Does a good Task Managr / MindMappr / Project Managr / Calender combined tool exist?

Oogiem

Registered
Ship69 said:
I thought we were supposed to review all the Active (i.e. "Do ASAP") tasks at least once every day and review all Someday Maybe tasks in our Weekly Review, no?
No, that is not in the GTD books. In fact in several places and in lots of the GTD Connect stuff it talks about layers of Someday/Maybe. Essentially applying context to your Someday/Maybe lists too. For most folks that context is by time frame (monthly, quarterly, long term, bucket list/blue sky) for me it's by location (general farm, Red Barn, Little House, Main House) but it took a while to get there. You have to try options to find wht works for you, which is hwy no single app can be built that does it all because we all do it differently.

Gardener

Registered
Ship69 said:
However I'll have to think how best to implement that, being as it will slow things down having another layer of Folder (if I'm staying with MLO) and there is no ability to add Lists to the List fields in GTDNext.

See, I wouldn't even put those more distant things into GTDNext. In my system, they'd be in plain, flat lists. As of yesterday, I realized that using OmniOutliner for those lists adds more structure than I want for them, so I now have text lists, named based on my own advice:

Gardening On Deck
Gardening Someday
Sewing On Deck
Sewing Someday
Other On Deck
Other Someday.

"Other" may or may not get broken out into more topics as time goes on. (Health, Finance, Household, whatever.)

This is all personal stuff; I can't use OmniFocus for work. At work, I already have a similar system--many lists (in Word files in tables), each with many backlog items, that get reviewed every few weeks or when the current tasks for a project are getting thin and I want to "pull" something.

This way, the stuff that you're not reviewing this week isn't even in your sight. If it's time for the monthly or quarterly review, you get it out; if it isn't, it's not there distracting you.

If you do want everything in the same system, OmniFocus allows you to set a review frequency for each project, and will give you a Review view. I realize that you can't use OmniFocus, but while you're working out features that you wish a tool had, that's a possibility.

Ship69

Registered
Gardener said:
See, I wouldn't even put those more distant things into GTDNext. In my system, they'd be in plain, flat lists.

Can you say more about that. Are you saying that you would actually prefer to have your distant things NOT broken down in to tasks, and NOT flagged, NOT categorized, NOT prioritized nor sorted in any way... and held in a single ASCII text file?! (Or maybe word document or spreadsheet)

If so what happens to stuff that due to changing priorities goes from your Active/"On Deck" list to your Someday list... And then back?

Oogiem

Registered
Ship69 said:
Can you say more about that. Are you saying that you would actually prefer to have your distant things NOT broken down in to tasks, and NOT flagged, NOT categorized, NOT prioritized nor sorted in any way... and held in a single ASCII text file?! (Or maybe word document or spreadsheet)

If so what happens to stuff that due to changing priorities goes from your Active/"On Deck" list to your Someday list... And then back?

Not Gardener but that is basically what I do as well. My more distant things are in DEVONThink as plain text notes. My Omnifocus system has things that I can do in this given season. I update those possibilities at my quarterly reviews. My other lists have things that are either future seasons or longer term stuff.
I do have them somewhat categorized though, I have that sort of stuff in lists like Knitting Projects to Do, Farm Projects to Do, Main House Projects, Red Barn Projects, Weaving Projects to Do and so on. I have 44 of that sort of list.

Gardener

Registered
Ship69 said:

That's almost it, yep. I do choose to break them up into large categories--Gardening, Sewing, and at work Widget Database Backlog, that sort of thing. So I suppose that's a level of sorting.

But they're not broken down as tasks, not sorted within their list, not categorized, not prioritized, not necessarily phrased into neat carefully named projects.

Ship69 said:

It depends. Let's go with a scenario.

Let's say that Gardening Someday is a text file, and I review it quarterly. It contains, among many other things:

Blueberries?

In my late-winter review I see this and say, yes! I'm finally going to do this! I'm going to plant blueberries!

So I delete that line from Gardening Someday, and add a line to my reviewed-weekly, Gardening On Deck text file:

Blueberries

A few weeks later, during my weekly review of Gardening On Deck text file I decide, OK, time to actually work on that. So I delete the line from Gardening On Deck and add a project to my main lists:

Project: Grow blueberries.
Next Action: Research growing blueberries.

I do the research. I learn that I have to do a bunch of soil prep. I realize that I'm not going to do that before the coming spring. So I do two things (Edited to correct: Actually, three things.)

1) I delete the Grow Blueberries project.

2) I create a project in my main lists:

Project: Prepare for planting blueberries in spring 2017.
Next Action: Weed-whack the blueberry row.

3) I move Grow blueberries back to Gardening On Deck, as a line that says:

Grow blueberries (Prepping for Spring 2017)

I may also add a tickler for buying the actual blueberries--in my case, an action in my Miscellaneous Actions project with a Start Date of the appropriate time to buy them.

As the summer progresses, I'll look at the "prepare for..." project, and I'll realize around, oh, August, that it's just not happening. So I delete the project, and I open my Gardening Someday text file, and I add a line:

Blueberries?

And during the next weekly review, I come across the "Grow blueberries" line in Gardening On Deck, and I delete it. Someday when the "buy blueberries" tickler comes up, I'll delete it--or, more likely, I'll catch it during a weekly review and delete it befor ethen.

So the blueberries floated to the surface, bobbed around for a while, and then were submerged again. I did a little copy-pasting, but the benefit is that the six dozen other projects that I didn't even consider doing this year, have just been sleeping in Gardening Someday, only rarely taking up even an instant of my time.

Edited to add: If I have any doubt that I'll remember the soil prep issue, I might summarize what I've learned so far when I re-add the project to Gardening Someday:

Blueberries? (Spring planting, lots of soil prep ideally done a full year ahead, acidified soil could annoy neighboring plants.)

TesTeq

Registered
Ship69 said:
Are you saying that you would actually prefer to have your distant things NOT broken down in to tasks, and NOT flagged, NOT categorized, NOT prioritized nor sorted in any way... and held in a single ASCII text file?! (Or maybe word document or spreadsheet)

In my system "distant" things are:
- NOT broken down into tasks (they are too distant to actively think about them);
- flagged / categorized / prioritized by review frequency (weekly > monthly > quarterly > yearly). I change Someday/Maybe item priority by moving it between lists.

Ship69 said:

Deactivate: Projects list --> Someday/Maybe Reviewed Weekly list
Activate: Someday/Maybe Reviewed Weekly list --> Projects list