differents paper gtd implementations

A

Anonymous

Hi all!

Those of you who use paper version of gtd, what kind of paper implementation do you prefer?
I mean physic stuff: standar paper planners, made-to-measure planners, plain notebook, blank pages in forlders… And I mean also procedures and methods.

I know that the best tool is the tool that fits the way you work, and I know the most important thing is "what´s next action"... I know the main idea, ok. But I´m looking for new ways in order to try a test them.

I will really appreciate all your comments,

thanks

F

Frank Buck

Before going to the Palm, I used a portable-sized Day-Timer. The left-hand page gave me room for appointments and 10 lines for to-dos. I used those 10 lines for items that were day specific. The right-hand page was extremely valuable to jot down random inofrmation that came my way during the day. The modifcation I made was to snap in a page which I would move from day to day. That page would house my next actions grouped by subject. That page got re-written once each week. The waiting for list lived on a page following the last day of the month. Projects and Future Projects were on pages following the Waiting For list.

I started following a suggestion Time Design uses, that being to mark through completed items with a highlighter rather than placing a check mark beside them.

A

Anonymous

Paper Planners

I have gone from Daytimers (Pocket) back in '91 to Desksize to Franklin (work provided - 2 years) to finally Time/Design. Each has strengths, and fit a different mindset. Thus far I have been very happy with Time/Design (only three years so far), so much so that I have a Palm Vx sitting in the desk. Should note I am the Systems Manager for an engine plant for Ford (not sure if that is pro or con for electronic?!?). Find planning on paper is best for me, the visual overview that paper provides can not be be overlooked.

I have found that Time/Design comes the closest to GTD of all the planners out there that I have been able to find..

Features:
- list for each next action grouping / todo (as many or few as you need)
-- Someday/Maybe
-- NextAction
-- @computer
-- @phone
-- @office
-- waitingfor
-- followup
-- etc

- calendar
- place for day specific actions
- monthly overview
- reference section(s)
-- one section for each direct report (15)
-- open projects > 20
-- vacation planning for group
-- disaster recovery quicklist (contact list, location of documents etc)
- phone list (of course)
- forms to handle project plans

Visit the website http://www.timedesign.com

Of course that is the US site and there is an international one out there.

F

Frank Buck

There is a relationship between David Allen and Time Design, but I am not 100% sure what it is. I called Time Design one time to ask for a catalog. During the conversation, I mentioned the remarkable similarity between the techniques they suggest on their website and what David teaches. The person I spoke with said that David had been President of Time Design. (Maybe Jason or David can jump in and clear that up.)

I do remember David posting one time about being the one who responsible for that next action fold-over page.

M

madridSP

paper based planner- personal set-up

Good topic eja:

I also would appreciate some ideas about setting a personal implementation of a GTD paper-planer.

Thanks for your contributions!