• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Context list categories

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I am interested in what folks use as their context list categories. Would folks be willing to share their categories? I am interested in exploring different categories beyond the standard @calls, @computer, @office, etc.

Thanks!
Longstreet :)
 
Sure. Here are mine (for todolists):

@home
@internet
@boss (a waiting for/agenda category that I can check more often than I check @waitingfor)
@out&about (the king of all categories)
@parents (agenda)
@someday maybe
@waiting for
@work
@done

and, DA would just not approve:
@today

By way of explanation, it makes little sense for me to have separate @work, @phone and @computer lists, since all are things I do while parked in my chair, and my work just doesn't lend itself to making all my calls at one time.

The @today list is something I developed because I have more than one screen of things on my @work list. Each morning I try to pull off the most critical things from @work and move them to @today, then leave this Palm desktop screen up all day so I can focus on those few things without being distracted by the other stuff on the list.

I like someday/maybe as a category in todos rather than as a memo because then it is easy to bounce things from @home (for example) to @someday/maybe and back as I decide whether or not I really need to do them anytime in the near future.

I also am interested in hearing other people's categories.

Taxgeek
 
Ok here's mine :)

@1st Things 1st
@Home
@Office
@People (Agendas, birthdays, etc)
@Reading
@Store/Errands
@Yard

My 1st Things list is similar to the "Today" list. I have Agendus set to highlight anything in that category, so they'll stand out and remind me of what's most important, first hopefully, each day.

Other todo categories are:
Bills to pay (highlighted in Agendus w/different color. Dated and $Amt noted)
Project List
Project Support
Someday/Maybe
Ticklers
Waiting For

Kathy
 
My Context Lists

I'll weigh in with
@Home
@Office
@Car
@Phone
@W Computer
@H Computer
@PDA
Someday
Delegated
@Out/About
:P I find that having a Delegated Context really helps when determining who's resposible for what. I prefix the task with the person's 1st name and file under the context category on the Palm and/ or Outlook.
 
context list categories

here goes (kinda scary to lay all this out)

@agenda (prefix name with @ in the task like @alice @ted) -- but often many of the items in this category is taken care of in @calls and @email below. -- usually best use for @agenda is for monthly management meeting or weekly meetings with individual or group staff.

@calls

@computer (doesn't matter home or work -- usually have a zip disk with me with work i need on either) -- drafting reports, putting together spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations etc.

@email (separate from computer as i have a blackberry so i can crash thru a lot of emails while traveling)

@errands/store

@home office (bills/mortgage/financial planning/filing at home/some calls that need info that i have at home rather than with me

@home (stuff at home not in home office -- yard/fix it jobs, etc)

@online -- web browsing -- some email where attachments are necessary

@rd/rev/decide -- general category for reading / reviewing/planning/deciding items -- if somethings stays too long in here it will start to putrefy and stink, so it's a dangerous parking place for next actions.

@wtg -- waiting on stuff (i also put delegated projects in here.

i keep someday/maybes and project lists elsewhere so not to clutter up todo application in palm with anything but next actions.

@office (don't use this one much except when i need to run a big copy job or something that requires stuff i have in the office and not elsewhere)
 
Funny this should come up, I've just been reviewing mine.

@ Anywhere - pocket pc stuff
@ Calls
@ Cards - birthday cards & sympathy, etc.
@ Computer
@ Computer - on line
@ Crafts - so I remember what projects I'm working on
@ Errands
@ Gardening
@ Housework
@ Office - sometimes it just doesn't fit in calls, computer or paperwork
@ Paperwork - I'm into administration, sometimes it's just paperwork
@ Reading
@ Waiting

Got rid of
@ Bills
@ Cleaning
@ Home

Anyway, that's my 2 cents

Christine
 
I work two jobs, both of which have me glued to a chair, phone and computer all day and night. Both jobs are very similar with the exception that I work for someone during the day (Work) and that I work for myself night (Studio).

These are the categories I set up in Outlook and Pocket PC to help me keep my projects straight:

!Today
@Calls
@Comp-Studio
@Comp-Work
@Errands
@Home
@Waiting-Home
@Waiting-Studio
@Waiting-Work
@Agendas
@Projects-Home
@Projects-Studio
@Projects-Work
@Someday-Home
@Someday-Studio
@Someday-Work
 
Top