Basic list Manager

gator

Registered
Good Morning,
I just purchased a new iPhone and I am interested in a very "basic" list application. I'm a long tim Blackberry user and I used "Taskmaster" which was very basic. I just want an app that I can click and see my various categories like errands, calls, home, etc. I'm not looking to sync with Outlook nor do I really need any type of desktop usage. I realize there are many threads on list apps, just wanted any suggestions for my basic needs.
Thanks!!

bradenchase

Registered
Notes

If you want really basic, use Notes. It's free and built in. I personally use Things, but it costs $9.99 and you're probably looking for free. I used Remember the Milk for a while and it was free but you have to pay for their Pro account online.

I used Notes for a while and it was pretty good but as I got better at GTD, I needed something more robust and Things did the trick.

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Agree with Notes ...

You could use a separate Note for each next action context as well as one for a Projects list, Someday/Maybe, etc. It's a pretty good little app.

I personally use OmniFocus and while the desktop app has a learning curve the iPhone app (though more expensive than Things) is really straight forward.

Another idea but I'd start with a simple app or one you spend the time to learn so then you can focus better on the GTD methodology (much more important than the software selection).

Mark

Duckienz

Registered
I too need basic

and I use Toodle do. I like that I can organise by context and/or by due date. Simple and easy. You can also have folders so if you have 10 things to do on one project you can list them under that project.

SteGTD

Registered
Omnifocus

Omnifocus Is by far the strongest app on the iphone, (In my opinion). Even kelly Forrister in the GTD podcast says its really strong!

Ive had the iphone for 18 months now, my contract is running out just in time for the new iphone (which im still not sure about getting :/) and ive had omnifocus for the last 12 months and now I cant live without it.

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus_for_iphone/

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Albert Einstein

If you are practicing the GTD method you will find this app the one for you. it has an inbox, project list and context list. you can enter your ideas in the inbox, and decide where the next action will take place and create your own context or use the standard (calls, errands, people, etc) and tie it to a project.

oh and theres as much much more you can do , and WILL do once you get the hang of it, and by the sounds of things this is pretty much what you were doing on your BB.

this app can be synced to a webDav server (swissdisk.com has a free 50mb) so if you ever lose/ restore your iphone you always have all your projects saved. but this is not a necessity.

Hope that helped, essay over!

(and its very old news, but if your reasons for "basic" was the price, you might be interested in Jail-breaking your iphone and getting the apps for free, but of course thats at your own risk :p) Oh and If you like it BUY IT!

Oh and can you tell im passionate about omnifocus haha

MiataPops

Registered
Synch Data from SwissDisk WebDAV

SteGTD;80381 said:
this app can be synced to a webDav server (swissdisk.com has a free 50mb) so if you ever lose/ restore your iphone you always have all your projects saved. but this is not a necessity.

Can you use the SwissDisk WebDAV server to synch OmniFocus data between your OmniFocus desktop app, iPhone app, and iPad App (when it is released) so the data is the same on all?

JohnV474

Registered
file manager

It's difficult to beat the simplicity and universality of text files and the files/folders of the device.

I keep all of my lists in a single folder, but a person could subdivide by reference, project plans, etc.

My lists are grouped based on filenames, which makes it very easy to find what I want.

JohnV474

SteGTD

Registered
MiataPops;80395 said:
Can you use the SwissDisk WebDAV server to synch OmniFocus data between your OmniFocus desktop app, iPhone app, and iPad App (when it is released) so the data is the same on all?

Yes ive got that synced at the moment im really impressed with it, ive liked the wireless also, but this is a whole new level on the move, now when i get back it has auto updated and saved, really really impressive tbh

proximity2

Registered
Task management for everyone

Things is a beautifully focused and amazingly intuitive task manager. Other to-do applications either oversimplify or are too difficult to use. Either way you are not getting stuff done. Things instead has the right balance between ease of use and powerful features.

With Things' elegance and beautiful design, procrastinating never looked less attractive. You can even sync wirelessly with the desktop version of Things using Wi-Fi.

RealSkyDiver

Registered
Mark Jantzen;80350 said:
You could use a separate Note for each next action context as well as one for a Projects list, Someday/Maybe, etc. It's a pretty good little app.

I personally use OmniFocus and while the desktop app has a learning curve the iPhone app (though more expensive than Things) is really straight forward.

Another idea but I'd start with a simple app or one you spend the time to learn so then you can focus better on the GTD methodology (much more important than the software selection).

Mark

Also keep in mind that you can have it instantly synced with google notes making it probably the best digital on-the-way-in-box. Can't get any faster, simpler and secure than this.

policarpo

Registered
Zenbe is a very basic List app for $2.99 with a free web based component. My wife and I use it for Shared lists.

I use omnifocus as my primary GTD app, but I have found zenbe to be a very nice and simple List app.

Galen Nagen

Registered
[QUOTE

I keep all of my lists in a single folder, but a person could subdivide by reference, project plans, etc.

[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the basic "notepad" program that comes with a PC?

thanks

GN

lizardfriendly

Registered
Fun little app

Depending on how many of these lists you have and how long they get....a fun little iPhone app is "Use Your Handwriting" or "UYH". Can be faster than typing on the iPhone keyboard.

I love mine for the shopping list, and also for the packing list, because you can check things off, but then go back later and "uncheck" them all to restart with a fresh list.