facing a common issue with Gtd...need your guidance

Roger

Registered
It's probably no surprise which way I'm leaning in this, so I'll try to come up with something new and useful to say.

The idea that a system-enforced One Next Action somehow saves the user from having to decide which Next Action to proceed with is, I think, objectively inaccurate. The user still has to make this decision -- they just make it earlier on, when they decide which of their project's Next Actions they'll promote into the system. Whether that's a good time to make that decision is a matter of some debate, and I suspect there's enough variance between users and what they're up to that there'll be people on all sides of the fence.

All that being said, I can think of at least one core GTD artifact which actually does promote this sort of linear approach. And that artifact, my friends, is the checklist.

And, yes, a checklist doesn't need to be a strictly-ordered list of Next Actions (indeed, now that I look around a bit, I realize with a bit of a shock that most of my checklists are not ordered at all; hunh) but it is a very common implementation, which I think is worthy of some consideration.

Cheers,
Roger