Is a tickler file really needed? Do you use one?

shane_k

Registered
Thanks Everyone!

First I want to say thanks to everyone who helped and commented.

Here is what I have been doing with my tickler system since I created this thread.

I already had a physical tickler system setup so I was able to start quickly, and put it right beside my computer, where I would see it each day.

And I created an @Tickler Folder on my laptop for any digital files/emails/info

Then to make sure that I remembered any items that I dropped into either tickler system, I started using the Reminders app on my IPhone.

So when I drop something into either my physical tickler system, or digital tickler system I set a reminder and alarm in the Reminders app.

I set most reminders for 7am, or 9pm depending on when that day I want the alert to pop up on my IPhone.

I am finding that this is allowing me to trust my tickler systems, and not worry if there is something forgotten in those folders or not.

I was even considering dumping my digital tickler system into my dropbox folder that way it would sync automatically to my iphone but I think I like it the way it is for now.

Again thanks everyone.

jesig

Registered
Addendum to my earlier post above:

I've found myself in the past several months using another solution to "tickle" items. I found that as I got free of my coursework for my graduate program, I would forget where my days went and be very hard on myself even though in fact, I might have gotten quite a bit done that day. So I started keeping a daily logbook of my bigger completed NAs (i.e., not "water plants" but certainly "write method section of dissertation proposal"). I also use it to manage my use of the Pomodoro technique for some of my longer NAs--I mark my pomodoros in the book.

Since I therefore now have a dated page for each day (I made my own notebook to see if this would work for me, but now that I've learned that it will, I bought a Moleskine Daily planner for 2013), I've found myself writing down future NAs in the log on the day they need to be done.

It's working very well, so far. This is the thing I find most interesting and useful about GTD--you keep adapting it to suit however you're working currently.

Vickie

Registered
Technically I have one and have a reminder to check it on my daily morning reviews but rarely do I use it. With most things being digitalized these days (even things like concerrt tickets!) rarely do I find I need to use it.