David Allen's latest In Conversation

OF user

Registered
kelstarrising;104736 said:
I use my Weekly Review to make sure each project has a next action. ;)

You got me on that one! :D Thanks for the input and good luck with Evernote

TesTeq

Registered
We should think about our stuff at least once a week.

kelstarrising;104736 said:
I use my Weekly Review to make sure each project has a next action. ;)

I agree and I think that maybe every Project-Next Action automatic link in a GTD software is a wrong idea. It creates an illusion of controlling everything by appropriately tagging everything with keywords or other means of database records linking. And it makes our Weekly Reviews less thoughtful - we become less aware of our Projects.

David Allen says that we should think about our stuff at least once a week so we mustn't replace this reflection time with any form of automation.

mommoe436

Registered
EVERNOTE - Creating lists within a Note or as separate Note

OF user;104735 said:
Makes sense. My problem with Evernote is handling projects. I assume you search for keywords to make sure each project has a next action?

I find having a list within a note more difficult to manage - ie, move between "notes." Although I love the check boxes, it seemed to take me too much time to update lists.

So I decided to have each item in a separate note. The title of the note is the list item (project name, next action, etc). I can easily drag, drop, etc. I use tags for my contexts and have started tagging projects with the AOF. I then use Notebooks to further organize. The challenge is that you can't have two notebooks open at one time (at least I haven't found a way).

During WR it was difficult to see which projects did not have a NA without a lot of effort and/or relying on visual review of lists.

Recently I set up a Notebook Titled ACTIVE - and added two sub Notebooks for NAs and Projects. I have a separate INACTIVE NOTEBOOK with the rest of my projects and a REFERENCE notebook.

I start each ACTIVE Project and NA note title with a Key word so I can sort within this ACTIVE Notebook (which includes both sub notebooks) and get a list of all my Active Projects and NA - this allows me to see which Projects do not have a NA...I then drag those that do not have NA to another Notebook title "Projects needing NA" which allows me to segregate these and address more quickly - creating NAs and dragging the project back to my Active Projects notebook.

I have had challenges with clean edges between Projects and NAs and so far this seems to work. I really like Evernote so I am very interested in how others are using for their GTD.

eldiente

Registered
kelstarrising;104728 said:
I moved to Evernote because I wanted to learn it, and wanted a tool that excelled with reference. OmniFocus can handle reference, but I don't think it's where it shines. And I didn't need a super robust list manager for my personal stuff. I only have a few projects and a few lists. I really needed a great personal reference tool, accessible across any platform, where I could also manage my lists.

Kelly - do you use any type of date functionality with Evernote (start date, due date, tickle date, tags ala Secret Weapon for today, tomorrow, next week, etc)?

Thanks,
Vaughn

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Kelly - do you use any type of date functionality with Evernote (start date, due date, tickle date, tags ala Secret Weapon for today, tomorrow, next week, etc)?

Thanks,
Vaughn

I do not follow or recommend the Secret Weapon's approach.

I just add whatever simple set of information I need to know what I've committed to and by when.

eldiente

Registered
kelstarrising;104776 said:
I do not follow or recommend the Secret Weapon's approach.

I just add whatever simple set of information I need to know what I've committed to and by when.

Do you put the date in the item heading or do you tag?

Thanks

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
eldiente;104777 said:
Do you put the date in the item heading or do you tag?

I have not been using tags for my Next Actions or Project lists. Only for Reference information.

For my Next Action lists, I add the due date, only if there is one. Waiting Fors also get a date listing the date I started waiting. For example:

Attached files

TesTeq

Registered
10 out of 5 iTunes stars!

kelstarrising;104626 said:
I am humbled and honored that David asked me to be his latest In Conversation. I hope you all find this useful!

Finally I've managed to listen to this best ever In Conversation episode. 10 out of 5 iTunes stars!

1) I've learned that the best way to become The Chief Of The GTD Tribe is to break a leg! ;-)

But seriously - you never know if a mishap is a real mishap or the best opportunity in your life.

2) You talk about a glue that is needed to keep your information and actions in sync. DavidCo cooperates with Intentional Software to develop the formula for this glue. As I wrote earlier:

TesTeq;104751 said:
(...) maybe every Project-Next Action automatic link in a GTD software is a wrong idea. It creates an illusion of controlling everything by appropriately tagging everything with keywords or other means of database records linking. And it makes our Weekly Reviews less thoughtful - we become less aware of our Projects.

David Allen says that we should think about our stuff at least once a week so we mustn't replace this reflection time with any form of automation.

I think that no glue will replace my brain in glueing it all together. If I delegate this process to some external software system will the decisions be mine or this system's. Will it be my life (with all successes and failures) or this system's. Will I be a free human being or this system's slave?

3) I totally agree that there's no progress in productivity support between my first Palm V and my iPhone 4S. I even think that Palm software with all its limitations was a better system to handle lists, calendars and contacts. And Palm V was a distraction-free device - no Internet access just you and your lists with widgets to be cranked.

4) I would like to thank you both - David and Kelly - for creating a virtual space (GTD Connect) where I can learn a lot and share my thoughts about productivity, information technology and... life. Each of my 3000+ posts took time to create but from my perspective it was time well-spent. Thank you!

