Best GTD software solution

pranaman

Registered
Hello fellow GTDers,

I've read the book, and am trying to follow the system. I would like to enter all my notes electronically.

Thing is, It's overwhelming as I have so many notes. I am grateful for all the ideas I've had over the years and have captured most of them. I've been looking for software to handle all the GTD categories. I don't want them to get lost in the shuffle.

I am using evernote. I'm not sure if it is the best system. I want to be able to set up and record the 'one-offs' (to-do list style), projects, tickler, someday/maybe, et cetera.

I don't see a great way for the one-offs/to-do items in evernote. Is it there?

Is there a better software that I don't know about, one I can 'check-off' as I check off one-offs, complete steps of projects, add new steps, an easy-to-use folder structure, and sync like evernote does across my laptop and iphone?

pranaman

Registered
update: I am reading http://www.thesecretweapon.org/. Found it a few weeks ago. Maybe that's what I need.

Also, technical note: I am running Linux, so either I'll have to dual boot, run evernote web-only, or use a client, like everpad. Any tech thoughts on this note?

Folke

Registered
pranaman,

I think you should at least consider using a web-based GTD app, such as Nirvana, Zendone, Doit, GTDNext, GTDapp, FacileThings etc, or even a more generic web-based app like Todoist, Toodledo, IQTell or RememberTheMilk. Or a simpler web list app like Wunderlist, Trello or Vitalist. I can understand the temptation to use the same tool for tasks as you do for notes (e.g Evernote, OneNote or Workflowy) but many people choose different tools, and I think this is not always without a reason.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Asking "what's the best GTD software" is like asking "what's the prettiest color?" It is entirely subjective and you won't find any consensus. Personally I think diligence with the GTD process is more important than the tool you choose. Just pick a tool that you like and that doesn't add excessive complexity to your world.

If you want to use Evernote I recommend the setup guides from the David Allen Co.: https://gettingthingsdone.com/store/home.php?cat=263.

Folke

Registered
I totally agree with bcmyers. We are all different. If you search these forums you will hear many of the reasons why people prefer one or the other, and/or you go to the various app forums and hear what people complain about there.

If you are already convinced that you want to use Evernote I can testify that I have heard much more good about David Allen's guide than about The Secret Weapon (but I have tried neither of them myself).

Gardener

Registered
I can't tell you what to use, especially since my choices are all Macintosh. But I would suggest considering a division between your notes and your current projects and actions. I see those two as pretty different, and trying to use the same software for both may not work well.

Oogiem

Registered
I'd agre with Gardener in that having your lists and your notes in the same tool could be problematic. I use DEVONThink for both some lists (certain Someday/Maybe projects) and my notes and small project support stuff. But I separate them into different folders for clarity.

The Evernote set-up guide would be the place I'd start. I have it and although I decided that Evernote was not the SW for me it's got lots of info on how to implement GTD in that SW.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I use Evernote for GTD and I just keep my GTD lists and reference material separate. It hasn't been a problem for me, but I suppose it could be for some. My suggestion would be if you know and like Evernote, give it a try. Or not. As I said (and I am definitely in the minority on this when it comes to participants in this forum) I don't think the choice of tool matters as much as diligence with GTD habits. Just pick a tool that allows sorting lists by things like context, that allows but doesn't force due dates, is easily made portable and is something you like using.

I've settled on Evernote but I guarantee you if someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to use Nozbe, Doit.im, IQTELL, Wunderlist, Toodledo, or any of the other plethora of choices out there in order to save my own life I wouldn't sweat it for a moment. I could easily make any one of them and many other work. Like I said, I think too much emphasis is placed on list managers but again, I seem to be in the minority about that.

DA puts it very well when he says just about any tool can work as long as you work it.

Folke

Registered
bcmyers2112 said:
Woah. I think I just had a heart attack... ;)

bcmyers2112 said:
... I guarantee you if someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to use Nozbe, Doit.im, IQTELL, Wunderlist, Toodledo, or any of the other plethora of choices out there in order to save my own life I wouldn't sweat it for a moment. I could easily make any one of them and many other work. ...

DA puts it very well when he says just about any tool can work as long as you work it.

We probably agree on a whole lot more than you think.

bcmyers2112 said:
Like I said, I think too much emphasis is placed on list managers but again, I seem to be in the minority about that.

Well, I actually agree with that, too, but not as wholeheartedly as you seem to do. I have never seen an app that allows me to do what I want to do, as as simply as I want to do it. I would like to encourage developers to do the "right" kind of further development, and help define what that is, but I seem to be in the minority about that ... (so we are all a minority in one way or another)

TesTeq

Registered
bcmyers2112 said:
Asking "what's the best GTD software" is like asking "what's the prettiest color?"

