Empty Head

andersons

Registered
Zelda said:
I think one of the challanges is, that it seem too much work to write the small atomic actions down. Thats why I devide into bigger pieces..and get stuck.
It could be that you resist putting more things into your system because you already have a lot, or too much, in there. For a system to work, there has to be an equilibrium between what goes in and what comes out. ("Comes out" means that you complete an action or project, then cross it off or somehow remove it from your lists.) If you're not doing stuff that's already listed in there, then not much is coming out, so adding more just gives you more to organize and review.

In another post, you said you have identified so much to do that you can easily feel overwhelmed. So I would suggest cutting down your commitments (i.e., "renegotiate" them) rather than adding more to them.

If I were you, I'd take a look at what's in my system now and get rid of anything you can. At least move it to a Someday/Maybe list and don't even look at it for awhile. Of everything else you feel you "must" do, pick a few projects that you could realistically do next week -- based on your actual past history, not on what you feel you "should" be able to do. Realistic is the key word here. In other words, estimate how much you have been accomplishing recently and choose just a little more work than that. Then, for sure, break the project outcomes down into actions that look concrete and doable. Ask "Do I know how to do that?" and keep breaking it down until the answer is "Yes!" Then put just those concrete actions on their own, now-short lists, and then report back next Friday whether you achieved them. :) This is one approach you could try, anyway.

S

Suziloo

andersons said:
If I were you, I'd take a look at what's in my system now and get rid of anything you can. At least move it to a Someday/Maybe list and don't even look at it for awhile. Of everything else you feel you "must" do, pick a few projects that you could realistically do next week -- based on your actual past history, not on what you feel you "should" be able to do. Realistic is the key word here. In other words, estimate how much you have been accomplishing recently and choose just a little more work than that. Then, for sure, break the project outcomes down into actions that look concrete and doable. Ask "Do I know how to do that?" and keep breaking it down until the answer is "Yes!" Then put just those concrete actions on their own, now-short lists, and then report back next Friday whether you achieved them. :) This is one approach you could try, anyway.

This is an excellent suggestion. I have been working in this mode for some time now and I am seeing incremental results and feeling less overwhelmed. One thing I would add, be patient with yourself. You can not go from being underproductive & procrastinating to being an A+ overachiever overnight. It will take time; if you are persistent with improving yourself & your productivity you will eventually get to a place where you are more confident in what you can achieve.

T

Tornado

I agree with andersons' suggestions as well.

Someday/Maybes that are mislabeled as Projects can be a terrible drain on your energy. If you are not really commited to something for any reason (not enough time, energy, money or motivation, etc.), make it a Someday/Maybe instead of a Project. That way you won't get paralyzed everytime you come across it in your Project List.

David

Zelda

Registered
Empty Head

I will try that. I think I have three problems:

1. Getting drawn away from work by the overwelming www :)
2. I'm not commitet to all my tasks - some just need to get done, because my boss thinks they are a great idea. I see his point and try to do my best on them, but too often I think " what a waste of time" while doing them.
3. I have NAs, where I'm not 100% aware of what I acutally should do. On some of these I know what to do, but doing it gives me a knot in my stomache --> point 1.

Thanks - you really make me think!
Zelda