Vickie

Registered
Thanks!

kelstarrising;104632 said:
Sure! It's early days, and there's no saying it will stay this way, but I have 4 Notebooks setup:

I am only using tags in the Reference notebook. Here are my tags so far, but I'm finding I'm using search more than sorting by tags.

Within Next Actions, I have individual notes setup for each context I need. For example, "Errands" is a note within Next Actions, and the body of Errands holds my list:

For Projects, each project is a note within the Projects Notebook. For Someday, I have 4 different Someday list nested within that Notebook.

What I love is that I can be on my DAC Mac, personal Mac, iPhone or iPad and access this information. That's where Lotus Notes wasn't working for me. Especially when I was taking my long vacation over the holidays, completely untethered from any work devices, when I knew I needed to find a better solution for my personal data.

Hope that helps!

Thanks SOOOO much, Kelly! I had "Organize Evernote" as a Project that I kept pushing back because I lacked any good ideas of how to setup. LOVE how you've kept it simple and intuitive. Very inspired to get going on this now.

Thanks!

fleosmartinez

Registered
Great insights!

Hi Kelly,

Delurking to say that I really enjoyed your conversation with David Allen-- it was great to hear the affection between long-time colleagues!

Re your testing of Evernote, are you finding that it might serve as a more robust list manager suitable for work--while still following your streamlined set-up?

Thanks again for all you do,
Frances

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
fleosmartinez;104888 said:
Hi Kelly,

Delurking to say that I really enjoyed your conversation with David Allen-- it was great to hear the affection between long-time colleagues!

Re your testing of Evernote, are you finding that it might serve as a more robust list manager suitable for work--while still following your streamlined set-up?

Thanks again for all you do,
Frances

Welcome Frances! Yes, I am finding that Evernote could easily become a streamlined work list manager and reference database. I am using it for personal only right now. And, I already changed it a bit from what I have posted below. Instead of having action lists be notes within "Next Actions", I made each Action list a separate Notebook. That way, I can use the Evernote email function to email directly into those notes when I have already determined the next action. You can't email into existing notes, only into existing Notebooks, so that's why the switch.

I also created an "Inbox" Notebook to capture things still to-be-processed.

I'll write up my Evernote system in an article, when it's a little more fleshed out. I am still tweaking it almost every day.

Frannie

Registered
Thanks!

kelstarrising;104920 said:
Welcome Frances! Yes, I am finding that Evernote could easily become a streamlined work list manager and reference database. I am using it for personal only right now. And, I already changed it a bit from what I have posted below. Instead of having action lists be notes within "Next Actions", I made each Action list a separate Notebook. That way, I can use the Evernote email function to email directly into those notes when I have already determined the next action. You can't email into existing notes, only into existing Notebooks, so that's why the switch.

I also created an "Inbox" Notebook to capture things still to-be-processed.

I'll write up my Evernote system in an article, when it's a little more fleshed out. I am still tweaking it almost every day.

Thanks Kelly!

Frannie

Registered
Tried that!

kelstarrising;104924 said:
The latest screen shot of my Evernote system:

Kelly,
Thanks-- I tried that arrangement and like it! I also like that because actions moving from project lists can be checked off but maintained on that list, I can just delete the next action notes that I generate from project lists.

Because I sometimes like to see all of my next actions in one list, I am testing adding a symbol to the title of each next action note to get that view (I'll drop if I find it too fussy).

I do like the ability to keep lists with reference. Yesterday, I had interviews and a meeting that all required a review of and reference to multiple documents. I was able to send those document directly to evernote as attachment to my next action, review and refer to them as needed, and then store them in reference all in the same place.

Julie helped me set up on RTM last year, but as I began tracking more complex projects, I found that I needed something different. I need cross-platform so omnifocus is not the answer. I've also been testing Nirvana HQ per Mark Dillon rec and do like it, seems to have elements of both omnifocus and RTM. I am finding that for me, the automation of processing seems to hinder my thinking process The Frank Sopper evaluation indicated that my learning style is highly verbal. I think that the need to physically convert project actions into next actions is a way of talking to myself and helps me to commit to the work. It is less efficient, but I think for me pays off in the long run. (I am also not in charge of complicated matrixes systems as my work, which gives me more flexibility.)

I look forward to following the evolution of you evernote system.

Thanks!

Frances

David Parker

GTD Connect
MAking Contexts into Notebooks rather than Notes

Kelly

The advantage of keeping a separate Notebook for each Context is that Evernote automatically tells you how many Notes (i.e. Next Actions) are sitting in each Notebook (i.e. Context).

Dave

enyonam

Registered
drparker48;105856 said:
Kelly

The advantage of keeping a separate Notebook for each Context is that Evernote automatically tells you how many Notes (i.e. Next Actions) are sitting in each Notebook (i.e. Context).

Dave

FYI - You get the same thing using tags for each context....

David Parker

GTD Connect
See all your Next Actions

Frannie;105022 said:

Because I sometimes like to see all of my next actions in one list, I am testing adding a symbol to the title of each next action note to get that view (I'll drop if I find it too fussy).

If you use the arrangement that Kelly has then if you click on the Notebook stack that contains each individual Context Notebook then you'll get a list of all the Notes within the whole stack.

Dave

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I made two new additions recently to my Evernote system.

1. I created a "Completed" Notebook for all completed Next Actions and Projects that I want to keep.

2. I created a "Due Soon" tag to tag Next Actions that are due within the next 3 weeks or so.