GTD Journal is Great

mcogilvie

Registered
I really enjoyed the 2nd issue of the newly-renamed GTD Journal. Lots of helpful material, the vision of success instantiated in the practice of others.

xina

Registered
David's Tool Kit

I found one of the most helpful articles in the journal was David's Tool Kit (pgs 18-19). Very handy to have a visual of what a GTDer uses. I identified several areas that I need to change, which should have been obvious to me. A good booster shot. I'm curious if anyone else has anything to add, change, etc.

fokke.kooistra

Registered
xina;49363 said:
I found one of the most helpful articles in the journal was David's Tool Kit (pgs 18-19).

I agree but would have liked a picture here to visualize it, but then we probably might get religious over it.....

Fokke

apinaud

Registered
Kiddo;49371 said:
I agree but would have liked a picture here to visualize it, but then we probably might get religious over it.....

Fokke

Funny you mention that.. I thought the same.. Good for HP, Cannon, and the other brands!!!!

TesTeq

Registered
The new GTD stuff collection is comming!

The new GTD stuff collection is comming:
  • GTD legal pad;
  • GTD legal pad (junior);
  • Fedon tray;
  • Fedon holder;
  • GTD standing graduated wire file rack;
  • GTD two-minute sand timer;
  • GTD 43 labeled manila folders (tickler file).

TesTeq

Registered
"Have Your Lists Become Listless?" is the best article.

"Have Your Lists Become Listless?" is - in my opinion - the best article in this issue of the GTD Journal. David Allen analyses the "flat-lining" syndrome – when some list or other has lost its lustre.

"How Does the David Allen Staff Categorize Their Action Lists?" article shows the GTD flexibility in @Contexts definition. Once again it is stressed that GTD is an advanced common sense system which is meant to support your needs.

I

iandstanley

New Kit coming to store

I noticed in David's Personal Toolkit he's trying out some new kit from the new collection coming to the store soon:

• In baskets
  • Fedon Tray :confused:
  • Fedon Holder :confused: ....... and I haven't even got a fedon to hold!
  • Standing Graduated File Racks
  • Two minute sand timer ---- I wonder if he's made it study enough for travel?
  • 43 folders ----- I wonder if these are made fromthe same material as the travelling folders

Hey David, if your lurking how about posting a few pictures :mrgreen:
And if you want another beta tester please let me know

rjanney

Registered
xina;49363 said:
I found one of the most helpful articles in the journal was David's Tool Kit (pgs 18-19). Very handy to have a visual of what a GTDer uses. I identified several areas that I need to change, which should have been obvious to me. A good booster shot. I'm curious if anyone else has anything to add, change, etc.

I also found it very helpful. Before connect I searched the coaches pages for tips on best practices for workflow aroung the office. I have a wal board aboud 18 inches high and 24 wide. I keep blank thankyou notes, pens, clips, business cards, envelopes ect., This help get some items off the desk but keep them handy. They can be found at Storables and The Container Store.

sroeder

Registered
Tool Kit Item: Personal Brain

xina;49363 said:

I had never heard of "Personal Brain" software. How useful is this? Could David or someone else please comment on the value of Personal Brain? Thanks!

Steve

Barb

Registered
GTD Journal and Categories

What I found interesting was the various categories that David wrote about. I'm struggling a bit with that myself...I have the "standard" GTD categories, but I'm home-office based and context doesn't seem to be the best for me.

I'm interested in knowing what categories others may be using...just to give me some more ideas.

M

mchasin

The NeverEnding Project

I truly enjoyed this issue as well. I did have a couple of questions though. As a Physician Advisor and Medical Director of a 370 bed hospital I am having some difficulty addressing some of my projects. I do have next actions, however these responsibilities are never ending. I am responsible for 3 major projects. Hospital FLOW, which is improving the flow of a patient through admission and discharge, making sure that a patient received the right treatment at the right time, overall improvement of health care quality in my hospital. The issue I am having is not with my next actions is that there is always room for improvement, my project/responsibility never ends. This is in contrast to my other project of implementation of a system wide EHR which has a time line and specific next actions and deadlines. How would you recommend me dealing with the first issue?

Thanks

Marc

Barb

Registered
Area of Responsibility vs. Project

Marc,

You might want to consider breaking down your FLOW responsibilities into actual definable projects. For example, one of my roles/responsibilities is "Business Owner". Part of that is "marketing". Marketing is an ongoing, never-ending responsibility for most business owners, so I think of that more as a function. Projects under marketing might be "redesign website" or "hire a sales person" or something else with a definate beginning and a definate end.

