Have you heard the In Conversation with Louis Kim?

Barb

Registered
Listened--twice!

As a matter of fact I listened to it twice! I was particularly interested in his comments about the culture. HP has had a rocky few years, for sure. I wouldn't imagine all that being an environment easy for innovators.

Louis, if you are indeed reading: How did you keep your team motivated during periods of bad press and times where it appeared, at least to the public, that HP was on a downward trend?

louiskim

Registered
Re: Keeping engaged during ups and downs

Hi Barb,

A good question, about staying engaged during a lot of distractions. I guess it's not too much different than what any of us would do in the same situation - focus on what one can control. HP at 300,000 employees is about the size of Pittsburgh - focusing on the positive needs to be a willful decision. It's also important to keep in mind we come into work to make something useful for others. As cliched as it sounds, this is easy to forget when the press coverage can make it seem like we're on a stage as its own end.

We are also lucky to have a cultural legacy from our founders, Bill and Dave. Our former CTO listed these quotes of theirs for when "he needs a kick in the pants."

Thanks again for the good question.

Louis Kim
Vice President, Advanced Platforms Group
Hewlett-Packard

Quotes from Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard:

1. The greatest success goes to the person who is not afraid to fail in front of even the largest audience.

2. Set out to build a company and make a contribution, not an empire and a fortune.

3. The best possible company management is one that combines a sense of corporate greatness and destiny, with empathy for, and fidelity to, the average employee.

4. The biggest competitive advantage is to do the right thing at the worst time.

5. A company that focuses solely on profits ultimately betrays both itself and society.

6. Corporate reorganizations should be made for cultural reasons more than financial ones.

7. A frustrated employee is a greater threat than a merely unhappy one.

8. The job of a manager is to support his or her staff, not vice versa and that begins by being among them.

9. The best business decisions are the most humane decisions. And, all other talents being even, the greatest managers are also the most human managers.

… and my favorite one is ….

10. Investing in new product development and expanding the product catalog are the most difficult things to do in hard times, and also among the most important.

Barb;94665 said:
As a matter of fact I listened to it twice! I was particularly interested in his comments about the culture. HP has had a rocky few years, for sure. I wouldn't imagine all that being an environment easy for innovators.

Louis, if you are indeed reading: How did you keep your team motivated during periods of bad press and times where it appeared, at least to the public, that HP was on a downward trend?

Barb

Registered
Great stuff!

Love the quotes, Louis! And I personally am glad HP will still be making computers for consumers...except for one bad Gateway mistake many, MANY years ago...HP is all I've ever owned. I love my iPad, but there will always be a pc in my life and I would like not to have to find another brand I can trust.

krystynar

Registered
Agree with Barb the podcast is great

Hi Louis, I also listened to the podcast twice. Your discussion with David was articulate and full of interesting ideas. My take-away is the theme of mindfulness in your approach. Best wishes from HK for 2012!
Krystyna

louiskim

Registered
Takeaway

Hi Krystyna, I think your takeaway of mindfulness is spot on. Been to HK for business often, love the energy.

Louis Kim
Vice President, Advanced Platforms Group
Hewlett-Packard

krystynar;94682 said:
Hi Louis, I also listened to the podcast twice. Your discussion with David was articulate and full of interesting ideas. My take-away is the theme of mindfulness in your approach. Best wishes from HK for 2012!
Krystyna

TesTeq

Registered
There's nothing wrong with daily MIT list!

kelstarrising;94664 said:
If you haven't had a chance to listen to David's most recent In Conversation with Louis Kim, I highly recommend it:

https://secure.davidco.com/connect/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=416&trackid=1035

Lots of great discussion about innovation and change and how that intersects with GTD.

Louis is very active on GTD Connect as well, so if you post your comments and questions here, I'm sure he would love to engage with you all as fellow members.

I've finally listened to "In Conversation with Louis Kim" and found it very insightful.

But there's something more. David shares his tactical advice and says that:

There's nothing wrong with daily Most Important Tasks list!

He sees it as yet another filter for all @context Next Action lists - a filter that allows people to focus on most important Projects. Some GTDers use 3x5 cards to create daily lists containing 1-3 MITs. They look at all their lists a night before or in the morning and ask a question:

"If I have any time today what is the one thing (or 2 or 3 things) out of all of these that I want to get done?"

In the same manner David himself creates the "Before Trip" list to make sure that the critical stuff is done before he leaves.

louiskim

Registered
Apropos article about decisions

I think this was an important insight also. Reminded me of a web article referring to decision making ability - in theory, it sounds right that we should be able to make the best decisions from moment to moment, harder in reality. Some decisions, like an MIT, might be better made up front.

http://sweatscience.com/?s=decision+fatigue

TesTeq;95202 said:
I've finally listened to "In Conversation with Louis Kim" and found it very insightful.

But there's something more. David shares his tactical advice and says that:

There's nothing wrong with daily Most Important Tasks list!

He sees it as yet another filter for all @context Next Action lists - a filter that allows people to focus on most important Projects. Some GTDers use 3x5 cards to create daily lists containing 1-3 MITs. They look at all their lists a night before or in the morning and ask a question:

"If I have any time today what is the one thing (or 2 or 3 things) out of all of these that I want to get done?"

In the same manner David himself creates the "Before Trip" list to make sure that the critical stuff is done before he leaves.