties of the meaning of the word "browse". That's all. It was never my intention to criticize your way of doing GTD. I'm sorry.

4. Gardener

Gardener Registered

Oh! I've never gotten the faintest vibe that you weren't a native English speaker, so I thought you were being sarcastic. :) Sorry about that.

5. Castanea_d.

Castanea_d. Registered

Organist/Choirmaster
    Home Page:
    One of the values of the two-minute rule for me is that it keeps me from getting stuck on one item while processing the in box, e-mail etc. I have to fight the tendency to go ahead and get the thing done now when the better thing is to put it in a folder with an action TBD, start a Project for it, etc., and get on with processing the rest of the incoming stuff, or working on existing TBDs that have higher urgency/priority/relevance to context.

But it is also valuable as others have mentioned in simply getting a lot of "little" things done so they are not clogging up the system (or worse yet, your mind because you haven't gotten them into your system! Been there.)

6. Thaneth

Thaneth GTD Connect

For me, If it's during weekly review, shorten the 2-mins to reduce the "get clear" time. So we can focus on the get current.
    But 2-min rule still make wonder during the clarify step to avoid my procrastination.

7. Gardener

Gardener Registered

Oh! See, I never thought of it that way. I interpreted the rule as, "If it will only take two minutes, you SHOULD interrupt yourself to do it!" and my response is, "Nope."

If the rule has the effect of, "If it takes more than two minutes, don't interrupt yourself to do it!" and you might otherwise get distracted by it, yeah, that's dandy.

8. Johnny

Johnny Registered

Honestly, this is exactly the attitude that makes me comfortable about using GTD. You see, studying cults has been something of a hobby of mine for a couple of years (Scientology is the one I know by far the best), and by page 50 of the book, I knew that there had to be some link to New Age religions and I googled about it. Yup, the links are definitely there; but this paragraph pretty much sums up why I am ultimately comfortable with it: David Allen isn't trying to play it up as being something needs to be followed to the letter. Some of the "mind like water" things are definitely a little creepy, but it stays within reason as long as you are reasonable about it. Neither writing down all your open loops nor discharging all your engrams is going to get you there all the time - though both might help at times. In any case, this isn't the right place to go in depth on this.

Ultimately, I think it's important that we not only reform our lives to fit "the system" but also reform the system to fit our lives. On one extreme is dangerous and the other is useless - striking a good middle ground is where you really get the maximum benefit.