Good news -- new forum software arriving the week of Oct 31-Nov 4

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hello GTD forum participants,

We are switching to better forum software during the week of October 31st. We will be migrating to software made by XenForo, with the goal of improving the experience you have as a forum user.

On the way to that better user experience, there are two inconveniences.

The migration will take about 2-4 days. To avoid losing any new threads or replies during the migration, the forum will be in read-only mode. You will be able to read previous threads, but not create new threads or replies.

The migration does not transfer your existing password. As soon as the migration is complete, we will send an email to the address in your forum profile with a randomly generated temporary password. You can use that to log in and then reset to the password of your choice.

We're looking forward to much more user-friendly forum software, to better support a lively discussion about the Getting Things Done methodology.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Yes, please provide an update, John. We are all looking forward to the new forum software!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
The migration is underway. You may not be surprised to hear that because the current software is buggy, it's also labor-intensive to migrate. We're still thinking that it could be done today or tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to the change as well. I have no illusion that Xenforo is perfect, and I'm sure there will be some learning curve. But from everything I've heard, it's much better than what we've been on.

Longstreet

Sounds great, John! Looking forward to the new forum software! Cheers!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
We're still here, making progress in the background. As usual, projects take longer than planned when surprises show up. For example, avatars weren't migrating correctly, but we've fixed that. Some weird characters are appearing next to the titles of threads. Working on that one. Post count is showing correctly, but at the moment we're all showing as New Member, so we've got work to do there. Most likely we will go live with things still to work out.

Longstreet

Sounds good. I am assuming we will still receive an email on how to logon to the new website?

Longstreet

Hi John! How about another update as to the where you all are with the migration to the new web software?

TesTeq

Registered
Longstreet said:
Hi John! How about another update as to the where you all are with the migration to the new web software?

The "funny" thing is that probably nobody will read 97% of the old threads which John and his team are thoroughly migrating. And nobody knows which threads are these important 3%. ;-)

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
With a nod to Pareto, we're now in the last 20% of work that seems to take 80% of the time to complete. Or as David Allen says in some way, things take longer than they take.

And yes, if anyone can specify the 3% of threads that matter, that would be great!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
We'll have a final read-only period for about 2 days, starting on the afternoon of Tuesday, November 15. That's when we'll be migrating over new threads and posts since the migration work began. If we don't have too many more surprises, we'll be live on Xenforo after that.