Action Lists: New GTD iPhone App

ceperry

Registered
Action Lists 2.1.0 Now Available

Version 2.1.0 of Action Lists has been accepted by Apple. It should appear in the App Store within the day. Version 2.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.

These changes are included in version 2.1.0:

* Added a Quick Task screen that makes it easy to quickly add several tasks at a time.
* Added the ability to convert a task to a project. This is intended to be used primarily for Inbox items. Upon review, it might become apparent that an entered task should instead be a project. This feature is meant to make that more seamless.
* Added a small icon to task cells in lists to indicate if the task has a note assigned to it.
* Changed all "Add" icons (with a plus sign) to "Compose" icons, to make them clearly differentiated from the new Quick Task feature.
* Changed all "Save" buttons to "Done" buttons to make them consistent with keyboard Done buttons.
* Polished the interface. Table rows text now display as white text on a blue background (as suggested by the iPhone Human Interface Guidelines). Changed all table row icons to display as white when highlighted.
* Improved checkbox interaction. Increased landing area for checkbox taps, and added a glow around selected checkboxes.
* Fixed a rare crashing bug.
* Fixed a few other minor bugs.

For more details and screenshots, visit the Action Lists homepage at http://software.dazeend.org/action_lists

Tom Munch

Registered
Charles,

I'm trying out Action Lists against several other GTD apps now on my new iPod Touch as I contemplate a move from BlackBerry to iPhone. I like what I see so far. Keep up the good work!

Tom Munch

ceperry

Registered
Thanks for the kind words. There are more features on the way! I'm working on search functionality right now. It should be ready in a couple weeks. I hope you continue to find Action Lisst useful.

ceperry

Registered
Version 2.2.0 of Action Lists is now available in the iPhone App Store. Version 2.2.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs. These changes are included in version 2.2.0:

- Added search to all major lists. Just scroll to the top of the list to search.

- Changed task detail display so that when you tap a task's note, it takes you to a screen that parses the note for web addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers and displays them as hyperlinks. When those hyperlinks are tapped, Safari, Mail, or the Phone are opened, as appropriate.

- Action Lists can now turn the contents of your clipboard (or "pasteboard") into tasks. Just copy text that contains the titles of tasks (perhaps from an email you received), click on the lightning bolt to open the Quick Task screen, dismiss the keyboard, and use the button in the toolbar. This feature will turn each line of text in your pasteboard into a separate task.

- Improved the user interface.

- Fixed a bug that offset due dates and start dates when leaving Daylight Savings time.

- Fixed some other minor user interface bugs.

ceperry

Registered
Incidently, if you're wondering why you should consider Action Lists on the iPhone and iPod touch for managing your GTD lists, here's a couple reasons:

Action Lists is a specialized tool for Getting Things Done. Most of the popular productivity apps for the iPhone support GTD in some manner, but they do it while trying to still appeal to a general audience. In the process, their GTD support becomes watered down and less than it could be. Action Lists doesn't make this mistake. It's designed specifically for GTD, and doesn't make compromises.

Action Lists features a better, faster, way to access your information. In most other "to do" apps for the iPhone, if you are browsing your tasks by context and you want to look at a project, you have to back out of the several menu items that you had earlier accessed, and then drill down into the project. Not in Action Lists. Action Lists features a convenient tab bar user interface that puts your projects a single tap away. In fact, in Action Lists all of your GTD lists are available at the tap of a single button on the tab bar.

Action Lists syncs to the cloud. Unlike other popular iPhone apps which only sync to a home computer, Action Lists synchronizes with the popular, and free, Toodledo web service. From Toodledo you can connect to a number of different applications and services including Apple iCal, Microsoft Outlook, Jott.com, Google Calendars, and more. If you choose to upgrade to a paid Toodledo account, you can take advantage of features that let you share and collaborate with others online.

Action Lists has all the features you expect in a powerful task manager. In Action Lists, your tasks and lists are fully searchable so that you can find what you need easily. Action Lists also allows you to divide projects into more managable subprojects, create tasks that repeat on a schedule that you choose, and turn your iPhone sideways to display a larger landscape keyboard. Features like these help create a tool that is powerful and easy to use.

Action Lists goes beyond the expected to offer features that competing apps don't have. Because Action Lists is a dedicated GTD tool, it can offer GTD-specific features that wouldn't make sense in a general purpose app. For instance, you can set up a "tickler file" in Action Lists so that future tasks remain hidden until a user-specified start date. Then, when the start date is reached, they appear in your inbox, ready for processing. Action Lists also offers the ability to email tasks to others from within the app, and a unique feature that creates a list of tasks from the contents of your iPhone's clipboard -- great to have when someone sends you an email with a list of things to do.

If you want more information about Action Lists, or want to see screenshot of the app, please visit its webpage.

ceperry

Registered
Free promo codes!

I hope everyone is having happy holidays. Since it's the third day of Christmas, I thought I'd give three of you a free copy of Action Lists GTD task manager for the iPhone. To use one of the promo codes below, just enter it into the App Store like an iTunes gift card. (Only good in the U.S. App Store. Sorry.)

If you aren't one of the lucky ones able to redeem a promo code for a free copy, I hope you'll still take a look at Action Lists. It is one of the few iPhone apps built specifically for GTD and features easy access to all your GTD lists. It also syncs to the web, let's you share tasks via email, and use subprojects. For full details, visit the Action Lists homepage.

Here are the promo codes:
XKWXW7Y36NM6
LHMNLEM6AAH9
LH4FEK4TFHLP

Have a Happy New Year!