I think David defines Areas of Responsibility as the 50,000 foot level, where as projects are 10-20 thousand.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
The Horizons of Focus

Hi There,

Here's how David defines the various horizons of focus or levels of priority:

50,000 - Life (Life purpose, direction, key drivers etc.)
40,000 - 3-5 year vision/strategy (where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?)
30,000 - 1-2 year goals/direction (any specific goals or direction you are working on in the next 1-2 years?)
20,000 - areas of focus or responsibilities (the "hats" you wear personally/professionally)
10,000 - current projects (those 30 to 100 current outcomes on your plate)
runway - current actions (all of your current tasks and calendar entries--most people have approx. 100-200 of these at any given time)

The levels don't necessarily map to each other, but in my personal experience, I have found the 20k foot to be a big driver for me for my priorities and direction with my projects and actions.

For example, I have a 20,000 area of focus called "Vibrant Health". I have a current project that relates to that called, "Complete SB Triathlon." My runway has anything from "pump up bike tires" to "go for a run."

Hope this helps.

sroeder

Registered
Suggestion to Dr. Chasin - use Mind Manager

Marc,

I also have large scale responsibilities to an insititution with never-ending responsibilities. I have found MindManager software (by MindJet) to be invaluable. MindManager enables you to generate mindmaps which creates a visual display. I use it two ways: First, I keep a MindMap of all of my major projects or responsibilities. This helps keep the big picture in mind. Secondly, I create a separagte mindmap of each of the major projects so that I can keep track of all of the details of that project. MindManager enables you to attach text notes to varous pieces, to attach priorities, and a symbol for how far along that piece is. You can also attach convenient notes as to whom a piece is delegated.

I also use MindManager to create an outline of any significant document that I am writing - it enables me to totally organize my thoughts in a logical order which makes final writing so much easier. And, when I do my weekly review, I make a mindmap of Mind Sweep (empty your head, in DA's parlance).

Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like to share ideas further.

Steve

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
Thanks for the comments...

Nice to hear that several of you got value out of our latest Journal. Pictures of the gear being tested - ah, yes, when the products are exactly like we want them. Can't believe how much time, effort, and recalibration has been required to get some basic tools "just right"... but then, I guess that what might make them unique. Re: Personal Brain. It's an interesting piece of software that has some similarities to mind-mapping, but is more like creating associations up down and sideways, with a database that will pull back the association to a word and all its links when you type it in. I've found it the best tool for a major mind-dump about my life history - stories, dreams, years, events - and seeing the connections. Like, when I look at 1968, I'll see everything that I tied to that year. Best to play with a demo, which I think they have on their website. Jerry Michaelski, now a friend in the Bay Area, turned me on to it when he was in one of my early RoadMaps...

David

mavakil

Registered
Oh hi David!

Gosh, it's wonderful to see your very own post here :)

Yes, I too had a good time reading the journal specifically the many testimonials from other GTD-ers especially since I saw myself in several of them.
I also enjoyed the detail with which you explained your personal tool kit. What was funnily reassuring that, most of the tools used were not very different from what I (& probably most GTDers) am/(are) currently using. However I certainly did pick a tip or two from your Personal Toolkit list and shall certainly refer to it the next time I'm redesigning my office space.

David, what would really be insightful is if we could have a glimpse (preferably a layout plan) of what your office looks like. Where do you keep your five intrays, where do you have room on your desk for writing, where do you keep your laptop, similar questions for your shelves, filing drawers, printer scanner etc. I'm sure it must have taken a load of experience to have everything a swivel away without seeming as if it'll all fall over you. I've tried and tried, haven't seem to have gotten the layout of my personal space just right as of yet.

Thank you, for all your efforts, which help us so much in making our lives easier. David, you're an angel!

Best wishes from Bangalore, India,
Arif

darlakbrown

Registered
Sorry to hijack the thread ... what do you do in India, Arif?

And yes I agree that more pictures on the forums would be very useful! It's sometimes easier to get inspired when we're visually able to capture what others are doing... Not that our workspaces all need to look the same (creepy) but more for inspiration... I'm too embarrassed to share photos of my office. It's clean but I still haven't gotten the filing cabinet system I want after over a year of putting it off.... and having headaches around it...

R

revmhj

Any time line as to when the new gear will be ready for the store? I have to buy a couple of new in-baskets and I'm sure not going to waste my money on something I will replace with GTD-standard gear.

mondo

Registered
I had a good read through of the journal last night. Its really a great thing, and with time hopefully more profiles and contributions can expand the knowledge base.

I also liked the article on David's tool kit. Wonderful.

Thanks David and crew for putting this together. A lot of work goes into this stuff.

Cheers

Des