@Hermione @Ron @Harry next order of the phoenix meeting

G

gtdlater

Does Harry Potter have separate context lists labeled @Ginny, @Fred, @Tonks, @Lupin, @Hermione, @Ron or does he put each person in the agendas section?

As I see it he has one of three problems:
1. a cluttered agendas section
2. a cluttered context lists sections
3. or worst of all:

Ginny is on the @Hogwarts list, but Harry meets her in Hogsmead. In reviewing his @Hogsmead list he finds nothing to tell her, moves on, and drops the ball because on the @Hogwarts list is written, "Tell Ginny about impending doom re: dementors"

Barb

Registered
Hp

Well, if he DOES have separate context lists for at least 3 of those, he won't be needing them going forward.

kewms

Registered
Gotta be agendas. All of those folks are prone to Apparate into and out of places without warning, often with Death Eaters in hot pursuit. Harry doesn't know when or where (or if) he'll see them again, so he's gotta take advantage of whatever moments he can grab.

Fortunately, having lots of lists isn't really an issue for wizards. If Hermione can haul a framed portrait around, a few extra pieces of paper should be a piece of cake.

Katherine

cornell

Registered
Nice question! These would be agendas, one for each person he *regularly* meets with. If he runs into someone in passing, great - just open the agenda for that person and cover the items. Otherwise, cover during the next regular meeting. "Regular" is the key here.

Also, agendas apply only to those routine/non-urgent matters that can wait until the next meeting. For urgent work, email, call, or stop by her desk.

Finally, he will need to be thoughtful about where he puts an action. If using agendas for the person, consistently place them there. Else they might fall through the cracks, as you pointed out. In addition, you should both check your Waiting For lists while you're together, in case something delegated needs attention.

G

gtdlater

I also vote this as the best question of the week!

Questions in terms of Harry Potter are much easier to read and think about.

garthk

Registered
Try @Someone

I'm driving GTD using Outlook, synchronised to my Treo using KeySuite. My approach to this is:

• Having a single @Someone category, not one per person;
  • Tracking things to talk to Hermione about in the notes of a task called Hermione that lives in the @Someone category; and
  • Adding Hermione as the task's contact, so it shows up in her Activities.
I've found this to have the following benefits:

• Each weekly *cough* review, I'm reminded of those with whom I should catch up; and
  • When I do catch up with Hermione, everything we need to discuss is in one place.

W

WebR0ver

garthk;51102 said:
  • Adding Hermione as the task's contact, so it shows up in her Activities.

Would you elaborate on this. What are "her Activities"? Does this mean it shows up somehow on Hermione's desktop? Does this require me to delegate the task to her? Thanks.

garthk

Registered
When you open a contact in Outlook 2003, one of the tabs is "Activities". That lists any tasks, appointments, or journal entries for which they are listed in the "Contacts" field.

No, you don't need to delegate the task. Just put their name at the bottom of "their" task.

mmurray

Registered
kewms;50927 said:
Gotta be agendas. All of those folks are prone to Apparate into and out of places without warning, often with Death Eaters in hot pursuit. Harry doesn't know when or where (or if) he'll see them again, so he's gotta take advantage of whatever moments he can grab.

Fortunately, having lots of lists isn't really an issue for wizards. If Hermione can haul a framed portrait around, a few extra pieces of paper should be a piece of cake.

Katherine

LOL

I have to master than Undetectable Extension Charm. I could get rid of my bike panniers.

Where did you put the `Read Deathly Hallows' NA ? On all Contexts ?

Michael

Barb

Registered
Calendar

Those Deathly Hallows are so urgent that reading them belongs on your calendar...for today!

W

WebR0ver

Not sure you even have to put Read Deathly Hallows on an action list or calendar. Making time to read something you really want to is like being able to prune the tree because you're comfortable about what you're not doing. Plus it's big enough that you won't forget that you're carrying it around with you everywhere. Unless of course you put it in your undetectable extension.

kewms

Registered
mmurray;51128 said:
Where did you put the `Read Deathly Hallows' NA ? On all Contexts ?

No NA. Once I took it out of my inbox, I was doomed. Two days later, in blatant violation of the two minute rule, I was done.

(I blame my husband, since he's the one who brought it into the house in the first place.)

Katherine

AdamMiller81

Registered
Hehe, I know that feeling. After picking it up Saturday around dinner time, it pretty much consumed every free minute until I finished it yesterday afternoon. If I hadn't had other things to do, it probably would have been done Monday!

kewms;51136 said:
No NA. Once I took it out of my inbox, I was doomed. Two days later, in blatant violation of the two minute rule, I was done.

(I blame my husband, since he's the one who brought it into the house in the first place.)

Katherine