Advice switching from Gmail to Outlook 2013 (or if I should just move to IQTell, etc)

carbussf

Registered
Hi. I am just getting started with GTD and it seems like Outlook 2013 (with the GTD add-in) would be a better fit for me than Google Apps to implement GTD. I like many aspects of Outlook (the design, the ability to work offline, the ability to delay sending messages, etc.) However, I have come across the challenge of trying to move multiple gmail accounts (1 personal, 3 google apps) to Outlook 2013 across my 2 PCs, my Macbook Air and my iPhone and the solution seems very precarious - my main google app business email account linked to Exchange, the other gmail accounts linked via IMAP and some other solution via iCloud for the Mac). Then there is the additional challenge in Outlook 2013 of having multiple inbox accounts and not being able to view an overlap all of my calendars and those that others share with me.

My question - has anyone overcome these challenges in Outlook 2013 and, if so, any advice on how to do this (maybe a third-party syncing solution)? And what will I give up by not using Outlook 2013 and using something like IQTell or Wunderlist? I would hate to do all of the work of getting up to speed on IQTell only to find that it lacks an important function I need for work (such as inability to format emails properly, accept calendar invites from all platforms, etc.)

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! (Please be upfront if you work for any of these companies in your reply)

Thanks so much.

Folke

Registered
Frankly (very frankly) I do not see the point in even trying to have the email and the actions in the same app.

I have been using Google Apps for ages, and Outlook before that, and the first and last time I tried to do both email and actions in the same app was in the late '90s (Outlook). (And I played briefly with IQTell for a few days, but not because of the email aspect).

I am not enticed by apps such as IQTell or Outlook that aim (or claim) to "integrate" email and actions.

TesTeq

Registered
Folke said:
Frankly (very frankly) I do not see the point in even trying to have the email and the actions in the same app.

I agree.

And more. ;-)

I think you need some barrier between your inbox and your trusted system to force you to clarify the incoming stuff. If you've got emails and your lists in one tool (for example Microsoft Outlook) it is so easy to copy an email to a task list without thinking.

carbussf

Registered
Thank you both for your advice. I understand the advantage of not mindlessly making emails into task, but isn't it often helpful to have the email (or attachments) as a reference for the task? Also, Folke - are you still using Google Apps and, if so, what other software are you using for GTD? Gmail and google calendar have been working fine for me, but I thought that there might be advantages to moving to Outlook for implementing GTD.

Thank you again.

Folke

Registered
carbussf said:
... are you still using Google Apps and, if so, what other software are you using for GTD?

I moved away from Outlook maybe around 2000. I have used Google Apps ever since, and still do (for email, calendar and contacts).

For actions I have used a number of apps: RTM, Gubb, Todoist, Toodledo, Nirvana and now Doit. I found them all to be better than Outlook, but maybe that comparison is biased by the fact that Outlook was my very first app after moving away from paper, and I had problems with most apps to "mechanize" my previous "intuitive" system. (Gubb was an effort to move back to paper, but on a computer.) I had always intuitively been doing something quite "GTD-ish", with context lists etc, on paper and found that the apps generally were way too date-dependent (with little or no other interesting functionality for maintaining good order and visibility, which I always thought must be possible somehow on a computer.)

carbussf said:
... but isn't it often helpful to have the email (or attachments) as a reference for the task?

I have heard lots of people say that, so I have to believe that they really see it that way. You definitely would not be alone.

But here is why I (and quite a few others, I believe) do it differently:
  • I like to read the email only once
  • I then decide what I actually need to do about it (if anything), record that, and just leave the email as such in the "email archive"
  • I phrase my new actions, or rephrase/comment old actions, to reflect my new decision.
  • I generally do not see a one-to-one relationship between email and action. One email may generate a whole bunch of new actions whereas even a long email may just generate a minor amendment to an existing one
  • I need to keep good order among my reference information because I will need to have it conveniently accessible for a long time, even after any actions have been completed. Therefore I have no problems finding my email attachments if I need them as a reference for the task. The email as such belongs in the email archive, and I can find it there, should I need it. Important attachments I also file under related reference material while doing the processing of the email, so I can find it there, too.
  • I do not like clutter in my actions app, and since can find the attachment and email with ease, I prefer to keep it clean.

chacha

Registered
A lot of my actions are " Update your credentials at this url" ( lots of health insurance provider websites) , " Revalidate this", " Here is your invoice" ( Home, Business, Children) . It is so much easier to batch /add task details to these actions in an integrated email / actions app. I agree keeping routine , recurrent task inside this system makes it cluttered. But the integrated app ( IQTELL) is best for my one-off OR variable recurrent tasks, and I use moo.do for my recurrent tasks

TesTeq

Registered
chacha said:
A lot of my actions are " Update your credentials at this url" ( lots of health insurance provider websites) , " Revalidate this", " Here is your invoice" ( Home, Business, Children) .

Interesting. None of these examples would appear on my NA lists. Why? Because:
- "Update your credentials at this url" is not about me. I don't know whose credentials I should update.
- "Revalidate this" possibly it works in your world but I would need more specific verb than "revalidate".
- "Here is your invoice" - no action verb.

Folke

Registered
I agree with TesTeq.

Using the email as a base requires such extensive rewording (and massive deletion of any irrelevant info within it that I do not want to slow me down later) that I do not find it worthwhile to base new action items on emails.

But as I said before, I am aware that people are very different. Just giving my view here.

chacha

Registered
"- "Update your credentials at this url" is not about me. I don't know whose credentials I should update.
- "Revalidate this" possibly it works in your world but I would need more specific verb than "revalidate".
- "Here is your invoice" - no action verb."

I see my error, I meant a lot of my actions are responses to emails with that wording.
Sadly , several health care organisations have us doing that, periodically "confirming" "attesting" " revalidating" the information that have had for years. busy work
Thats exactly the language they use- this is the language in the emails
I just convert those into actions with a verb title- BUT here is the important part, I am not going to create another pile of links / folders / another app for work I only need to click on, use last pass and sign off on. AND I have no interest in saving any of that information.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I used to use the Netcentrics GTD Outlook Add-In. I also used IQTELL for a while (I was one of their early beta testers and at one time was big advocate for IQTELL). Eventually I realized both added layers of complexity without a sufficient pay-back. Like Folke and Testeq, I manually type next actions triggered by emails in the appropriate NA lists. I put the emails in an @Action Support folder under my email Inbox. When I'm done with the action I file or delete the email. Simple, easy and effective.