Advice needed about implementing GTD in my new living space" version 2.0 as suggested by Mrs-polifax

cfoley

Registered
1. You probably don't need to buy anything. GTD is a set of habits, not a set of equipment.

I started with a cardboard box as an inbox and loose sheets of A4 paper. One sheet for Projects, one for Someday/Maybe and several for Next Actions (one for each context).

You will probably want more in time (I did), but I see this as the bare minimum to get started, and I think it is better to start immediately than it is to put it off until you have bought some gear.

2. It's fine the way it is. Just get started. Once you have been doing GTD for a while, you will notice things that you want to change. Capture them into the inbox as they occur to you, and allow those ideas to become Projects, Someday/Maybe items or Trash as appropriate.

1. You probably don't need to buy anything. GTD is a set of habits, not a set of equipment.

I started with a cardboard box as an inbox and loose sheets of A4 paper. One sheet for Projects, one for Someday/Maybe and several for Next Actions (one for each context).

You will probably want more in time (I did), but I see this as the bare minimum to get started, and I think it is better to start immediately than it is to put it off until you have bought some gear.

2. It's fine the way it is. Just get started. Once you have been doing GTD for a while, you will notice things that you want to change. Capture them into the inbox as they occur to you, and allow those ideas to become Projects, Someday/Maybe items or Trash as appropriate.

ITM
right

Yeah I was same just started with one in tray when made my account on this fourm after read the book.

"sheet for Projects, one for Someday/Maybe and several for Next Actions" I really feel off track - for example I really haven't been doing weekly review or this stuff consistently for 30 days, a month.

want more in time to implement GTD?

Yes I should capture my wants .

"better to start immediately than it is to put it off until you have bought some gear." yeah but some investments in improvements could also be helpful e.g. Allen has stuff on website like types calendar/diaries/note taker pen - I was thinking maybe I should try focusing using technology. S

cfoley

Registered
One thing I have noticed in my own GTD system is that the choice of next action is important. Some next actions really do bring me closer to a project outcome, but others don't don't seem to move me closer at all. The insidious thing about the second group is that they sound like they are the right thing to do.

For example, I need a new extension cable for my office. I have already measured the required length and counted the number of plug sockets, so the next action is "Google for comparison reviews of extension cable brands". Sounds great, except that none of the reviews of extension cables are useful to me. They tend to compare things like the features of the cables rather than more difficult to discern things like fire risk safety and expected lifespan. A much better next action for me would have been "Make a shortlist of extension cables". After that, I would have a list of several that met my requirements, allowing me to ultimately choose and buy one of those.

I feel that in your case, buying more GTD gear might not move you closer to the goal of a working GTD system that serves you. Practising the core habits will move you closer to that goal, and since you mentioned not having done the weekly review in a month, I suggest that the next thing to do would be a weekly review. Don't worry about getting it perfect. Just do one. Afterwards, you can reflect on how it went and what yo can do better next time.

I do, however, understand the allure of gear and accept that you are more likely to pick up and use gear that is attractive to you. I use Moleskinne notebooks and a mechanical pencil for my lists, colourful folders and a label maker for my paper files, and Obsidian for my digital notes. Given that you are thinking about digital tools, I don't think my choices will work for you.

One thing I have noticed in my own GTD system is that the choice of next action is important. Some next actions really do bring me closer to a project outcome, but others don't don't seem to move me closer at all. The insidious thing about the second group is that they sound like they are the right thing to do.

For example, I need a new extension cable for my office. I have already measured the required length and counted the number of plug sockets, so the next action is "Google for comparison reviews of extension cable brands". Sounds great, except that none of the reviews of extension cables are useful to me. They tend to compare things like the features of the cables rather than more difficult to discern things like fire risk safety and expected lifespan. A much better next action for me would have been "Make a shortlist of extension cables". After that, I would have a list of several that met my requirements, allowing me to ultimately choose and buy one of those.

I feel that in your case, buying more GTD gear might not move you closer to the goal of a working GTD system that serves you. Practising the core habits will move you closer to that goal, and since you mentioned not having done the weekly review in a month, I suggest that the next thing to do would be a weekly review. Don't worry about getting it perfect. Just do one. Afterwards, you can reflect on how it went and what yo can do better next time.

