Anyone read Managing Multiple Projects?

Busydave

Registered
So far it’s reading well. With GTD, I was very struck from the outset with the immense value of being able to identify which of my “To Do’s” were actually projects, and not single tasks.

Recognising projects neutralises those tense balls of confusion that used to surround certain “To Do” items.

Armed with this insight, I began to read around the topic of projects and project management.

Although GTD provides a method for recognising projects, defining outcomes, and specifying the next step, it’s probably up to us to address the main area of project management skills, theory, etc. (David does supply an excellent checklist for project planning by the way). For example, even if my “next action” list tells me that the next action on a project is to phone Mike for prices, I would still prefer to have an overall project plan as well.

I think GTD tends to imply that things will get done when we can get to them. I know this is NOT the message of GTD, but nevertheless, when you add in the realities of fixed deadlines and other people’s logistics to a project, it does seem to add some more 3-D reality to the picture.

In its bibliography, “Managing Multiple Projects” sings the praise of GTD, and recommends it as a primer to be read before “Managing Multiple Projects”. I would prefer GTD to be referred to as the book to be read in sequence before “Managing Multiple Projects”, because they deal with two separate stages: firstly recognise and define projects, secondly manage them.

So far I have only read the sections containing general principles of project management. They have already mentioned their key concept of how reliability will win out over brilliance if the brilliance is not reliable, (the cheese burger paradox).

I also like their idea of scheduling a reminder to yourself to refer to a standard checklist every so often. E.g. once a month, check to see if engine oil needs to be changed.

Will keep you posted.

(An interesting aside: Tom Peters is a massive fan of projects. Far from seeing them as just bunches of linked tasks, he sees them as platforms from which to demonstrate how good we are at our jobs. His “The Project 50” is a good place to start, but he has been writing about projects since “Liberation Management” in 1992. His upbeat attitude links nicely with GTD in that it gives zumpf to the projects we recognise and define. I think at one point he even says you ARE your projects!)

Dave

P.S. I would welcome any criticism of my interpretation of how GTD deals with the topic of project management – does deal with project management in more depth than I have said above?

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Task commitment list

Hi folks,

One of the best things about the managing multiple projects book is the focus on how much you have on your plate -- your current projects and time commitments. I liked the idea of preparing a task commitment list for the week based on the time you have available. I do this routinely now. It fits in well with GTD -- I DO NOT overschedule things and make sure that it is just a plan based on my weekly review. If one hard codes too much, then it is frustrating when things happen to change it all on Monday morning! :shock:

This works for well for me! :)

I have created a weekly planning document that is a follow-up to my weekly review that embraces GTD concepts, as well as a more structured Action Plan for the week, per the managing multiple projects approach. I would be glad to share it with others, especially David Allen and his band of merry men and women! :D

C

csweningsen

Re: Task commitment list

"Longstreet"] wrote:

>I have created a weekly planning document that is a follow-up to my >weekly review that embraces GTD concepts, as well as a more >structured Action Plan for the week, per the managing multiple projects >approach. I would be glad to share it with others, especially David Allen >and his band of merry men and women!

I would be interested in your planning template;
Thanks,
Christian
P.S. How do those of you who do, get the quotes into the white boxes?

J

Jason Womack

csweningsen said:
"Longstreet"]

Hi!

In the upper right hand corner of the "original" post, you'll see a button called "Quote." Click that, and then start typing AFTER : [/quote]

C

csweningsen

Jason Womack said:
csweningsen said:
"Longstreet"]

Hi!

In the upper right hand corner of the "original" post, you'll see a button called "Quote." Click that, and then start typing AFTER :
[/quote]
So like this?
Thanks! But why is the "[/quote]"from yours still hanging in there?
--Christian

N

nbmichalke

csweningsen said:
"Longstreet"] wrote:

>I have created a weekly planning document that is a follow-up to my >weekly review that embraces GTD concepts, as well as a more >structured Action Plan for the week, per the managing multiple projects >approach. I would be glad to share it with others, especially David Allen >and his band of merry men and women!

I would be interested in your planning template;
Thanks,
Christian

I would also be interested in seeing your planning template as I think that is where I am trying to head as well. It is too easy to do a Weekly Review and get next actions on all your projects and be staring at the same list of uncompleted next actions when you do your next Weekly Review....very frustrating. I have the multiple projects book ordered and am hoping to make some improvements in this area....
Thanks,
Nicole

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Need your email address

Hi Nicole,

I would be glad to send my template to you. Please provide me with your email address. :)

Longstreet

remyc88

Registered
Longstreet's Template

Just a note to other GTDers out there, I would definitely ask Longstreet to send you a copy of his Planning Template. It's extremely helpful!