Best Web Based GTD App

Tado

Registered
Hey, I'm been looking for the best web based GTD app. I've tried both wunderlist and RTM, never can create sub projects/tasks. But if there is a way please let me know.

The main features i'm looking for is:
Inbox
Project List
Sub Tasks/Projects

Thanks !

mcogilvie

Registered
Tado;113035 said:
Hey, I'm been looking for the best web based GTD app. I've tried both wunderlist and RTM, never can create sub projects/tasks. But if there is a way please let me know.

The ones that come to mind are Toodledo and Todoist. Both use freemium models, and would require you to pay to use them as you would like. Some people like Nirvana, but development has been very slow. I don't think I can recommend any of them as the best, but Toodledo is flexible and popular.

AndrewGM1

Registered
mcogilvie;113036 said:
The ones that come to mind are Toodledo and Todoist. Both use freemium models, and would require you to pay to use them as you would like. Some people like Nirvana, but development has been very slow. I don't think I can recommend any of them as the best, but Toodledo is flexible and popular.

Those are good (have tried them to some extent). You also could check out:

http://GQueues.com -- it may have what you want. Has lots of features and integrates with GCal; the developer seems to be active. This is what I use. $25 per year. Has iOS and Android apps.

http://facilethings.com/home/en -- been checking this out on free trial. Not sure it does everything you want, but GTD-centric and seems interesting so far.

TesTeq

Registered
Subprojects and subtasks are not the core elements of the GTD methodology.

Tado;113035 said:

The main features i'm looking for is:
Inbox
Project List
Sub Tasks/Projects

Your requirements are contradictory a little since subprojects and subtasks are not the core elements of the GTD methodology. They are optional.

PS. Choose iqtell if you want a product backed by the most active marketing guys... ;-)

Folke

Registered
I currently use Doit.im. It has a hierarchy in four levels: Goal-Project-Task-Subtask. And it has an overall project list and also project lists per goal. And an inbox, of course.

mcogilvie

Registered
AndrewGM1;113041 said:
Those are good (have tried them to some extent). You also could check out:

http://GQueues.com -- it may have what you want. Has lots of features and integrates with GCal; the developer seems to be active. This is what I use. $25 per year. Has iOS and Android apps.

http://facilethings.com/home/en -- been checking this out on free trial. Not sure it does everything you want, but GTD-centric and seems interesting so far.

GQueues seems a bit clunky to me, but then again, so does the gmail web interface. And I don't like sharing my life with Google. I mean, if you were evil, wouldn't you deny it?

FacileThings sent me email today, asking that I try them again. It looks at the pricy end of things and painfully gtd-compliant.

Folke

Registered
mcogilvie;113051 said:
FacileThings ... painfully gtd-compliant.

I agree. One if its beauties is that it at least tries to implement all the horizons of focus. The ugly part is that you cannot really use these for a whole lot - beyond the fact that you can narrow down your view by AoR or by Goal, which is very useful.

Another beauty of it is it explains GTD very well, and generally conveys a very good interpretation of it. The ugly part of this is that you cannot turn it off once you have read it. It clutters your view.

And it firmly incorporates the silly notion (non-GTD, but often held to be GTD) that only one next action from each project can be on the Next list. This is a definite dealbreaker for me.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Tado;113035 said:
Hey, I'm been looking for the best web based GTD app.

Unfortunately no one can really answer that for you. It's entirely subjective.

Personally I use Evernote (there are Windows and Mac clients you can download but you can also use the web interface so it qualifies). I think there are a fair number of people on these boards who think Evernote is inadequate but it works for me and DAC even has a GTD for Evernote guide for sale.

My point is not "Evernote is great and they're all wrong" but simply that you'll not find much consensus about what's best. Trial and error is your friend here.

Use a simple yardstick: does the app make it easier for you rather than harder to maintain your system? If "yes" then you've found a good one.

Some more specific rules of thumb: you need something that allows you to sort your tasks by context; something that allows rather than forces due dates; something that does NOT force priority coding; and a "nice to have" but not a necessity is linking next actions to projects.

If you find something that does all that and you can use it without having to think overly hard about it, then I'd say you've found a winner.

Good luck!

bcmyers2112

Registered
mcogilvie;113051 said:
It looks at the pricy end of things and painfully gtd-compliant.

It may seem counter-intuitive to some but I actually like apps that are not "designed for GTD" because the latter lock you into someone else's interpretation of GTD. One thing I've learned is that there as many valid ways to "do GTD" as there are people. DA was smart to distill the principles but leave the implementation to the individual. "Non-GTD" apps generally allow more flexibility for me to implement the principles my way, or at least that's how I feel.

Folke

Registered
bcmyers2112;113059 said:
I actually like apps that are not "designed for GTD" because the latter lock you into someone else's interpretation of GTD.

I fully agree with that, especially in principle, but even in practice to a large extent. One of the better and more powerful apps of the more "generic task management" type is Toodledo. I used that for a long time.