I do, however, understand the allure of gear and accept that you are more likely to pick up and use gear that is attractive to you. I use Moleskinne notebooks and a mechanical pencil for my lists, colourful folders and a label maker for my paper files, and Obsidian for my digital notes. Given that you are thinking about digital tools, I don't think my choices will work for you.

-next action
what you refer as second group?

" A much better next action for me would have been "Make a shortlist of extension cables". After that, I would have a list of several that met my requirements," what is a short list? a short list of cables you did personal research on?

"GTD gear might not move you closer to the goal of a working GTD system" yeah I agree need to go over GTD book (the system) and do weekly review of in-tray stuff, define what next actions are of the ideas I collected.

"allure

" I use Moleskinne notebooks and a mechanical pencil for my lists, colourful folders and a label maker for my paper files," maybe I should look up these physical things you mentioned to help - for example help invest in tools to help using drawing/art for organization as @Mrs-Polifax

Obsidian for my digital notes. I don't understand what you referring to here obsidian is name of type of rock - your saying some type of digital programme?

" Given that you are thinking about digital tools, I don't think my choices will work for you." well I can try digital and physical, maybe what you are doing would work for myself also, I should search your profile? "s

cfoley

Registered
The first group I was talking about was actions that move me closer to my desired outcome. The second group was actions that feel like they should move me closer to my desired outcome but don't really.

The Obsidian I was referring to is software for taking and organising notes. It uses an art representation of the rock you mentioned as its logo.

Moleskinnes are good. I like them, but any notebook will do the same job. In fact, there are other brands that I might try out when I need some new ones.

The first group I was talking about was actions that move me closer to my desired outcome. The second group was actions that feel like they should move me closer to my desired outcome but don't really.

The Obsidian I was referring to is software for taking and organising notes. It uses an art representation of the rock you mentioned as its logo.

Moleskinnes are good. I like them, but any notebook will do the same job. In fact, there are other brands that I might try out when I need some new ones.
I mean I have paper, regular journals and stuff
"Moleskin is a heavy cotton fabric, woven and then shorn to create a short, soft pile on one side"

Obsidian I was referring to is software for taking and organising notes
just searched that and found [https://obsidian.md/] - looks professional, no idea where you found this website from - maybe I should start using this, to start with (while I haven't really done anything digital like Allen writes in book being able to do with types of programmes '

Moleskine, the notebook:

I think I heard about Obsidian on this forum.
ITM
Thanks getting back quick.
I checked that website link - see basically is just better quality writing notebook and tools? Had the thought - probably don't need get products on that website because I have enough notebook/paper in my living space - maybe I would ask for that for birthday gift or Christmas gift if write it on my calendar on my wall?

I wrote my previous reply while it was late in day.

"mechanical pencil for my lists, colourful folders and a label maker for my paper files,"

I bought a set of 4 mechanical pencils not so long ago maybe three four months on amazon, - I think that I got them after I saw them recommended by Allen @DavidAllen as example tool in his book. I tried using them and maybe felt as if (for writing and not drawing) they didn't feel the best for myself. I can't remember which number/type number type number of the pencil I got, I would have to check, I think I posted pic about them on my FB after I was looking on the amazon reviews more info about them...

"colourful folders and a label maker "

Yeah I do in my room have some type of plastic basic black folder with button and cardboard folder. Not completely sure what is a "label maker".

I had the thought maybe @Mrs-Polifax would have something say about recommendations (three previous replies) you have shared with me here) - because he's someone who tried practicing drawing/art trying to use GTD. At retail shop where I work at there is sort of a section for art where maybe there is better value type products such as sketch pad or things such as cheap "water based markers" I wonder if ever herd of those? could they be helpful for GTD?" s

cfoley

Registered
I think that you should choose something that you enjoy writing with. Beyond that, I don't think that agonising over what particular kind of paper or writing implement will help to build your GTD habits.

I think that you should choose something that you enjoy writing with. Beyond that, I don't think that agonising over what particular kind of paper or writing implement will help to build your GTD habits.
"I maybe have too many pens/pencils , in the past I had/have problem with not having best handwriting, wonder if way I can make it so that many handwriting is fully eligible all the time?"s