I use todoist and I'm willing to make some changes. Does anybody here use it?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by lazaro84, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lazaro84

lazaro84 Registered

Hello everyone!

I use todoist as my GTD application and I'm willing to make some changes in my system. I have:

- Projects as Areas of Focus;
    - Tags for identifying contexts, lists, projects, available time and periods of the day;
    - Filters to help me in day and weekly review.

So, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

2. FrancescoPlli

FrancescoPlli Registered

Hi, it seems a good setup. As long as you feel comfortable keep it up :)

3. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

If you have only a few projects, it's probably fine. With more than 10-20 projects, I would use Todoist's subproject and subtask features rather than tags for projects. Todoist is not one of my favorite list tools, but it is usable.

4. FrancescoPlli

FrancescoPlli Registered

I've just looked at my old todoist gtdsetup (in it's free version so I didn't use tags). That's how It worked for me. Hope you could use some ideas from screens below. Have a nice day.

Francesco

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. lazaro84

lazaro84 Registered

Thank you mcogilvie! Actually, after this post I did some changes. I am not using tags for projects anymore. I'm still using Projects as Focus Areas and now I have 3 main Projects (Ongoing, Suspended and Finished) with their subprojects.

I am getting satisfied with this new configuration and I'm striving to do a better GTD. Hope to keep that :-D

6. lazaro84

lazaro84 Registered

Thank you for sharing, Francesco!!

7. FrancescoPlli

FrancescoPlli Registered

anytime Lazaro :)

8. RS356

RS356 Registered

I've used Todoist for 2+ years now. My setup is similar to Francesco's. Some key differences:

* I use the projects in the sidebar as flat lists, without indenting. So, one 'project' for each of my next action lists, one for my project list, another for someday/maybe, and one for areas of focus. No indenting means nothing is accidentally hidden (overlooked), and quicker to access in the mobile app.

* Each GTD project is, in fact, a task in my Projects list. This allows me to have a quick overview of my 80-100 projects and assign due dates to larger outcomes. I do use subtasks to break down large projects into smaller chunks. These aren't actions, but usually milestones.

* My next actions are not linked to my projects or areas of focus. I tried it, but found that, in my workflow, the investment of time and effort to maintain a tagging system didn't have much payoff. My weekly review ties everything together.

9. janvhi.garg

janvhi.garg Registered

I have been using Todoist. This seems like a good setup as long as it's working well for you. But I took time figuring that out.
    As a newbee at GTD, I had posted some questions regrading an ideal configuration. But still wasn't sure.
    So had to hire an assistant from https://croogster.com/ to suggest the best practices. That worked out fine.
    But I suggest, keep your comfort at priority

10. kschoenaerts

kschoenaerts Registered

Chief Commercial Officer
    I have a list called "ROUTINES" in my projectlist for daily, weekly and monthly routines and find that to be very useful (see attached pic).

Attached Files: