GTD Workflow map PDF

Gardener

Registered
Oogiem said:
You can point almost the exact date that the forums became less active. The day after the switch of the forum software to the current system.

Yep. I remember wondering, at the time, whether the forum owners understood that changing forum software is quite likely to kill a forum. And that's when the new forum software works flawlessly.

TesTeq

Registered
Folke said:
I agree with your sentiment of often (still) feeling unwelcome here. I feels a bit as if I have stumbled into some kind of secret religious society in a remote valley on a different continent, where there are all kinds hidden rules, beliefs, perceptions, purposes and loyalties that I cannot quite figure.

I think it is not nice to bite the basics of the GTD methodology here (The Temple of GTD ;-) ). If GTD does not work for somebody there are other approaches to productivity. There's no need to prove that there's something wrong with GTD. That's all.

Folke

Registered
TesTeq, are you referring to my example with "... you must empty your head, consider the next actions, separate them by context ...". I am sorry if that sounded as "biting the basics of the GTD methodology". I assure you I had no such intention with that example - or with any other part of that post. That specific passage was only intended as an example of what can be discussed with no risk of causing a heated debate.

But perhaps this misunderstanding can serve as an example of how various statements can sometimes appear to be critical of GTD, when in fact they are not.

Or are you referring to the temple allegory that you quoted? That was not aimed at the GTD teachings but at some prevailing attitudes among some of the worshipers. I do have the impression that people here are a bit over-protective of David and his teachings. He is a grown man, a capable man, who has done some truly outstanding work. His teachings are strong and quite easy to defend. I think most of us have testified to that in writing here many times. If we did not respect David and his teachings I do not think we would even be here.

Also, I am not totally convinced that David himself would wholeheartedly appreciate the more fervent worshipers' attribution of virtually all wisdom to himself - almost as if the world had been a totally dark and chaotic place prior to 2001, and that common sense, even the next action, was somehow invented by David Allen. When I read the 2001 edition David came across a humble, clear, very sensible man who explained the book more in terms of being a compilation and systematization of some carefully chosen time-proven common-sense concepts, something I totally agree with - and he did a hell of a good job (I'm saying that yet again just to be clear).

Dena, I'd love to give specific examples, but I'd rather not risk starting a new tedious debate. Are you OK with that? (Maybe the above passages will give you a hint.)

devon.marie

Registered
Gardener said:
I perceive this forum as moderately dysfunctional, with a fair bit of "bite first, consider later" vibe. There are a number of thoughts that I've considered posting here--most recently, a sequence of thoughts about GTD and Kansan and how the two could be used in concert--and then I've decided that I'm just not in the mood to be bitten. And so I don't post.

I would be incredibly interested in this post, if you do ever decide to share it! I happen to think a basic Kanban setup can fit comfortably inside a GTD system, but I've only roughly thought through it. I'd love to hear ideas from others, too. I think a lot of people in these forums have really great ideas that take suggestion from productivity systems outside of GTD, and I feel like it's as you said - people tend to vehemently oppose things on the grounds that "it's not vanilla GTD" without listening to the merits or opening up one's mind to even the idea of something not in the books/podcasts/interviews, etc. It sometimes feels quite stifling. GTD is, after all, a personal productivity system, and things like Kanban are more geared towards group/organization productivity - they're not mutually exclusive. We can and should take the opportunity to learn from both.