But in practice, a lot of other generic apps do not meet these other important criteria too well:

bcmyers2112;113059 said:
... allows you to sort your tasks by context ... allows rather than forces due dates ... does NOT force priority coding.

Many apps, especially the simpler ones, usually have little other than due dates etc to organize and sort by, which makes them quite useless. No matter how cute little icons they have created (a coffee cup and a crescent moon etc) to make it is easy for you to choose a better time to do this task, it is still time-based, which is fundamentally almost the exact opposite of what we want.

AndrewGM1

Registered
mcogilvie;113051 said:
GQueues seems a bit clunky to me, but then again, so does the gmail web interface. And I don't like sharing my life with Google. I mean, if you were evil, wouldn't you deny it?

I agree that http://GQueues.com looks clunky (and I told the developer that), but in fact it scrolls fast and has smooth drag and drop. It has lots of features, a responsive developer, and good GCal integration. And it's cheap. I have tried probably every GTD program out there (at least for a little bit), and this one suits my purposes because it's available, doesn't get in the way, and helps me be productive. So I can put up with a less-than-beautiful interface. The developer is promising more features down the road.

I actually almost chose http://Doit.im instead -- it looks very nice and I think is the same price as GQueues. But the GCal integration didn't seem to work well at all (in fact, it was a mess), so for that reason alone I went with GQueues.

As for Google being evil... that's a consideration. But the Google apps are working well for me.

Daniel W

Registered
Now with Evernote integration IQTELL http://iqtell.com/ has everything to become your TRUSTED source. All of your calendars, emails, projects, to dos, project support materials, EVERYTHING in ONE PLACE. Very customizable to fit your needs. Give it a try.

G

I realize this post is a couple of years old, but it was a high-ranked hit in Google, so I thought I'd respond.

Personally I've been using IQTell and it will easily meet your functionality requirements. It was designed from the ground up with GTD in mind. If it's in GTD, then IQTell does it. (Projects, Actions, Waiting Fors - all linkable), integrates with all common email platforms including Exchange, Google, Yahoo!, generic IMAP, etc. Also integrates with the common calendaring solutions out there. Once you tie your email account(s) into IQTell, you can use one key to assign an email to a bucket like Actions, Projects, Waiting For, etc. Or you can just use the e-mail gateway - send an email to your customized iqtell address and it automatically goes to your desired bucket. Nice syncing via cloud - you can use web, iOS, or Android UIs. (Also, integrates nicely with Evernote - forgot to mention that.)

All in all it's pretty sweet - I've been very happy with it. The support staff has been super-responsive to bug reports and suggestions for improvements.

Liam McLey

Registered
I have recently moved my system to zendone (https://www.zendone.com). Before it I have used many different apps, and at this point one thing that is clear to me is that there is no such thing as a perfect GTD tool.

There are many things I like about zendone (their approach to next actions, process your inbox the GTD way, superb evernote integration, very good support and active community). There are also other things I like less, specially the lack of tickler support. They say that is coming in version 2.0, let’s see…

devon.marie

Registered
I've been fiddling with TickTick for the last few days and have actually really enjoyed it. After trying a slew of "GTD" apps, I found them all to fail at THE ONE crucial aspect of GTD - making it easy for me to keep track of my tasks. TickTick is a simpler approach, but I like it because it has two types of projects - ones where every task shows up in your "All" actions list, and one where they don't. So I have my Context lists set so they all show up in my All actions list, and my project lists set so they don't. Any action I can complete goes in its Context list, and any action in any project I can complete right now goes in its Context list as well, with the addition of a tag for the project, like #dadwebsite (for the website I'm building him). That way a search for the tag can pull up all tasks relevant to the project in one view, but I can also know which project the task belongs to when seeing it in its Context list. The end result is I have an Inbox, a giant "Next Actions" list in my "All" list, a Today view for deadlines, Next 7 days view, Context lists, and Projects lists. Here's a screenshot of my lists setup: http://d.pr/i/GZhl

I've found I have a much better grasp on what I'm working on when it takes a bit more maintenance to keep up (like moving tasks that become actionable to their context list, as opposed to it being automated, like some apps do). My perspective stays much more grounded. Wunderlist was too buggy for me, but I liked its simplicity. TickTick also has excellent repeating and reminder options (for those intermittent tasks I'd rather not see clutter up my todo list but I'd forget about otherwise). It's fast, syncs fast, is on iOS, Android, and web, you can email tasks to it... it's got everything I'm looking for, and so far so good. We'll see if it lasts, but for now I'm a happy camper :)

pachi

Registered
Try FacileThings. It's GTD on rails and you don't need to set up anything.

Your GTD system is built from the very first minute and you don't have to "think" about it. I think this is the main difference/advantage with other tools: you only think about your world, not the system where your world lies on.

robinK

Registered
i am experimenting with the web app https://momentum.earth (it is still in beta)

They have inbox and projects.
Subtasks are also possible, you can create indefinite hierarchies to organize/combine
projects and subtasks :)

It automatically marks the NextSteps from my projects, and shows them in a separate list grouped by context. I am totally into that feature ;)