• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

David Allen shares about the natural progression of GTD

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Interesting food for thought I saw in my email this morning:

Q: Some of us agonize more over the how of GTD than the principle behind it. Thus GTD becomes itself a task rather the tool for which it was originally designed.

David: That's a natural progression into the initiation of GTD as a lifestyle thought process. The trick is not to give up on the principle because you put too much effort into the method.
 
Fun to read this - i had a similar thought yesterday.

The first time I implemented GTD I thought it was a system - my index cards, my omnifocus, my Filofax. I stopped using it because of that. Because it was outside of me and I couldn't get it "right" and it was a burden.

Now I get that it is a learned thought process which just takes practice to get used to and perseverance to make natural. And the "system" is just an organized, external version of what I want to do and get done.

The effort in the beginning is also so magical. All the energy I got from reading Getting Things Done was harnessed to empty my brain for the first time. You need that honeymoon adrenaline to set things up. It's the time after the initial kick that is hard - where you can disappear into fixing the system or start practicing the approach.
 
gatorm;107956 said:
The first time I implemented GTD I thought it was a system - my index cards, my omnifocus, my Filofax. I stopped using it because of that. Because it was outside of me and I couldn't get it "right" and it was a burden.

Now I get that it is a learned thought process which just takes practice to get used to and perseverance to make natural. And the "system" is just an organized, external version of what I want to do and get done.

The effort in the beginning is also so magical. All the energy I got from reading Getting Things Done was harnessed to empty my brain for the first time. You need that honeymoon adrenaline to set things up. It's the time after the initial kick that is hard - where you can disappear into fixing the system or start practicing the approach.

Thanks for sharing!
 
Top