Best tool for combined iPhone/PC use

Monika

Registered
At work I use a desktop Windows 7 PC with Outlook, Office 365, and Chrome. At home I use a Windows 10 laptop with Outlook, Office 365, and Gmail. In between I use an iPhone 6 and an iPad (usually the phone, though). I am trying to find a fairly easy to use cross platform GTD tool so I can keep my stuff coordinated between the various places. Somethings that would let me add tasks by voice with Siri would be awesome. Any ideas that are better than my current Trello, iPhone reminders/tasks and sticky note system? I am not looking for free - I don't mind paying money for something as long as it works. I just want to find one thing that works well and not 3 things that kinda work but don't really get along. Something without a really huge learning curve would be great, too, because who has time?

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Monika

mcogilvie

Registered
I think Wunderlist allows a clean, neat set of gtd lists, but it doesn't do Siri without some kludginess. It will probably get more integrated with Outlook: Wunderlist was bought by Microsoft, and it recently got some integration with Outlook for IOS and Android. If you really want Siri, maybe consider Toodledo. Of courses, there are several apps with web+iOS, but I'm not a big fan of most of them.

scotteeboy_S

Registered
Wunderlist does have some nifty integration with Outlook - and Office 365 (Outlook for the Web to be specific). It's got a clean interface too. Here's the downside- it's implementation of categories/tags sucks. Terrible really. It's the one glaring downside of the software as I see it. I think Todoist overall is a better choice because it's available on every platform- plus it has a nice Outlook plug-in that allows you to immediately generate tasks from emails, then link back to the emails directly from the tasks. They also have a windows 10 app that they just released that's almost fully functional (filters are currently not implemented). I'd take a good look at this option. I'd be interested to see what Meg Edwards thinks of the Todoist plugin as she has a pretty cool GTD workflow within Outlook itself, without the use of any third party software.

TesTeq

Registered
scotteeboy_S said:
Wunderlist does have some nifty integration with Outlook - and Office 365 (Outlook for the Web to be specific). It's got a clean interface too. Here's the downside- it's implementation of categories/tags sucks. Terrible really. It's the one glaring downside of the software as I see it.

Wunderlist can potentially be THE solution for the future for Windows users because it is owned by Microsoft.

Folke

Registered
Wunderlist is great if you want to do "core" GTD, i.e. as if using paper. If you want the ability to alternate between viewing your tasks by contexts, by project, by deadline etc you'd better go for a "GTD" app. Doit and Nirvana are two such apps that I have used a lot. They are both reliable, simple to use, and have all that extra power beyond a mere list app. Toodledo, too.

PeterW

Registered
Check out Appigo Todo. They have an iOS app and a web-based version with cloud sync that would provide you with a platform while on Windows machines. It also syncs with Toodledo which is a web-based platform so there are a few options. I used it for a number of years and found it quite powerful.
http://www.appigo.com

mcogilvie

Registered
Folke said:
Doit and Nirvana are two such apps that I have used a lot. They are both reliable, simple to use, and have all that extra power beyond a mere list app.

Wow, I had not realized how completely Nirvana copies Things. There are some differences, but they are very, very similar. I suppose that's good for someone using a PC, because Things is very good with an excellent UI.

vutpakdi

Registered
I settled on Evernote because it worked across multiple platforms (2 personal Macs, work Windows laptop, iPhone, iPad) so smoothly. I can tell Siri "Email Ever Note" (Ever Note as a contact with my Evernote email address) in order to dictate a short note to add to my inbox.

Evernote has a good integration with Outlook and a handy web clipper plugin for browsers.

Microsoft's OneNote is now multi-platform. While I like OneNote for taking notes due to its smoother formatting options, I don't think that it works as well for GTD for me.

Ron

scotteeboy_S

Registered
I hadn't taken a look at Nirvana until it was suggested here. It's got a clean interface and a good implementation of GTD. They just updated their mobile apps too. Only issues I see is no integration with anything really i.e. Zapier, IFTTT, Evernote, Outlook, etc. Nada. You can however email tasks into it which is at least something. There are no desktop apps. Also, they closed down their forum community a few years back. Why would that do that? There's no community discussion that I can find, and no updated support forums. Is anyone using the product currently and can provide details as to their community or their upgrade schedule? No roadmap posted.

wjlynch

Registered
I stopped trying to figure what why these guys make the decisions they do in terms of community and development. I used to find it very frustrating and disappointing, but at the end of the day NirvanaHQ still has the best implementation of GTD for my needs. I have tried so hard to replace them over the last couple years, but since their recent app updates, I am back and satisfied. I was sad to see their forums closed but happy to see Longstreet & Folke here. I did notice that NirvanaHQ seems to be active on Twitter.