Is GTD really all that is needed...

GTDClone

Registered
Thanks for clarifying that, mcogilvie.
I agree that the useful content in lots of books/resources is often not high and also it could even be harmful. That's the reason why I actually wondered if maybe GTD is all that is needed for productivity.

However I'm reading "Your brain at work" by David Rock at the moment. There is some very interesting information about emotions(limbic system) and concious thought (prefrontal cortex) among other things. And how negative emotions, thoughts, places and etc. affect effective thinking process... I think this is a really good book and it combines with GTD practice really well.

I would like to find more books like this. About stuff which isn't really covered in GTD but is essenial to productivity. So far I've noticed that social and emotional aspects aren't really covered much by GTD. I guess they wouldn't really fit as a part of the GTD system but they are still essential for staying stress free and productive when dealing with people

TesTeq

Registered
I've never seen a liar/cheater infected by integrity virus.

mcogilvie;89720 said:
"Integrity is like a disease. You get it from somebody who already has it." Lois McMaster Bujold

I've never seen a liar/cheater infected by integrity virus.

scoobydoo7513

Registered
Just my 2 cents

I love reading and love learning. Regardless of whether or not GTD covers everything (for some people it might), I have yet to see any successful person say stop learning, stop improving etc. In my opinion (and we all know what people say about opinions) you should keep reading articles, blogs, books etc. I have read some books that are full of helpful ideas or a system like GTD. I have also read books that have only 1 or 2 things I can implement but they make a huge difference. Then there are other things I read and when I am done think, "wow that was a waste of time". But that doesn't mean you shouldn't stop looking to improve all the areas of your life. Things are always changing, new technology, new research, new circumstances. My system of two years ago worked for me for a long time. Then circumstances in my life changed and I needed to tweak and change my system. For right now it works for me but I still always am looking for ways to improve it. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is different for every person. For some, GTD is all they need and then some. For others they need a little extra something. And for the few (my husband is in this group) GTD is just too much for him, all he needs is his pocket calendar and a small filing cabinet.

pxt

Registered
I think of reading from other resources as a form of "active collection'.

The lessons I learn from books flow through my workflow until they become activities and habits. I know of no other system that is complete enough to be able to handle this.

I recently read through just the introduction to The Power of Full Engagement and have applied some ideas in my approach to GTD goal-setting, treating them as a series of sprints based on a theme broader than a single project interspersed with a time of recovery and redefinition. If nothing else, it's fun.

GTDClone

Registered
pxt;89764 said:
One of the benefits of GTD to me is that, when I am learning from some other resource, it gives me a place to put what I'm learning. I think of reading as a form of "active collection'.

I skim through a lot of books but, when I find one that's a gem, I add it to my reading list and when it comes up in the queue it becomes a project.

The lessons I learn from books flow through my workflow until they become activities and habits. I know of no other system that is complete enough to be able to handle this.

Thanks for sharing, I actually do the same thing too :)

I have projects to implement information from books/other resources.
When I read the material I take notes and make mind maps and put them into support material for the project (as well as the book itself, it's all electronic).

I find this approach to be very helpful