GTD for your cluttered wardrobe, bookshelf, room etc.

Myriam

Registered
TesTeq said:
Yes, but I Iike the idea of thanking disliked clothes for teaching me what I don't like. It gives me mental explanation for both a wrong purchase and for getting rid of them.

Good point.

I have been using the idea of thanking with my children, and their favourite clothes. It has helped them to say goodbye to loved items that just became too small for them. I just don't see me thanking my items every day I used them.

Myriam

Registered
Oogiem said:
The Kondo book seems far to "toss it all" without really thinking about it to me.

Might seem so, but it really isn't. It's about loving the stuff you decide to keep (or in gtd-speak "engaging with the stuff on your lists").

Cpu_Modern

Registered
From the GTD book page 106:

What Stays Where It Is
The best way to create a clean decision about whether something
should go into the in-basket is to understand clearly what shouldn't
go in. Here are the four categories of things that can remain
where they are, the way they are, with no action tied to them:
• Supplies
• Reference material
• Decoration
• Equipment

In the meantime I also learned to "budget" my space. So for example, I have three bookshelfes. That is my space budget for books at the moment.

If get more books I either have to make the official decision to assign more space to my books or I have to get rid of some old ones to make space for the new books.

I also have a space budget of two big boxes for items like these:

SiobhanBR said:
Maybe that will help to let go of some things that seem so hard to let go of (toys and books my son has outgrown is my soft spot).

Again, if the boxes are full and I want to keep more stuff, I either have to officially allocate another box or throw some of the other things in the boxes away to make room for the new old stuff.

I find that once I held onto these things for a while I can finally let them go for good.

(I do use boxes to prevent these things from collecting dust.)

What does "official decision" mean? Between other things it means it is entered onto a list of space budget and will have to "report back" during review time.

TesTeq

Registered
Cpu_Modern said:
Again, if the boxes are full and I want to keep more stuff, I either have to officially allocate another box or throw some of the other things in the boxes away to make room for the new old stuff.

Yes! And Marie Kondo's book helps you decide if you should allocate another box. Do it only when you really, really need or love both - the new and the old stuff.

Cleaning the cluttered bookshelf is one of the greatest headache a person can get. But if we know the proper steps, it'll look a bit better. You can refer http://www.redbins.ca/declutter-life-junk-removal/ for even better idea. First of all you should organize your work. Planning is very important. I normally do the easy jobs first. I'll clean the small and easy areas first. It'll motivate me to do even better. If I start with the difficult area, it'll demotivate me as i'll get tired even faster. This is one of the secret of healthy cleaning.

clutterbusters

Registered
TesTeq said:
Some time ago I've read "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondo. Now I'm rereading it in Polish. And suddenly I had the BFO (Blind Flash of the Obvious):

This book is the GTD practice applied to the things that clutter your home.

Why?

As in GTD you take each thing (piece of your clothing, book etc. - your home is your inbox) and "process it" to discover your level of engagement with this thing. You throw out everything that you don't love or don't absolutely need. Then you organize the "leftovers".

Facing the same problem :-O