How do you use your Time/Design system with GTD?

cheryll1

Registered
I just recently purchased (invested) in the Time/Design system to make the move back to paper from Palm. Their instructions are a bit vague and I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out how best to use it with GTD. I'd really love any descriptions (as detailed as possible) from anyone using the Time/Design system with GTD on how you have yours set up. It's primarily the "Activities", "Overviews" and "Daily/Weekly Plans" sections that I'm kind of stumped on as far as what goes where. Where do you keep your projects? How and where do you have your Next Actions by Context. I know I can basically set up whatever works for me, but I'd like to know how others have set theirs up for GTD.

Day Owl

Registered
Relevance?

mOses, what is the relevance of the hipster pda to the original question about the Time/Design system?

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Here's One Way

Here's what I do:
(I mostly use Activities Checklist forms for my primary GTD lists)

Activities Tab:
- Projects
- Waiting For
- Someday/Maybe (I'm up to my 12th page!)

Overview:
- Monthly & Yearly Overview forms
- Notes form of Dates (birthdays, etc.)
- Misc. schedules - e.g. printout of my ice hockey league schedule

Daily Plans:
- Daily Calendar forms (usually 3 weeks)
- Reverse-folded Activities Checklists for each Next Action context
(Mine are Anywhere, Computer, Errands, Home & Office)

DataBank:
(clearly not the only way, but it works for me ...)
- Notes & In
- Action Support
- Checklists
- Might Buy
- Focus Areas
- Ideas
- Inspirations
- Agendas

And, phone numbers ...

Hope that helps!
Mark

Day Owl

Registered
Mark, thanks. As one who is firmly wedded to paper, I am flirting with Time/Design despite the cost, after trying and returning the PlannerPad (too little room for entries). Maybe Time/Design is the ultimate system after all?

M

mOses nOghbaudie

Day Owl said:
mOses, what is the relevance of the hipster pda to the original question about the Time/Design system?

The link i posted contains a long list of resources and ideas for arranging this paper-based system we're discussing.

Posting critiques/questions of other posts strikes me as irrelevant to the post in general. Perhaps adding something on topic might make your post relevant? :confused:

tfadams

Registered
mOses,

I think what Day Owl meant was that your reply is not specifc to Time/Design which is a brand of paper organizer. A link to a lengthy post about setting up and using the hipster isn't really applicable to the original post. Yes, it's a paper based system, and I agree that the hipster is pretty cool, but cheryll was looking for Time/Design information.

Cheryll,

When I used Time/Design, my setup pretty much mirrored what Mark already posted. What I found really useful was that the reverse-fold Activity Checklists made it easy to see your Next Actions and your appointments at the same time.

Day Owl

Registered
mOses nOghbaudie said:
The link i posted contains a long list of resources and ideas for arranging this paper-based system we're discussing.

Posting critiques/questions of other posts strikes me as irrelevant to the post in general. Perhaps adding something on topic might make your post relevant? :confused:

mOses, my question was an honest one. The original poster asked specifically about the commercial (and costly) Time/Design system, not about paper-based systems in general. When I visited your link, I saw only a discussion of the hipster PDA. If that link does contain a discussion of Time/Design somewhere, please let us know. It would be useful information.

G

grt

tfadams said:
What I found really useful was that the reverse-fold Activity Checklists made it easy to see your Next Actions and your appointments at the same time.

The reverse-fold Activity Checklists sound interesting. I've not seen them before. Is there a website for Time/Design that would explain their use?

grt

Mark Jantzen

Registered
grt said:
Is there a website for Time/Design that would explain their use?
grt

Yes ... http://www.timedesign.com/adobe/quickstartpostersm.pdf

If that doesn't work ...
Start at their home page (www.timedesign.com)
Click on "better by design" (not a sub-menu)
Then, one of the quick links is "Adobe Quick Start Guide"
Page 6 has a good illustration

Photos in other areas of their website are not as good as they could be. The Activities Checklist forms and the ability to reverse-fold is one of my favorite aspects of the T/D system as a GTD tool. My favorite is using a highlighter to mark completed actions & projects (similar to using a labeler ... sounds really stupid until you start using it).

Mark

cheryll1

Registered
How do you use your Time/Design system with GTD

Thanks all for your replies. I've pretty much been using it as Mark has. I appreciate the help.