Brother Labeler - which model?

M

maxsmith

Does anyone know what particular model Brother P-Touch Labeler DA recommends, if any, and why?

Do any of you have your own recommendations on a labeler, or good/bad experiences you could report on specific manufacturers/models?

Thanks for any input - I want to get a labeler soon, but want to get what will work best.

Max

M

maxsmith

Could you tell me what you like about the Dymo, and what particular model it is?

Thanks,
Max

H

Headhunter Bill

Labeler

I would also recommend the Dymo Letra Tag 2000 over the Brother P-touch.

It's cheaper.
It's smaller.
Best of all, when using the white paper labels, they are the easiest to peel and stick to the folder.

Peeling off the backing of a Brother label seems to be the most time consuming part of the process.

You can find them at any Kmart, Walmart, etc...

C

CosmoGTD

Labels

I almost bought a labeller, but then i got some Avery labels for my computer. These things work GREAT!
I downloaded the free MS Word Wizard, you punch in the model number of your labels, type the labels up, format within the boxes, and print!
I had ZERO errors, i can do one label at a time, and i went berserk labelling everthing, even the label envelopes!
It totally cleaned up my personal filing system.
It is very fast, and very easy.

K

Kudzu2u

He Cosmo, could you post the link to that Wizard??

Gordon - in Canada
Kudzu62

C

chascarter

Peter Bulthuis said:
A Brother labeler has a labelpeeler. Just pull the label out of it, and you can peel the label easily.

Where is the peeler? Getting these stupid labels peeled is driving me nuts.

Thanks

Peter Bulthuis

Registered
I have a Brother P-touch 65. This one has on the right a labelpeeler (it's marked with an arrow). What you have to do is: Push the label in the labelpeeler. Then pull it down and out of the peeler. After that, a short piece of the label will be split. Now, you easily peel it.

Greetz,

Peter

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
Labeler DA uses

As of this writing we've found the best Brother to be the PT-15. It's about $100 and you have to get it online (not available in the stores). It's fast, solid, easy. You can get it at Provantage.com

C

chascarter

Peter Bulthuis said:
I have a Brother P-touch 65. This one has on the right a labelpeeler (it's marked with an arrow). What you have to do is: Push the label in the labelpeeler. Then pull it down and out of the peeler. After that, a short piece of the label will be split. Now, you easily peel it.

Greetz,

Peter

I too have a PT-65, but it does not seem to be equiped with the peeler. On the side opposite the tape feed is a spot to hook a strap, but nothing else. I have a Dymo labeler at work, and it has a split down the middle of the tape baking that easily peels away. I wish Brother would make tape that did that. Oh well.

Peter Bulthuis

Registered
Above the powerbutton there is a slot with an arrow. It's also above the cordhanger. There, you have to push your label in. Then, you to pull it down and out of the slot.

Peter

A

Anonymous

The ptouch 1750 is only $50. I believe DA recommends "the cheapest brother labeller that has a port for an AC adapter" The brother ptouch 1750 was exactly that at office depot last week. BTW the AC adapter has proven to be tough to track down. But my 6 batteries (radio shack brand) have lasted my entire overhaul process and still ticking.

A

Anonymous

I prefer the 2310 - with PC interface

I prefer the Brother PTouch 2310 for file labels, I was given the Sieko labelmaker which is great for a variety of labels, but for file labels I bought a few PTouch 2300 and 2310 for different offices I have set up.

I recommend getting a model that has the computer USB interface if you are comfortable witha computer - it is far easier to type on any computer keyboard over any labelmaker keyboard (although the QWERTY keyboard on the PTouch does make the palable), plus you can get fancy, and save templates to make the process more fun and store more information on the labels.

I use 3/4" labels on the PTouch for file labels to get the biggest text possible.

A

Anonymous

I prefer the 2310 - with PC interface

I prefer the Brother PTouch 2310 for file labels, I was given the Sieko labelmaker which is great for a variety of labels, but for file labels I bought a few PTouch 2300 and 2310 for different offices I have set up.

I recommend getting a model that has the computer USB interface if you are comfortable witha computer - it is far easier to type on any computer keyboard over any labelmaker keyboard (although the QWERTY keyboard on the PTouch does make the palable), plus you can get fancy, and save templates to make the process more fun and store more information on the labels.

I use 3/4" labels on the PTouch for file labels to get the biggest text possible.

A

Anonymous

Brother PT2610

I am happy with the Brother PT2610 for file labels, mostly because it allows you to use Avery label tape (which doesn't have any "peeling" issues). It cost about $130 at Staples. You might do better online at www.shopper.com.

We also have a small $30 Brother labeler at home, which hasn't been nearly as useful because it only uses laminated tape.

The 2610 took about a half-hour to get used to its templates and zero in on the one that I now use all the time. It was time well spent.

A

Anonymous

Labeler reco

At work I purchased the Esselte Dymo 100+ kit because it was the cheapest one that came with a charger in the Boise Catalog - and it is GREAT. The tape is split in the back & is a breeze to get the backing off. $80 with a spiffy plastic case, charger, & amazingly 6 batteries.

I tried to save money at home by getting the Brother PT65, but am sending it back. No tape removal device on mine, either, & it took my kids (masters with stickers, of course) over a minute to get the backing off. I couldn't do it at all with my thicker fingernails. Now I'm spending the extra money to get one I know works well.

Scott in GA

moises

Registered
Re: Labeler reco

Scott in GA said:
At work I purchased the Esselte Dymo 100+ kit because it was the cheapest one that came with a charger in the Boise Catalog - and it is GREAT. The tape is split in the back & is a breeze to get the backing off. $80 with a spiffy plastic case, charger, & amazingly 6 batteries.

I tried to save money at home by getting the Brother PT65, but am sending it back. No tape removal device on mine, either, & it took my kids (masters with stickers, of course) over a minute to get the backing off. I couldn't do it at all with my thicker fingernails. Now I'm spending the extra money to get one I know works well.

Scott in GA

This past summer, when I first read GTD, I got all hyped up to find a labeler. Then I saw that my son had a Dymo LetraTag (www.dymo.com) at home. I tried it and it worked fine. I work in a family business. The next day I mentioned to my father that I need a labeler. He said that he gave my son the Dymo and that he had one at work that he never used.

Now I started to get very nervous. I knew that DA stressed the importance of being able to plug the labeler in so that you never run out of electricity. I've been using mine since July and I have been very happy. It needs 6 AA batteries and I always have plenty of batteries in the office. I am glad I don't have another gadget on my desk that needs wires. My phone and Palm, and PC and printer cables are in enough of a tangle already.

I keep my Dymo in my draw and use it all the time.

From a broader perspective, DA's advice was spot on. I used to studiously avoid ever making new folders. Now, with my handy-dandy labeler in my desk drawer, I make new labels daily.

(Off-topic fyi: I also follow the advice of many here and keep an Excel spreadsheet of all my folder names in column A, and anything important I want to say in column B. So, if I add a new document to a folder, and I think there's any chance that I might not remember that it's there, I'll add to column B a description of that document. Six months later I might ask myself, "Where did I put the health insurance plan analysis?" So I'll hit Ctrl-F to search "health insurance". Someday/maybe Ill add worksheets for the contents of my other cabinets in my office.)