P.S. If you haven't looked at Action Lists in a while, it might be worth another look. It's improved quite a bit in the last few months!

tedpenner

Registered
I bought Action Lists

This is a fantastic app for the iPhone. You are correct in that other apps "designed for GTD" are largely missing from the iPhone. I've tried lots of them and none of them work as well as this does. Also the one-time fee of $10 is the right price-point I think. It's nice that it integrates with the free Tooledo also. I think I have it configured just how I need it now.

I would ditto one of your blog poster's suggestions regarding "Next Actions". This is a confusing term really because, once you get down to it, you find out that there are really two processes involved there.

Next Action Process 1 -
One is too define exactly what Next Action really means i.e. "get tire fixed" becomes "Call xyz auto at 555-5555 to set appointment" thereby nailing down what the very next action actually is.

Next Action Process 2 -
This second process around next actions is simply to ensure that "A" next action is defined for each project, each week. This is the "Lynchpin" of GTD. What many of us try to do during what David refers to as the critical "Weekly Review period", is simply to Mark the most important next action for each project. You're program is perfectly suited for this and could easily integrate it with the Stars in Toodledo. I would very much like to have this available in the iPhone itself.

For me, this weekly review process is the hardest part of GTD to really grab onto. Mentally, doing this task while sitting in a Dr's office or waiting in a makes alot of sense. I definitely have a mental block against doing it when I am sitting at my desk among many more enticing opportunities.

Just food for thought. Thank you for such a fantastic App. GTD has changed my life for the better.

ceperry

Registered
Thanks for the kind words. I've tried really hard to make Action Lists a tool that makes GTD easier to implement. It's nice to hear that you think I'm on the right track.

As for your suggestions... I think that the upgrade that will be coming out in the next few weeks will address many of your suggestions.

ceperry

Registered
Action Lists 2.3.0

I’m happy to announce that a new version of Action Lists GTD Task Manager is now available in the App Store. Highlights of this version include:

* An “Active” status has been added that will allow users to better plan out their projects. (Active tasks don’t appear in action lists/context lists.)
* Automatic task queuing that promotes Active tasks to Next Actions whenever a task is completed. (This is sometimes referred to as “sequential projects”.)
* A new “Due Soon” feature that highlights tasks as their due date is approaching.
* Localizations. Action Lists is now available in English, German, French, Spanish, and Japanese.

Action Lists was built from the ground up to support Getting Things Done, and I think that you'll find that these most recent changes have made Action Lists an even better tool to support GTD on your iPhone or iPod touch. A full list of changes in this version can be found on the Daze End Software blog. I hope that you'll check it out.

ceperry

Registered
Action Lists 2.5.0 Now Available!

Hey guys! I'm pretty excited to announce that the new version (v2.5.0) of Action Lists GTD Task Manager is now available in the iPhone App Store. Action Lists was built specifically for GTD. I tried to take everything that I learned from David Allen's book and the GTD Mastering Workflow seminar that I attended (I very highly recommend it, by the way) and combine those ideas into what I thought was the perfect mobile GTD tool. I hope that you'll take a look at Action Lists in the App Store, and consider a purchase.

To celebrate, here are some promo codes good for a download of Action Lists from the App Store. (Good in the U.S. App Store only. Sorry.) Just redeem them in iTunes like a gift card. Enjoy!

Promo Codes:
NW644YHT4JYX
LKYWR6W7R6KE
4XPWMMX44NLP

Below is a list of improvements in this version. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by email or on Twitter.

New in this version:
  • Compatible with iOS 4.
  • Updated icons to take advantage of Retina Display in iPhone 4.
  • Updated networking code for more robust syncing with Toodledo
  • Table cells now dynamically resize their height to accommodate long task titles
  • Added option to sort lists by context.
  • Long lists should now scroll faster and more smoothly.
  • Updated application icon

policarpo

Registered
Thanks for the Code, I'll give a whirl.

The app crashes a lot. I don't have a specific scenario in which it crashes repeatedly, but it does seem that the more I move a Task from Project to Project or change a Task to a Project, the app becomes very unstable.

I wish I could be more specific, but seeing how it performs doesn't make me want to invest time in filling it with Tasks. I'll wait for a stability update before testing it anymore.

I'll see if I can put together a repeatable flow that repeats the instability I am experiencing on my freshly installed iOS 4 on the iPhone 4.

ceperry

Registered
I'm sorry that you've had problems with Action Lists. If you've had a crash, I'd appreciate it if you would submit a crash log so that I can diagnose the problem and get it fixed. To find the crash log, you'll need to sync your iPhone to iTunes and then follow the instructions on this web page. After you've zipped up the crash log, you can send it to software@dazeend.org.

If you have any more problems please post in the forums at Daze End Software. Although I do periodically check these forums, you'll get a much faster response in the Daze End forums.

Thanks for your assistance with the crash log and, again, I'm sorry that you've experienced problems.

humblepie

Registered
i think part of my reason for switching from Action Lists to 2Do on my iPod Touch 3G is this: Every recurring task that i completed the next one gets move to inbox. It really slows down my productivity having to move them again to where they are suppose to.

ceperry

Registered
I'm sorry that Action Lists didn't meet your needs. If you ever decide to use it again, know that you can turn that option off. (Judging from your description...) The default setup is for recurring tasks that have a start date to show up in your Inbox (like a Tickler file) but as I said, that can be turned off.

humblepie

Registered
hey man, i have a great time using it, just that i feel 2do suits me more. but trust me your support is much better lol!

ceperry

Registered
I got another report of that too. I think I found the root cause of the problems that some have had with this version, and I've submitted a bug fix update to Apple. It was submitted several days ago, so I'm hopeful that it will be approved any day now. I'm sorry for the trouble that you've had.