GTD wastes mental energy?

Cpu_Modern

Registered
fwade;72805 said:
I also realize that lots of people have "lost faith" in GTD because it didn't work for them.

I think this is unfortunate, as GTD wasn't designed for everyone [..]

GTD is certainly better than other "systems" I've tried. However I think in general the saying "if you work the system, the system works" holds true (more or less). The many people you are referring to, I think many of them do not realize that it is not GTD that has to work. The people have to change habits and work theire work. Not the system. You have to learn GTD it takes some time. The magic does not come without the work. There is no substitute for 'get movin'.

fwade

Registered
Lazy? Or Mistaken?

Cpu_Modern;72813 said:
GTD is certainly better than other "systems" I've tried. However I think in general the saying "if you work the system, the system works" holds true (more or less). The many people you are referring to, I think many of them do not realize that it is not GTD that has to work. The people have to change habits and work theire work. Not the system. You have to learn GTD it takes some time. The magic does not come without the work. There is no substitute for 'get movin'.

CPU:

I agree for the most part. Nothing happens unless there are habit changes, and that take a lot of work. In fact, I think that most people fail when they try to adopt new time management systems because they don't appreciate the challenge.

On the other hand, working harder and harder at trying to implement GTD only works for a handful of people who would benefit from a 100% implementation.

Most people end up implementing parts of GTD that works for them, but it's not because they are lazy, or unwilling to work hard.

Instead, it's because they have lost the focus they need to have on the fact that this is _their_ system at the end of the day, and GTD exists as a powerful guide to help them upgrade it.

People blame themselves for being lazy, when in fact it's just a an error in perspective.

IMHO!

webagogue

Registered
jenter;71821 said:
The question is, is doing all the calls (inet researches) first still preferable to focusing on the project?

If I recall correctly, the definition of a context is a set of actions that you physically can do now.

Half right. Contexts can be thought of as a state of mind. Yes, you always have a mobile phone with you, but does that mean you should always be making calls? Probably not. However, make one phone call and it probably isn't all that much trouble keep that ball rolling.... you're now in the state of mind where making a second or third phone call isn't so difficult. And you'll want a place to easily find the next phone call you should make. You're in the phone context.

Jamie Elis

Registered
fine tuning perhaps/block out time for intensive work

I think we all have to fine tune in our own way--

Some actions that are context specific can be done across projects in a bunch--so the next actions listed by context works great then.

This is especially true for people's lives that are so spread out in regard to context, for example, I work in an office that has no internet, so anything I need internet for that is work related I must do from home. I live far from any good produce markets so if I set off in the direction of one I want to get any fresh fruit or veggie I anticipate using in three or four days' time.

But as noted by the initial poster, some projects are better worked on in larger pieces. In fact, if I am going to write, research, sort out stuff, I need block of time and to be in the right context(s), such as @home, @library. I think that maybe if we are trying to plan the work ahead maybe for these types of work it might be helpful to identify times on the calendar that accomodate these "intensives" and maybe on the next action list put the action but also indicate that it will be the entry point into something bigger and/or some time guestimate (e.g. "@ phone get attorney's feedback" is something different from ""@phone confirm dentist appointment). Similarly, "@errands-return sweatshirt for a refund" is different from "@errands-try on frames for new glasses (1 Hour )" from "@errands-take all three children for athletic shoes (2 hours)".

I am also thinking that if the deeper more intensive work is part of one's regular work, maybe the "best" practice is to have regular times for it in the day or week or month or whatever fits you.

I would love to hear how people handle this type of thing who do it effectively.