Forum and Site Bugs

Oogiem

Registered
And a third: Is there any resolution on getting the option back to see posts in reverse order in threads? Not the click on the little blue triangles but the old standard revers display? PLEASE! It's painfully slow to use the new way to get to the bottom and is backwards from what I've learned to read so I am finding myself totally confused over and over again.

vbampton

Administrator
According to the change log, the attachment bug (won't work if comments are disabled) will be fixed in the 5.1 update.

Oogiem said:
New bug. If you quote a post and make a reply. Then want to quote a different post to make another reply even when you click on quote under the new post what gets filled in the bottom reply box is the first one you selected.

I've found a solution for that one on the vBulletin forum (although it still feels like odd behavior): Click the quote button once, it will add the quote to the reply box. Click it again in another post, and you will see in the "floaty bar" at the top that the "Post Reply" button is highlighted and has the number of quotes next to it. Press this button when you have finished quoting, and all the quotes will go into the reply box.

Oogiem said:
Another bug still in existence - Trying to edit a reply during creation the cursor is often placed where you want the edit but the actual text you type goes somewhere else, the end, sometime the beginning, sometimes you cannot select text to change at all Happens a lot to me esp. when I try to fix typos.
​I've seen that one too, but I haven't figured out what triggers it yet.

Oogiem said:
And a third: Is there any resolution on getting the option back to see posts in reverse order in threads? Not the click on the little blue triangles but the old standard revers display? PLEASE! It's painfully slow to use the new way to get to the bottom and is backwards from what I've learned to read so I am finding myself totally confused over and over again.
That feature appears to be well and truly gone - it's missing from vBulletin's own forum too. BUT just above the post, click the Latest Activity button. I may be wrong, but it looks like it shows the first post then your preferred newest first from there on. It's an extra click, but might be less painful for you.

SiobhanBR

Registered
Reverse threads are an absolute must. Especially with the new page options at the top - any way to bring back the option to click directly on the page you want?? I go to a thread I'm following and now I have to type in a number to get to the page new the end of the thread. And often I guess wrong, so now I have to move a page up or back. It makes far more sense to see the newest posts first - significantly faster, particularly on long threads. I will try some of the options others have mentioned, but I'm still finding this new site requires much more clicking and scrolling to see anything than the old site.

SiobhanBR

Registered
John Forrister said:
I just ran that maintenance task, and several others. Does the Sharing GTD thread show up for you now?

I meant to add that I am unable to see any new threads on the Sharing GTD forum as well. The last one is dated November 2013. I can see on the main page that new posts have been made but when I go to the forum, there is nothing new there.

Oogiem

Registered
YES We need the reverse sort back SOMEHOW! Even with the tricks folks have found it's much harder to navigate than before.

SiobhanBR

Registered
vbampton said:
That feature appears to be well and truly gone - it's missing from vBulletin's own forum too. BUT just above the post, click the Latest Activity button. I may be wrong, but it looks like it shows the first post then your preferred newest first from there on. It's an extra click, but might be less painful for you.

Thanks for this! We're getting there. I see two current problems with using this method:

1. Still need to click it so I waste time waiting for the page to load on each thread and then have to click and wait for the page to load again. If this could be saved as the default view, that would be good, except for...
2. There is no quote button on the posts on this view. So in order to quote for this message I had to click on the forum, click on this thread, click on "Latest Activity", scroll down, noticed no quote button, scroll up, click "Posts", type "5" and enter, scroll down, click quote.

ArcCaster

Registered
If I go to http://gettingthingsdone.com/forum/, there is a link to "Who's Online". If I click, I see my own name, along with some demographics such as 'joined at', 'posts', and 'reputation'. The last one is not yet populated -- but my guesses at what will go in that field range from the cynical to the laughable. So, I question -- what is the purpose of that field, who is it for, and how is the content decided?

Rob

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi all, here's an update on the Sharing GTD forum. That forum is visible and accessible to GTD Connect members. The two subforums for certified trainers are not accessible, but when they have new posts, those will show up as new content in the Sharing GTD forum. For example, you probably see that I did a test post in Sharing GTD. That test post is the newest content in that forum since November 2013. There is recent content in the two subforums for certified trainers. I will look for a way to filter out the new content in the certified trainers subforums so it doesn't appear for GTD Connect members.

Oogiem

Registered
New bug noticed for first time today:

If you go into a forum with threads with new posts and try to right click on the tiny blue triangles to force the link to open in a new tab or new window(standard behavior for Safari users) you cannot do that. The blue triangles are not real links in that sense so I can't easily get to the bottom of a thread in a new place.

Makes for lots of back and forth to get to the bottom

Could be totally solved if the reverse sort bug was fixed

vbampton

Administrator
Oogiem said:
If you go into a forum with threads with new posts and try to right click on the tiny blue triangles to force the link to open in a new tab or new window(standard behavior for Safari users) you cannot do that.

Right-clicking on them's working here on Safari 7.0.3. Alternatively, try Cmd-clicking on it.

Oogiem

Registered
OK I'm going to ask DavidCo again, WHAT did you get with the new site that requires that you keep this terrible forum SW? I know we've been told that you can't go back because of stuff that is required for the new site. But the new forum is terrible. And you've admitted that you will consider other forum Software. So, with that said I want to see a DETAILED list of what you believe you have gained by this fiasco. And a much more comprehensive explanation of why you CANNOT go back to the old software. I still feel that we've not heard a good story from DavidCo at all.

Oogiem

Registered
New bug since last night. First time in to the forums no matter how I get there I only see the 2 public ones and am asked to log int, but can't as I'm told my username and password don't match. But if I select forum settings then try to get in to the forum I am still logged in and I see everything.

The link I use to get to the forums is: http://gettingthingsdone.com/forum/

hikerpa

Registered
I had the same thing happen today that Oogie describes. I went back to the main page clicked back on GTD Connect and was able to get back in without signing in again. Not sure what happened when it asked me to sign in.

Oogiem

Registered
More info, basically every time O go to the Connect forums the first time in I only see the public forums. If I go out to the top of the Connect site and back in I see all of them. Don't have to go to the forum settings at all.

SiobhanBR

Registered
Me too - it's been doing this for me for several weeks. Sometimes I need to re-enter my userid and password and sometimes not but I have to go to the Connect site before the forums.

renee_tg

Registered
Me too on having to access the connect home page then the forum to avoid re-entering my login info. What's wrong with search? My company is moving to Outlook so I wanted to search past posts. The search term Outlook only produces 32 results. (More specific searches show 0 results)