Anyone designing a GTD app for the iPhone?

D

dlpasco

The Leopard notes are marginally useful. I'm an iPhone user and a GTD junkie AND a project manager, so I developed Mentat to handle our task management. The iPhone interface was the first major feature we rolled out.

-Daniel
http://mentat.brainmurmurs.com

darlakbrown

Registered
bob_hughes;51730 said:
The new Leopard OS has some new note and to-do-list features that might help apply GTD to the iPhone. Does anyone have any information about this?
Here's the link on the Apple website:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/mail.html

I've been running the new OS all this week. The new note features and to do list features aren't great.

Also, in my opinion, they've devolved some of iCal's quick entry features. The side info panel is missing and instead a popup comes up when you want to edit an item. I find this annoying and hard to read, esp. on a laptop. There was something elegant about it before that is missing.

However, I noticed a speed difference immediately. Wow!

And, they have a new desktop feature called Spaces that could be very useful to help you stay focused in one application.

Overall, worth the upgrade when it comes out in a couple weeks. But be sure to do a full backup. It duped some of my address book data.

mmurray

Registered
darlakbrown;52596 said:
But be sure to do a full backup. It duped some of my address book data.

Speaking of backups have they automated the backup in iCal and AB in Leopard ? That would be handy and would seem trivial to do (speaking as a non programmer !)

Michael

darlakbrown

Registered
mmurray;52601 said:
Speaking of backups have they automated the backup in iCal and AB in Leopard ? That would be handy and would seem trivial to do (speaking as a non programmer !)

Michael

It doesn't look like they have.

D

dbrotzen

pTasks - what's the pPoint?

JRBCS;51522 said:
pTasks has been released. pTasks is a GTD system for the iPhone. You can read more about it and experience it for yourself here: http://www.ptasks.com/

Jason
JRB Computer Services

Jason/JRB requires you to register on their site to get access. Once inside you get an on-line window where you can enter tasks, appointments etc. I thought this was a GTD system for the iphone, could Jason please specify what makes this tailored to the iphone, and what his system's advantages are. It seemed rather pointless.

mmurray

Registered
dbrotzen;53341 said:
Jason/JRB requires you to register on their site to get access. Once inside you get an on-line window where you can enter tasks, appointments etc. I thought this was a GTD system for the iphone, could Jason please specify what makes this tailored to the iphone, and what his system's advantages are. It seemed rather pointless.

At present all the 3rd party applications on the iPhone work via Safari and you have to be online. I assume you connect to this site via Safari on the iPhone.

`Real' 3rd party applications are coming according to a recent announcement from Steve Jobs.

Michael

D

dlpasco

Mentat iPhone Client Planned

Hi, we're currently working on a native GTD client for the BlackBerry based on our free Mentat service. Once that has been released we will start working on a native client for the iPhone a well.

Since the iPhone SDK isn't expected until February, you will not be able to use our client until then unless you are willing to hack your phone, but it should be available to more daring users before the actual SDK release date.

foxmulder

Registered
GTD on the iPhone using Native Apps

iphoneorglogo.jpg

http://iphoneorganized.wordpress.com

:cool:

HowardGTD

Registered
OmniFocus developing app for iPhone

I use OmniFocus on my MacBook and iMac for GTD - great program. They are working on an app for the iPhone. The OF app will also work on the iTouch.

I can't wait. Great excuse to finally ditch my Palm and go with one of the above two devices.

C

chinarut

some kudos to Tada Lists

This is a bit of a catch 22 - offline use isn't nearly as critical as it used to be for me but it definitely has come into the forefront again now that I'm in Japan, don't have GPRS at my disposal like in Thailand. Offline use just becomes a stopgap solution until a new iPhone comes out. Once this happens, I imagine my experience with Internet over cellular networks will be as functional as it was in Thailand which was amazing! killed any desire to want to work over WiFi for me IMHO!

That said, I'm still on the lookout for offline capability and been using Tada as a stopgap solution for the most critical of my contexts. For the record, my contexts are starting to lose context of the "big picture" so this experiment may very well be over.

I thought I'd comment on Tada Lists while I can...people have been knocking the app and understandably - you can't change contexts is my particular annoyance. however, what I think really works is the fact that it loads very fast for an iPhone app, has a full interface on the desktop and presents a clean uncluttered interface encouraging collaboration just by sharing your lists - it doesn't try to be too much.

just thought I'd give Tada some kudos as it allowed me to iPhone apps from a different angle!

That said, you mileage will differ - I'm sure!

C

chinarut

Remember the Milk

yes, I looked at RTM briefly before I posted - excuse me not mentioning it!

i found it to be a bit cluttered and anti-intuitive. didn't like the fact that I could only try the iPhone app for 15 days - i didn't bother and save it for a rainy day due to my experience with the desktop - with Tada - i found that experience equally as important and most importantly, having a sense of what use cases belong on the desktop and which ones belong on the iPhone - there is some elegance gained here too.

these are only my initial opinions so apologies in advance to any happy, die-hard users of RTM - do educate us!

moosie

Registered
My GTD + iPhone set up

I use a combination of OmniFocus on my MacBook Pro, a webDAV server I set up on the MBP and OF for the iPhone to run my life. The OF duo syncs automatically and I never have to think about it when I'm at home. (It syncs through my WiFi network.). Throw in a little bit of iCal and Apple Mail and I hardly ever need to use my desktop to know what my next move is.

I honestly think OF is the perfect GTD app (for me. Ymmv.)