Feedback needed in setting up digital GTD system

bcmyers2112

Registered
There is a workaround for syncing Outlook tasks to iPhone Reminders: instead of creating categories you can create a separate Outlook tasks folder for each context, as well as for Projects, Waiting For's and Someday/Maybe's. Of course, if you're not that invested in making Outlook work you may not want to bother.

I'll throw another suggestion into the mix: Wunderlist. If you want simplicity, this app really shines. Easy to use, very intuitive, and you can set it up in five minutes. Also it was recently acquired by Microsoft so there will likely be some integrations with Wunderlist and other MS products in the offing. I've used Wunderlist before and if I have to give up Evernote (which is possible due to an issue with my work laptop) I'd go back to Wunderlist in a heartbeat.

On the other hand Wunderlist doesn't offer the ability to link NAs to projects, or a lot of other features sported by some of the more feature-rich to-do apps. So if those are important to you, Wunderlist probably isn't going to be to your liking.

JeffB

Registered
Thanks everyone. I have 6 task managers up at the same time I am trying this week. I have given myself a deadline of this week to make up my mind. (clearly, I enjoy the torture I put myself through)

bcmyers2112, that is the second time I have read about that work around for Outlook and iPhone reminders. I am invested in Outlook. Is there a link you can give to show how to set that up?

I checked out Wunderlist. It didn't appeal to me on the surface, although I haven't tried it yet. I want simple, but also powerful. And unicorns. Lots of unicorns.

JeffB

Registered
After considering a lot of them today, I am switching to Todoist for the rest of the week/month and re-evaluate at that time. Toodledo actually works well, but I don't like that I have to use it in my browser. (Windows 8 Pro using Chrome on a ThinkPad) Doit has a Windows app and came in a close second. (this likely means I'll change my mind tomorrow) I wish IQTELL had a better context view on their iPhone app, because I like their interface, if it weren't in a browser.

Regardless, I need to follow my own good advice: It's me, it's not the app. It's just a list manager, I have to make the list work and sing.....

And as I write this, I am thinking about Doit. Lol. Updates to follow...

devon.marie

Registered
I'm a really big fan of Todoist. We've had an off and on relationship, but I think the fact that my Karma is currently 12,249 speaks for itself. I work in an industry where I have a LOT of hard deadlines and scheduled tasks, so I like that Todoist supports advanced date features. I also like that I can set up a variety of complex searches and save them, giving me a wide variety of perspectives with which to view my tasks. We also use Google Apps at work for our email, so its tie in to Gmail/Chrome is truly a blessing. Outside of using an app like WorkFlowy, it's the most flexible task app I've ever used. (Doit is pretty good, too, but as a designer, I can't use an application that gives its entire walkthrough on mobile in Comic Sans... the travesty!). Also, check out IFTTT - it lets you automate Todoist in a bunch of really powerful ways (like automatically generating reports of your completed tasks, for one).

bcmyers2112

Registered
JeffB said:
bcmyers2112, that is the second time I have read about that work around for Outlook and iPhone reminders. I am invested in Outlook. Is there a link you can give to show how to set that up?

I don't have it anymore. It's been a while since I've used Outlook tasks. Sounds like you've settled on Todoist anyway. But if you change your mind a Google search should turn up how to set up Outlook tasks folders.

Good luck!

JeffB

Registered
bcmeyers2112, thanks for the offer. After using Todoist today, and having the app on my iPhone, I believe I have a tool that will give me the opportunity to apply the disciplines of GTD with a mobile app, which I needed. Outlook got me started, and for what this is worth, the start up guide helped me with the intent of GTD.

Chirmer, I like the filters of Todoist. I setup a basic Inbox/No Label filter to get me started so I can confidently add ideas and tasks to the inbox and know I can pick them up later for processing. The possibilities are intriguing...

Folke, I enjoy reading your stuff, you have a definite point of view. Thanks for giving me some ideas. I appreciate them.

Overall, an app is an app to me in the GTD context. (no pun intended) Not accounting for taste, I need a system that is digital, clean, easy to use, with trustworthy syncability and the mobile app option. Todoist may not be the best, but as an old friend taught me, stop looking for the A+, find the B+, and execute like hell. Yada yada yada, :)