One of the best lines I've ever heard about the GTD software implementations!

bcmyers2112 said:
If you want to use Evernote I recommend the setup guides from the David Allen Co.: https://gettingthingsdone.com/store/home.php?cat=263.

Yes, I totally agree!

Folke said:
I totally agree with bcmyers. We are all different. If you search these forums you will hear many of the reasons why people prefer one or the other, and/or you go to the various app forums and hear what people complain about there.

If you are already convinced that you want to use Evernote I can testify that I have heard much more good about David Allen's guide than about The Secret Weapon (but I have tried neither of them myself).

I agree even more! David Allen's Evernote guide keeps the implementation as simple as possible.

aderoy

Registered
I have been using EMACS Org Mode for the last two years and found it to fit 'my' thought process. Everything is in text stored either locally on the computer and sync'ed to USB for backup and use on another machine.

There is a learning process (as with any application), yet if used right out of the box there is a benefit if you are computer based and not paper based for your context lists.

Of course it would mean that if work related computer you will need to have approval to install EMACS. Will run on Windows/Mac/Linux, and being text you will not have to worry too much that a new version will need to migrate the file. Heck you can use a plaintext editor to read on the fly.

SherGTD

Registered
I use Evernote for reference and Toodledo for lists. Whatever you choose, make sure it's simple and that you really love to use it. You want to spend your time working your lists, not entering your lists. Good luck!

Gardener

Registered
I use OmniFocus for my project and next action lists, and my Someday/Maybes.

My other simple lists--Things to Read, Sewing Thoughts, Brainstorming, stuff like that--keep moving from place to place. Right now they're in OmniFocus, each list as an On Hold project, all those projects in a separate folder, with defined Perspectives that allow me to see either the lists or my active projects. This is mostly giving me the functionality of having them in separate places but easily moving items between them.

That leaves more complex project support material, and I don't have an established setup for that. My garden planning is, oddly-for-me, mostly on paper. Other things live in poorly-organized paper and digital files. I'm trying to find just the right software to catalog the digital files, but I don't want them either stuffed into a database, or stored in the cloud--I want to catalog them on my hard disk, and add various database information about them. (Tags, etc.) I haven't seen exactly the right app yet. Doo looks interesting, but I'm not sold yet.

devon.marie

Registered
Gardener said:
I'm trying to find just the right software to catalog the digital files, but I don't want them either stuffed into a database, or stored in the cloud--I want to catalog them on my hard disk, and add various database information about them. (Tags, etc.) I haven't seen exactly the right app yet. Doo looks interesting, but I'm not sold yet.

Evernote has local notebooks, which would allow you to use almost all of Evernote's capabilities while keeping the notes' content only on your harddrive. Things like OCR'd text and mobile sync of course require syncing to their servers. If you want those services and don't mind cloud syncing, Evernote can store notes locally/offline, too, so an internet connection is not required to access notes. Something to consider!

Dave Edwards

Registered
I use Evernote for nearly everything. I'd suggest reviewing the GTD guide as a starting point even though you will probably need to modify it to fit your needs as I did. Evernote is the home of my GTD system as well as my meeting notes and digital reference. I would also recommend Nirvana HQ if you want to keep your GTD system separate. I also use Nirvana as my digital tickler as it will send you email prompts that work better than Evernote's Reminder system.

evholten

Registered
SherGTD said:
I use Evernote for reference and Toodledo for lists. Whatever you choose, make sure it's simple and that you really love to use it. You want to spend your time working your lists, not entering your lists. Good luck!

Do you have tasks in Toodledo link to files in Evernote? That would be the web address, i guess?

I gues this may work with OneNote as well, for support material and/or filing. From OneNote it's possible to put a task (to a note) into Outlook, but personally I dislike Outlook. Perhaps Wunderlist will be made to adopt tasks from OneNote, but it isn't as sophisticated as Toodledo. I would be very interested being able to put tasks straight from OneNote into Toodledo (or any other list maker for that matter).

evholten

Registered
bcmyers2112 said:
too much emphasis is placed on list managers
You use Evernote as a listmaker. The difference with the listmaker apps you mention is that these are not for filing, but Evernote and OneNote are.
Keeping thing in one place makes sence, the only advantage of (some) listmaker apps is their searchability with multiple parameters (like context, goals, tags, labels,etc).

evholten

Registered
pranaman Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your topic. You probably notice there's no easy answer to your question. I am still searching for a good combination of a filing-program and a task planner app, as well.

I come to the conclusion that a task planner should be searchable database, not just a list maker. And it should be seperate from the files.
According to me the criterias are:

• support material should be linked to and from tasks
  • The taskplanner- app should be able to search on various parameters (priority, context, goals, projects, tags, etc)
  • It should be possible to create task from the support material file itself straight into the task planner.
    (like Onenote allows to put a task into Outlook - but Outlook has a terrible interface.)