GTD Connect podcast - new ways to get access

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hello members!

As a GTD Connect member, you have access to our media library through the members-only podcast. That's distributed through iTunes, which supports authentication (verifying your member credentials). Thanks to your fellow member Dena Dahilig, she turned us on to an iPhone app that also supports authentication. That means you can bypass iTunes, if you choose, and use an application instead on your iOS device instead. The app she shared and we have tested is "Downcast." Search for it in the iTunes store. Simply enter the GTD Connect podcast feed URL (http://www.davidco.com/connect/podcast.php ) and your GTD Connect user name and password, and you'll have full access.

For Android users, the only one we've found (but have not tested) to support the required authentication is "BeyondPod Podcast Manager." We'd love if any Android users can check that out and let us know your experience.

We hope this is a useful enhancement to your membership and thanks again to Dena for the recommendation about new solutions.

Kelly

E

Erica.Vargas

I love new apps!

Thanks Dena. You could say I am a little obsessed with my ipad and iphone! I have been listening to the books on cd but now I can also access podcast on my commute. I appreciate the share.

Thanks Erica

PaulK

Registered
Beyondpod works on Android for me

I have been using it to download podcasts direct to phone for more than a year.

mcogilvie

Registered
iCatcher works on iPhone too

This thread motivated me to try using iCatcher, which I have been using for NPR, for Connect as well. It works fine.

Pontussorlin

Registered
Thanks for the tip.

I'd like to have direct access to all the podcasts whenever. But it's hard to manage the podcasts from the computer. On the iPhone, due to space constraints, I have to choose which podcasts to bring with me. On the iPad instead I downloaded all the podcasts to carry with me. Now I can free up that space.

On the other hand - it's a shame that I can't use the beautiful podcast apps on on the iPhone and iPad when listening to the GTD podcast.

Maybe when itunes 11 shows up in October there will be some changes to how you sync authenticated podcasts so that it will be easier to do when you are away from the computer. Then maybe I could use Apple's podcast apps for downloading GTD podcasts on the go.

AmandaBarnier

Registered
Perfect!

Thanks for this! I don't listen to as many podcasts as I'd prefer to because it's a bit of a drag to download to iTunes and sync to my phone (I don't sync often enough).

Will look forward to listening more often.

Amanda

28cozy28

Registered
Frustration!!!

I now have Downcast. I have loaded the URL, but the Connect podcasts are not showing up, although Downcast tells me I am subscribed. Help, I was really looking forward to offline listening. Brand new, upset Connect member.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
28cozy28;111100 said:
I now have Downcast. I have loaded the URL, but the Connect podcasts are not showing up, although Downcast tells me I am subscribed. Help, I was really looking forward to offline listening. Brand new, upset Connect member.

Hi there--I will ask the GTD Connect customer care team to reach out to you about this. Sorry you're having challenges!

SiobhanBR

Registered
I have never successfully got the podcast working either

I've tried so many times and given up, perhpas it's worth another go. I've never got the podcast to work - I've been trying through iTunes.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
SiobhanBR;111124 said:
I've tried so many times and given up, perhpas it's worth another go. I've never got the podcast to work - I've been trying through iTunes.

Siobhan--did our team ever try to help you with this?

SteveMRL

Registered
FYIW, I cannot listen to the podcast through Instacast (another IOS app) even though it gives me an opportunity to add my name and Password. On the other hand I am having trouble logging into GTD Connect on my Mac. I have to try several times.

Steve

human

Registered
Never Had Success With the Podcast

I have tried all the options for Androids and (despite being a fairly savvy user) sadly, have never had success. Like another user has posted, I have given up trying.

I know that I have missed many of the podcast episodes and the seminars as a result, since I have to be vigilant about watching the feeds for updates. Currently, I download each episode individually to my computer and go through a lengthy process to transfer it to my phone, so I can listen while commuting and exercising. (Maybe this is why I'm stagnating a bit in GTD lately?)

It would be great if we can find a workable solution!

dcbahr

Registered
Downcast is great and it is very accessible with the voiceover screen reader. I'm already subscribed to the GTD podcast, so thanks for confirmation that it does work.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi All,

Here's some information that may be helpful. If you still have any issues accessing the GTD Connect Members-Only podcasts, please email connect@davidco.com. We can usually get things sorted out by sending you detailed instructions as soon as we have specifics about your setup, e.g. Windows/Mac, iOs/Android.

If you are using an app on your mobile device, the app needs to support digest authentication. That means the app needs to be able to pass your GTD Connect username and password through. Surprisingly, the native iOS podcast app does not support this authentication. The two apps that seem to do well are Downcast and BeyondPod.

If you'd rather skip the app step, you can always use iTunes on your computer to subscribe to the podcast, download episodes, and sync with your mobile device.

One more twist to add to the fun. The GTD Connect site will let you log in with either your official username or your email address as your username. However, when you are subscribing to the GTD Connect Members-Only podcast feed, iTunes requires that you use your official username, which may or may not be the same as your email address. We can clarify that and even change your username as you wish. Again, just a quick email to connect@davidco.com will handle it.

Our general podcast configuration information is here:
https://gettingthingsdone.com/connec...cast-howto.php

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Update: The native iOS podcast app is now supporting authentication. You can subscribe to the GTD Connect Members-Only podcast feed through the iOS podcast app, and it will prompt you for username and password.

That means you can now play podcasts directly on my iPhone, without going through the iTunes download and sync.

However, so far the download feature has not worked for me and two GTD Connect members. If you'd like, please try it out and let us know if download works for you.

I'm trying to determine whether the download feature is not working for any authenticated feeds, or whether it's singling out our feed for that special treatment. I have confirmed that downloading works for non-authenticated feeds.

iOS version is 8.4.1 (12H321).
Podcast app version is 2.2.1 (740.56).

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
GTD-Sweden said:
The built in podcaster in iOS in iphone (6) still does not work.

You may have done this already, but if not, please try typing http://gettingthingsdone.com/connect/podcast.php into the address field in Safari on your iPhone. When I do that, it brings up the authentication dialog. After entering username and password, I get a dialog asking if I want to subscribe. When I subscribe, the GTD Connect Members-Only podcast shows up in the My Podcasts section of the podcast app.

GTD-Sweden

Registered
John Forrister said:
You may have done this already, but if not, please try typing http://gettingthingsdone.com/connect/podcast.php into the address field in Safari on your iPhone. When I do that, it brings up the authentication dialog. After entering username and password, I get a dialog asking if I want to subscribe. When I subscribe, the GTD Connect Members-Only podcast shows up in the My Podcasts section of the podcast app.

It still says "no streams to show"