Dumbing Down

TesTeq

Registered
Anonymous said:
It's funny. One of the ways that The David Allen Company could gauge whether the forum members "get it" or not, is by checking the activity of this board.

If everyone takes the revelations in this thread to heart, there'll be less and less activity here as time goes by... :D
OK. So it seems that Jason Womack, Mochant and other top posters still did not "get it" :?
TesTeq

M

mochant

Depends what you mean by "get it"

TesTeq said:
Anonymous said:
It's funny. One of the ways that The David Allen Company could gauge whether the forum members "get it" or not, is by checking the activity of this board.

If everyone takes the revelations in this thread to heart, there'll be less and less activity here as time goes by... :D
OK. So it seems that Jason Womack, Mochant and other top posters still did not "get it" :?
TesTeq

Like a lot of long-time GTD'ers, I find that I have a biorhythm of sorts when it comes to fiddling with my system. When I'm really engaged in my projects, I tend to "get simple" and focus on the actual "Getting" part of GTD. When I have a bit of time on my hands, I tend to fiddle.

I'm an inveterate, unabashed, and unrepentant gadget freak. I love playing with new technologies and productivity tools. I read voraciously. I blog furiously. And I spend time (when available) in communities like this one to exchange ideas, advice, and techniques.

If any of you have studied martial arts (of any sort), you know that practice, practice, practice is the path to mastery. Knowing the "how" of a thing is important in an intellectual sense but feeling the "how" in a physical sense is where the theory becomes reality.

So, in GTD terms, understanding the myriad ways the system can be implemented is important, but does not conote mastery. Effortlessly doing GTD in a flowing, mind-like-water fashion where collection, organization, disposition, and tracking is second nature is the sign of a black belt.

In Aikido, mind like water translates to an effortless, unhurried, flowing series of movements that use the energy being supplied by your opponent. This energy is redirected to your desired outcome. You expend little or no energy of your own.

In GTD, when a project's NA indicates that it is the next most important thing I can be doing in the context I am in provides the "energy", I direct that "energy" towards getting that thing done. When it's all working, it's blissful.

But, just like Tiger Woods, who was "in the zone" for a while and seemed unbeatable now struggles or a baseball player on a htting streak suddenly finds himself in a slump, even black belts have down cycles. Adjusting a stance or a swing or a GTD technique can often refresh one's approach and re-energize one's enthusisam.

Ultimately, that's the biggest benefit communities like this provide for me. An injection of enthusiasm and an eye-opening approach I might not have considered.

So "getting it" might mean different things to different people.

(Sorry for the ramble - I'm feeling a bit philosophical this morning :wink: )

A

Anonymous

Re: Dumbing Down

I think the key to evaluating tweaking your system is the brilliant question "What the desired successful outcome?" If something about your system blocks your productivity or effectiveness, then tweaking or experimenting is in order. I upgraded my PDA ToDo software because I was legitimately frustrated at the lack of functionality I knew I needed. What I use now is much more complicated and powerful - and worth it. On the other hand, if you are constantly tweaking in order to find a system that seems conceptually "perfect," you're on the wrong track. "Constantly" is the red flag, in my opinion. I've been there, too.

-andersons

Richard Love

Registered
Great thread, lots of good insight.

While I agree on the importance, simplicity. but ultimate difficulty of "just do it" I still think tools are important and thus I twiddle.

But, my twiddling has brought great dividends in that for many of the GTD processes I've found the tool that fits like a glove.

Next Actions/Calendar: Pocket Informant
Brainstorming, high level planning: MindManager
Project Management/Planning: Basecamp

I've struggled the most with the project planning/management process - I thought because of the need to somehow link next actions to projects.

It seems that this wasn't the problem at all, the real problem was finding a simple, elegant but powerful way to visualize my projects and to provide a clean way to update (myself as well as team members) and to report progress. It actually is simple enough to manage the small projects (anything requiring more than one activity) as well.

Basecamp lets me cleanly mangage my information without getting in the way. It, like the other tools I use, have become more or less invisible letting me focus on the outcome not the process. Mind like water.

A

Anonymous

TesTeq said:
Anonymous said:

TesTeq

Well, they're just doing their jobs, helping us, the "lowly masses". :lol:

Let's face it. GTD can be hard to do! Visiting forums to get support in implementing it is a good thing. But if it gets in the way of "doing", well... :roll:

A

Anonymous

What a nasty value judgment to make about absolute utter strangers.

What right do you have to comment upon other STRANGERS, and whether or not the GTD agenda is 'working' for them?

I find your comments, particular the repetitive nature of them, extremely rude.

*I* am able to determine what impact GTD has in my life, NOT *you* --- and I assure you, that you do NOT have the psychic skills to determine anything about me from reading postings on an online forum --- and nor do you have the right to guilt trip the posters here about their participation on the posting board.

A

Anonymous

Umm, friend....I believe that was meant as a joke, hence the smiley.

Relax! :)