Get Clear webinar recording is available

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi GTD Connect members,

The recording of our recent Get Clear webinar is now available. This was the first webinar in a series of three, that explore ways you can develop even greater trust in your GTD system.

Video
https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/video.php?titleid=707&trackid=1332

Audio
https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=706&trackid=1331

The other two parts will be posted after the live webinars. You can still register for those, coming up on November 19 and December 18.

Get Current
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6266164415537159682

Get Creative
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3503851457470880258

Hrlakat

Registered
Great webinar - sorry I missed the live version!

Best takeaway for me: Meg's statistic about the average person coming to GTD has 400-700 hours of backlog. I feel normal - yay!!!!

I also liked the tip about listing your various inboxes (email / home / etc) on your weekly review checklist. I sort of do this, as I have an omnifocus task to delete email in each of my email boxes the day before my weekly review, but I didn't think about all the other inboxes I have. (The only inbox I process during my WR is my omnifocus inbox - all the others I do outside the WR.)

Can't wait till the next one in the series

Heather

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
I too found this one very useful and am looking forward to the next.
I knew I was getting bogged down in the 'get clear' step but couldn't figure out how to resolve it. Here are my take-aways:

** At home, calendar time to process new inputs through the week (Mon & Fri am), so I can stay current and not have an overwhelming pile to process during my WR (this has been making the WR something I dread, because I can never get through it!)

** During a mind sweep, for things like health issues that keep appearing on the list, ask “What do I need to do, to get it off my mind?” Then follow things through to a defined project, specific next actions, and perhaps calendar a date to remind me to review it in future (even though I should see it in my WR) – so my mind can relax and stop worrying! I may need to do mind sweeps regularly, and keep them outside the WR process so they don’t contribute more to my ‘In’ during the WR (see above).

** It may be helpful to consider WR as a Weekly Reflecting time (time to think, not to do just a cursory review or even to ‘do’ any tasks) – I could do this on Sun am from 8:30-9:30 since I’ve just quit another commitment in that timeslot.

** Keep saying ‘No’ – just because I’m asked, or I see something that looks interesting, doesn’t mean I have to add it to my current system. I can use Reference to store it, and possibly a Tickler to remind me of it in future when I might have a bit more bandwidth available.

Oogiem

Registered
Got a chance to listen to this while attempting to recover from some sort of cold thing I managed to catch.

Key point for me: I am not spending enough time on processing my ongoing inputs during the week so that I am continuing to build a backlog.

One thing not discussed is when processing inputs how to handle the cases where it takes far more than 2 minutes to get to the next action step for an actionable item to decide if it can be done within 2 minutes. I frequently end up spending 5-15 minutes just getting through the What is it, is it actionable and what is the next action steps and only then can I decide whether to finish it if it's less than 2 minutes or not.

Am I the only one with that sort of stuff in my inbox?

mommoe436

Registered
Oogiem... I've found that to be a challenge for me also .. I find myself mostly doing triage rather than thorough possessing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I'll ask Meg and Julie to speak to the topic of how it takes longer to process some inputs than others.

I've sure found that to be true for me. Deleting spam takes 1-2 seconds. But some project-related emails take me several minutes just to decide yes/no to the question, "Is this actionable?"

Oogiem

Registered
John Forrister said:
But some project-related emails take me several minutes just to decide yes/no to the question, "Is this actionable?"
Exactly, and if the answer is yes, it is actionable, it can take another 5-10 minutes to figure out what the next action really is.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Oogiem said:
Exactly, and if the answer is yes, it is actionable, it can take another 5-10 minutes to figure out what the next action really is.

I brought this up with Julie and Meg this morning, in our prep meeting for this Thursday's Get Current webinar. We'll touch on it at the beginning, and we think there is also plenty to talk about in another new webinar, dedicated to the clarifying/processing step. This will be helpful for advanced GTD practitioners, as well as those who are just learning. It's more of a deep dive into tactics for making it easier to 'Get In to Zero.'