Registered
CUrrent count - Before weekly review

As of this minute:

All projects: 683
Active projects: 161
On-hold projects: 477
Completed projects: 37
Dropped projects: 8

I am 1 day before my regular weekly review, when I will add new projects, drop any that are no longer relevant, and put a bunch on hold due to changing weather.

The average numbers are pretty typical for me for totals although I have more active ones this week than normal.

SpaklePrincess

Registered
Remember the Milk

THANK YOU both for responding. That is EXTREMELY helpful.

I am currently evaluating different applications for setting up my GTD system, and was looking into Remember the Milk, as it's free and was recommended here:

http://lifehacker.com/#!378062/five-best-gtd-applications

An article about how to set up Remember the Milk for GTD is outlined here:

http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2008/05/guest-post-advanced-gtd-with-remember-the-milk/

However, with the way this poster is setting of Remember the Milk, each project gets a 'tab'. With 50-170 active projects, it seems that this would become quite unwieldy. Therefore, it appears Remember the Milk is not an ideal GTD platform, unless I figure out another way to configure it.

Thoughts?

syrex314

Registered
RTM is a good platform for keeping action lists by context. You're right that having one tab for each project would be too much, especially if you take David Allen's definition of a project to be anything that requires more than a single action.

SpaklePrincess

Registered
What application would you recommend for setting up my GTD system.

Yes, I do like David Allen's definition of 'projects'. In that case, what would you recommend?

I would love a tool that syncs with my iPhone, I have a pc and am running Vista.

I am currently researching the best tools to use in setting up my GTD system. I'm a big computer geek, so I definitely want to go with something digital.

Something low-priced would be ideal.

Something web-based would be best, so that if I'm not at my computer, I can access my info from another computer.

I am a big Gmail and Google Apps user.

I know this is a 'gear' question, but since it pertains to my 'general' question, I'd love to get your feedback on a good GTD digital home base.

syrex314

Registered
You'll probably want to look through the forums for what people recommend on the iPhone. I currently use Shuffle on Android.

Really all you need is something to keep lists. Sometimes the GTD tools that have projects and next actions linked to those projects, with due-date and reminder features, automatic GPS context sensing, etc. are more trouble than they're worth. You probably won't need most of these extra features if you're in the habit of regularly reviewing your system.

In support of this, here is a snippet from Ch. 8 of Allen's Making It All Work:
"There is no mind in the world that can objective keep track of projects and reminders as accurately as a simple loose-leaf notebook of lists and no system in the world that can tie together what's on those lists in their infinitely varied associations like your brain."

For me, the greatest benefit of keeping my projects and next actions on my phone is portability. I have everything with me all the time.

Chesnokov

Registered
I have no projects. All my actions on my @Action lists. When checking off one action I put a new one. And this is a rule. So project list is just waste of time for me.

HappyDude

Registered
My OmniFocus says I have 23 active project overall, however many of these projects contain numerous sub-projects within, that cater towards the my overall agreement and intended successful outcome of any particular project.

20 on-hold projects; again, with numerous sub-projects within.

11 individual folders each referring to a different area of my life in someday/maybe...however individually each action is pretty much a future project that's not yet been made..so, really my someday/maybe consists of at least 400 items. Some with reminders to begin in the summer of this year...and other's scheduled to be looked at in 20 years.

malisa

Registered
I tried RTM for a while for my whole system. IIRC I had a tag for each project. My project tags started with a certain character and the headers for my project started with a certain character. I really loved the search-ability of it. But in the end, I went back to OmniFocus. I still use RTM for my shopping lists/@errands stuff.

Foxman

Registered
SpaklePrincess;85988 said:
I'm curious to find out how many projects most people have. How many do you have? What seems to be the norm?

Too many! I am finding anything over 40 projects is counter productive - you lose focus and end up stalling. Simply reviewing 100+ projects is a project in itself!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Chesnokov;86188 said:
David told an average person had 100-150 projects. Are they active or active with sm?

The figures we typically quote are 10-100 current Projects and 50-200 current Next Actions.

Chesnokov

Registered
1 sec x 200 next actions = 200 sec = 3 minutes.

3 minutes only to look through your lists!

I check my lists minimum 20 times a day.

It means to spend only 1 hour daily to read through your lists - no time to work :)

Foxman

Registered
Chesnokov;86206 said:
1 sec x 200 next actions = 200 sec = 3 minutes.

3 minutes only to look through your lists!

I check my lists minimum 20 times a day.

It means to spend only 1 hour daily to read through your lists - no time to work :)

Surey you would only be checking the lists relevant to the context your are working in? That would trim it down a hell of a lot.

Oogiem

Registered
Foxman;86167 said:
Too many! I am finding anything over 40 projects is counter productive - you lose focus and end up stalling.

For me I can't imagine even getting through a week with less than 100 projects being available to be worked on and usually I have closer to 150. For instance when I first posted on this thread on the 12th I had 161 current active projects with one or more next actions defined. As of right now I have 141. The others have been finished already. I've also moved at least another 25 further along and my week is only half over. However, I am rather strict on what a project is. More than 1 action and it is a project.

As to time, I only review the lists for the contexts I am in or can be in. Doesn't take all that long to quickly read the actions.

Chesnokov

Registered
Foxman, if I have my day planned in the right way. It means:

1. The most important projects are planned to be moved (real to be done)
2. There's time between the scheduled blocks (usually no time in between)
3. There's change of the context (moving from office to customer i.e.)

then you were right.

In all other cases I would spend the time I calculated :)

SpaklePrincess

Registered
kelstarrising;86193 said:
The figures we typically quote are 10-100 current Projects and 50-200 current Next Actions.

Wow! The REAL Kelly Forrister! Thanks Kelly - really helpful to have the 'official' word.