Contexts in OmniFocus, how to select multiple

ivanjay205

Registered
Hi everyone,

In "traditional" GTD you would have contexts by tool, time, and energy as limiting factors. However, Omnifocus does not allow you to select multiple tags. The combinations could be quite a few in terms of # of perspectives. How do most of you organize your data in OmniFocus to allow for multiple tag selections. Let's say I am full of energy, have 30 minutes, and am on a computer.....

I would ideally want to select 30 minutes which includes all next actions 30 minutes or less, high energy which includes all energy levels, and my computer tag as my available next actions.....

Thanks!

mcogilvie

Registered
The pro version of Omnifocus will let you create perspectives that will let you do what you want. You should also look at the “Combined Tags” setting for sorting in perspectives.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Just be careful not to over-complicated things - the limiting criteria is often self evident or intuitive.
As David Allen says about color coding; it adds a level of complexity that's hardly ever worth the effort...

FocusGuy

Registered
r, Omnifocus does not allow you to select multiple tags. The combinations could be quite a few in terms of # of perspectives. How do most of you organize your data in OmniFocus to allow for multiple tag selections. Let's say I am full of energy, have 30 minutes, and am on a computer.....
Yes it does with the pro version. Use perspective to set your system. Advice : make it simple.
After a few days with Things I am back to Omnifocus. Perspective, sort and search functions missed me so much...
Nothing I tried is worth Omnifocus...

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
Just be careful not to over-complicated things - the limiting criteria is often self evident or intuitive.
As David Allen says about color coding; it adds a level of complexity that's hardly ever worth the effort...
This is a great point and humbly suggest should be taken very seriously from some one who uses colors in a very 'rigid' manner in that the color scheme is very static with the color sequencing always has unchanging meaning. The colors themselves, like compass coordinates are always pointing to general and particular meanings. Outside of the five objective GTD workflow system framework itself, three GTD personalized function remain very relatively unchanged: 1. Five General Areas-of-Focus, 2,. Five Particular Areas-of-Focus, 3. Five Associated Colors. 5 + 3 = 8 (signifies infinity, just saying. . . . )

This coordinated colorized GTD meaning has proven itself durable ['four wall directions and a floor'] in allowing me to constantly, instantly, intuitively, self-evidently be informed, thorough either paper or digitally without any deliberation, head-scratching, uh's, wondering, etc. as a kindergarten 'visual learner' 'i is.' The Color's noun meanings identify unchanging Purposes, Principles, Values, etc., while appropriate ever changing 'adjective/verb' realities are also captured/corralled by unchanging 'color realities.' Thus, it helps me use GTD on training wheels in that the stable/static color coordination links what can be extremely dynamic and even overwhelm to what is durably static in keeping all meaningful reality in perspective for a subjective mind like water effect that is very calming. All good. . . .

Last edited:

Oogiem

Registered
some one who uses colors in a very 'rigid' manner in that the color scheme is very static with the color sequencing always has unchanging meaning. The colors themselves, like compass coordinates are always pointing to general and particular meanings.
I would say that it depends on you. For me using colors in general is a distrcation and is not helpful. My one exception is that I use different colored headers in my Obsidian notes to distinguish between levels. For me, if I tried to use color to indicate GTD things like context or values or levels I'd go nuts as I never think that way. I can read a text in black and white far faster than I can process what a color is supposed to mean because I never think of colors as having any meaning.