How to setup toodledo for GTD

Gracepearson

Registered
I have been trialling toodledo and am contemplating buying a subscription

i am an expert GTD user but I am not sure how to set it up in toodledo

the windows browser version i have downloaded seems to use folders for the GTD categories (inbox, next, someday/maybe, agendas etc) but this limits the filtering i can do with tags. An important context is sunny/dry, wet, windy because this determines the kind of work i can do on the farm. but the way tags seem to be setup I cant "cut and dice" my actions very well. In other words, i want to separate my life into farm cattle, farm repairs and admin (tax, payments, etc), my counselling studies, and family but this seems to belong in folders but they are already used by the GTD categories. So i am confused. I looked in the guides and the forum for any documentation but found none. I also looked on the david allen shop but there is no GTD guide.

Appreciate any suggestions

bcmyers2112

Registered
I haven't used Toodledo in a long, long time, but I still have a free account and I just took a look. My knowledge could be out of date, but folders, contexts and tags appear to be 100% customizable, which is how I remember them. I'm not sure why yours seem to be pre-set, but you should be able to delete what's in there and create what you want.

I am also not sure what you mean by the "windows browser version." I've used it on the web only. AFAIK they have a bookmarklet which is really just a shortcut to get to the web app, but no downloadable client.

You won't find a GTD setup guide because they haven't done one. They choose which apps to create guides for based on the number of requests they receive, and there may not be enough people requesting one for Toodledo.

No disrespect intended, but may I make a suggestion? If you need to customize your contexts based on weather, maybe you could use ones like "@farm" and "@farm - weather permitting." I can't speak for others, but I find anything I can do to streamline my system without compromising my ability to get work done is to my benefit. Maybe this wouldn't be a problem for you, but if I had to assign a folder, context and tag to every next action I'd either forget to do one or two of those things, and I'd also become resistant to using my system.

You can certainly organize your tasks by areas of focus if you want. I'm experimenting with it myself (although I also use person, place and tool contexts). The potential pitfall is overcomplicating your system. It's happened to me before, so I'm keeping an eye on that.

I'm not one to recommend specific tools, but if you want to organize tasks by context and AOF, you might find NirvanaHQ a good tool for that. That app enables tagging by area, context, and contact person. It's much more streamlined and easy to learn and use than Toodledo. And it's purpose-built for GTD. And there is a GTD setup guide for it.

If you want to continue with Toodledo, you may want to contact support. Either way, good luck.