Any good books?

cornell

Registered
lots!

As I delve deeper into personal productivity (thanks, David Allen!) I've come across a bunch of books that I've found to be very helpful. You can check out a list of some in Double your income in a year ... by reading!? An update on reading for learning, plus a current list with brief comments, but here are some favorites:

"Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fullfillment" by George Burr Leonard
"Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" by Susan Jeffers
"Love is the killer app" by Tim Sanders
"Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results" by Stephen C. Lundin, Harry Paul, John Christensen
"Never Eat Alone : And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time" by Keith Ferrazzi, Tahl Raz
"How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less" by Nicholas Boothman
"How full is your bucket" by Tom Rath and Donald Clifton
"Getting to yes" by Fisher, Ury, and Patton
"Is your genius at work?" Richards
"How to win friends and influence people" Carnegie
"Bird by bird" Lamott
"A whack on the side of the head" Oech
"Who moved my cheese" Johnson
"The Organized Executive" by Stephanie Winston
The Personal Efficiency Program: How to Get Organized to Do More Work in Less Time by Kerry Gleeson

I'd love to hear what others are reading!

wowi

Registered
Managing multiple projects

A book which I used over the last couple of weeks for organising a small company is "Managing multiple projects" by Michael and Irene Tobis. It was suggested somewhere else in this forum (I think it was Rainer Burmeister - thanks Rainer for that hint), and it has helped me a lot to see clear what is necessary for a company / team to become reliable.

Wolfgang

C

Constant

More books

This Project Management book's title is worth the price of admission alone:

"Herding Chickens-
Innovative Techniques for Project Management"
by Dan Bradbury and David Garrett

Bit of the intro:
"Is your project team as functional as a family you'd find on Dr. Phil?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Am currently reading and very much enjoying this book as well:

"Writing to Change the World"
by Mary Pipher
------------------------------------------------------------------
And I included this on Vilmosz' Right Brain post:
"The Renaissance Soul-
Life Management for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One"
by Margaret Lobenstine

Regards,
DA

mcogilvie

Registered
Sure, but not any books about time management, leadership, project planning, team building, creativity, et cetera. Don't need 'em. Two things happened: read GTD book and children moved out of adolescence. Not sure which is more important. :)

Brent

Registered
Recently finished:

Spam Kings by Brian McWilliams
The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki
Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell
Communicating at Work by Tony Alessandra and Phil Hunsaker
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey

Currently reading:

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Brand New by Nancy F. Koehn

bmd

Registered
any books

The #1 Ladies Detective Agency Series by Alexander McCall Smith. I've never read anything like them, but P. G. Wodehouse is close. Lighthearted, heartwarming, just plain funny - ensemble comedy.

mramm

Registered
Currently reading:
Seven Habits by Steven Covey

Next up:
Ready for Anything by David Allen
The Now Habit by Neil Fiore
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown (fiction, obviously)

DStaub11

Registered
Refuse to Choose by Barbara Sher. For people (she calls us "scanners") who have many different interests. Empowering and down-to-earth helpful.

Do Mi

S

StuGib

mramm said:
Next up:
The Now Habit by Neil Fiore

Having just finished this I can highly recommend it. I haven't really started implementing the techniques yet so can't comment on long-term benefits, but just reading the book and identifying with the symptoms and causes of procrastination has changed my outlook and I've got a lot more work done in the last week than I did during the previous 3-4 weeks!

flexiblefine

Registered
More on The Now Habit

StuGib said:
Having just finished this I can highly recommend it. I haven't really started implementing the techniques yet so can't comment on long-term benefits, but just reading the book and identifying with the symptoms and causes of procrastination has changed my outlook and I've got a lot more work done in the last week than I did during the previous 3-4 weeks!
If you got a lot from The Now Habit, you might also try these:
"The Procrastinator's Handbook" by Rita Emmett
"Never Good Enough" by Monica Ramirez Basco (especially for perfecitonists)

I have a couple of things in my queue right now, including Julie Morgenstern's "Time Management from the Inside Out." I'll see if that gives me any more good advice for dealing with my procrastination problems.

alsa

Registered
That "Refuse to Choose" book sounds interesting to me. Gonna go check it out at Amazon now...

K

KimD

"Refuse to Choose" is an excellent book! I'm going to re-read it this weekend.

I'm also about to re-read "The Millionaire Mind" by T. Harv Eker.

W

whitepants

All the types of books I like are thrillers/suspense (detective type)/paranormal stuffs. NO ROMANCE plz!!
I have been reading Stephen KIng for some time, and have watched a couple of his movies too= he's really good man!

bassdrone42

Registered
London

I just finished reading "London"(Edward Rutherford).

Absolutely amazing epic spanning 200 years+. It is a story of the history of the city of London. A long but enjoyable read.

But hands down the best fiction book of the year/decade has been "The Pillars of the Earth" (Ken Follet). Read it and share it with someone else.

flexiblefine

Registered
Food stuff

I've recently finished "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee. And my wife got me the two Alton Brown cookbooks, "I'm Just Here for the Food" and "I'm Just Here for More Food."

No, I'm not a good cook... but I hope to learn a thing or two.

V

vglattn

Anything by Denis Waitley

I've been listening to Denis Waitley on my Ipod and am really finding him inspirational. He has a particular view of self-discipline that is really interesting. I'm assuming that reading his material is as good as listening