April webinar -- GTD for Couples

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Our April webinar is especially for those of you who have asked about how it works when one or both members of a couple are GTD practitioners. Kelly and I will share what we've learned about doing GTD as a couple for 18 years. We'll include specifics about calendar coordination, project management, sharing an office, and areas of responsibility. There's a good chance that we'll tell some humorous stories that will demonstrate how different styles of doing GTD can be very compatible. This webinar will also include Q&A with participants.

April 29, 10am Pacific.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...77128798829058

Webinars coming up in May and June with other coaches will be about how different GTD practitioners relate to time, and about clearing up your boundaries between action, incubate, and reference.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
DaveInMilwaukee said:
Looking forward to it. Upcoming topics sound interesting too. Keep the good content coming.

Thanks, Dave. The topic of time comes up because we've found that many GTD practitioners relate to time differently. Without giving too much away, I'll say that some of us are conscious of how much time an action or project may take, and others have only a vague sense, and perhaps some anxiety about how long things might take. (I put myself in the latter category.)

And the topic of boundaries between action, incubate, and reference comes directly from experience our coaches have described to me recently, where clients avoid making clear decisions on what shows up in the inbox. I'm sure it will be a lively discussion, and as always, participant interaction is what we're here for.

dcbahr

Registered
Oh thank god. I tried to get my wife into the GTD methodology and it worked for about...a week. Not that it's easy to do or implement, but we are different in our organizational lives. Also, really looking forward to those other webinars because I'm in the latter two categories on both of those topics and i've been stuck for awhile.

Dave Edwards

Registered
My wife is not a practitioner of GTD altho' now that I'm a Connect member, she has been listening to some of the archived webinars with me. But her instincts are excellent. She's an administrative assistant and has always been a list maker. I do find that her method of organization is different than mine....yet it works for her.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Dave and Dave, good to hear you're intrigued by the topics.

Regarding GTD for couples, my wife and I have been together for 18 years. There have been times when she might have said I'm not a practitioner of GTD. But seriously, we all have different styles, and our styles are reflected in how we manage our commitments, whether that's with GTD or some other method. Kelly and I are polar opposites in almost every one of the assessments we've done, including Myers-Briggs, DISC, and Frank Sopper's superb Cognitive Preference Survey. Yet we've found ways to make things work smoothly, on both the control and perspective aspects of GTD. For example, when she was on the road delivering seminars, we would do a calendar review/preview every week or two, to synchronize everything on the hard landscape. It was essential and worked flawlessly. Well, almost. There was one time when . . . but I think I'll save that for the webinar.

Barb

Registered
Kelly is SO going to get you, John.

My husband is "anti-GTD". I think the more I got into it, the more he went in the opposite direction. I keep a list of stuff I want him to do and give it to him on the weekends. That way I can get things off my mind and on to his plate and be done with it. It may not be perfect, but it works. :) In fact, we had our 31st anniversary just this week!

Dave Edwards

Registered
Barb- Happy Anniversary. I've learned that wives don't have to be into GTD to prepare 'honey do' lists!

John- I'm sensing a webinar topic, "Spouses Who Don't Understand Spouses Who Practice GTD". 😉

TesTeq

Registered
DaveInMilwaukee said:
I'm sensing a webinar topic, "Spouses Who Don't Understand Spouses Who Practice GTD". 😉

I think the topic is: "People Are From Earth, GTDers Are From Vulcan" or "My Stepmother Is a GTDer".

Barb

Registered
DaveInMilwaukee said:
Barb- Happy Anniversary. I've learned that wives don't have to be into GTD to prepare 'honey do' lists!

John- I'm sensing a webinar topic, "Spouses Who Don't Understand Spouses Who Practice GTD". 😉

Thanks, Dave! Maybe a title for that webinar should be, "Spouses Who Rebel Against GTD". Anyone? Anyone?