accessing an Outlook task list from the command line

D

dalelane

I've written some simple Windows command-line tools to let me work with my Microsoft Outlook todo items a little quicker.

They've been really useful to me, so if anyone else thinks they might be their sort of thing, you're welcome to have a copy - download from here

The idea was nicked from the Todo.txt articles at Lifehacker.com - articles describing how a todo list could be stored as a plain text file, using a series of scripts to manage it.

I liked the idea of being able to throw stuff at my task list quickly. I spend a lot of time at the command prompt, and this means I can add an entry to my task list when I think of it - without interrupting what I am doing. It means not needing to Alt-Tab to Microsoft Outlook, waiting for it to wake up, opening a new Form... all of which takes me away from what I was doing when I thought of whatever task needed capturing on my list.

It means that tasks that I might have otherwise not bothered capturing - when in the middle of work that I didn't want to be distracted from - are now more likely to be thrown at my action list. And that has made a massive difference to how effective my personal GTD-implementation is.

The tools let me add a new task, view current tasks, and mark a task as complete.

Peter Gallant

Registered
GyroQ for Outlook?

I would be very keen on seeing a small Windows app not unlike the new GyroQ application for MindManager (www.gyronix.com) that would allow rapid input to the Outlook task list (or Next Action list, of course) for rapid capture/input. The problem with GyroQ is that it dumps the tasks to MindManager, which you need to open and then potentially export to Outlook - a bit too cumbersome / too much "system overhead" for me...

Has anyone seen such a beast?

Another cool app would be a way of designating an email address in outlook that you could email yourself tasks with from the email subject line while you're on the road - something like "@Calls - DPD Auto xxx-xxx-xxxx re. book oil change appointment"...

Regards,
Peter

fokke.kooistra

Registered
Peter Gallant said:
Has anyone seen such a beast?

Hi Peter,

A friend of mine wrote a program that maybe does the trick for you. It is called:Fingertips.

I myself are on a Mac. I use Quicksilver in combination with an Applescript to quickly add todo items.

Fk