Is the Notetaker Wallet out of production?

severance1970

Registered
Does anyone know if the Notetaker Wallet is still being made, or is obtainable from another supplier (like Nightingale Conant for the GTD Fast CDs when David Co. was out of stock)? It's been listed as "Temporarily out of stock" for months.

A

Anonymous

An (Available) Alternative

I called the helpful folks at Ojai about the Notetaker Wallet a couple of weeks ago. They told me that they are seeking a new source to make the wallets, but did not sound at all optimistic. I searched for alternatives, and settled on the SwiftNotes Pad Holder from Levenger. It's the exact size of the DA product and comes from a fine company, but is a whole lot cheaper. The supplied pen is not as exotic as the Rotring product supplied with Notetaker, but with the $50+ savings, you can buy another pen. If you're not familiar with Levenger, give them a try at levenger.com (go figure). Their stuff is all excellent quality. David Allen even gives them a couple of plugs in his seminar. If you're just looking for the SwiftNotes Pad Holder, go to http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/PRODIDPG.ASP?Params=Level=2-3|PageID=2287|Category=322-323|special=search|ID=SearchClicked|i=5

severance1970

Registered
I followed George Dick's suggesting of ordering the Mini Folio from Wenger and the Rotring and refill pads from David Co. I haven't received the Rotring yet, but the Wenger wallet is terrific -- just the right size. Capturing verbose ideas low-tech is much more spontaneous than using a PDA (which is better for organization).

davidr521

Registered
Day-Timer's is dirt-cheap...

I own a black DayTimer note-taking wallet: Stock # 4034 -- Western Coach List Partner. Lists for $19.99 and comes in black or brown.

I used Staples 3x5 index cards ($0.99 for 100) and a $4 pen/pencil combo by Avery...and I'm a note-takin' fool. :lol:

Loukas

Registered
Hi all,

I agonized quite a bit in the recent weeks regarding the issue of collection on the go and jotters. Here are my findings:

- I bought a 3x5 "Jotter" from my local Staples for about £6 UK. It's perfect to keep around the house or in my backpack and I enjoy the freedom that I have with 3x5 cards. I can replenish them easily, they are disposable, I can customize them to my liking.

This is what it looks like (couldn't find the exact one):

mille135493_72775_jb.jpg

- For a collection wallet, my requirements were:
1) ability to hold cash and cards, so that I would use it as my one and only wallet (have it all the time with me)
2) immediate access to my collection tool - ie, something I can easily write on, on the go.
3) availability of stationary to write on

I therefore replaced my wallet with a different one which had a display for ID *on the outside*. I cut through the plastic for this, and just fit blank business-cards inside.

Whenever I have a thought, I just take out my wallet (without opening it) and write on the blank card. Once it's full, I toss it into my physical inbox for processing. I carry a Pilot G2 XS (the small one) in my pocket alongside it.

b9_1_sbl.JPG

Here is a similar wallet to what I have, for £7 ($14):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:uk

All you need to do is cut through the plastic on the outside, so that you can write directly on the card

Total cost about £15 ($30) for both wallets and the pen :)
(but I've spent at least as much on trying out other wallets, eg. TheJimi, before deciding on these tools)

Finally, I thought I'd mention that for my calendar and lists, I always carry with me my cellphone (a WM smartphone - HTC S620) which is hotsync'ed daily with Outlook. Therefore, I have access to all my action lists sorted by category (@h, @c, @out, @agenda-xxx, F

I

iandstanley

Gameboy70;25082 said:
Does anyone know if the Notetaker Wallet is still being made, or is obtainable from another supplier (like Nightingale Conant for the GTD Fast CDs when David Co. was out of stock)? It's been listed as "Temporarily out of stock" for months.

Rotring has discontinued the pen and replaced it with a fatter pen which seems to be poorer quality (or maybe I just didn't like it ... i bought one of the newer pens by mistake and hated it).

For those after a second pen try ebay which currently has a number of sellers selling off clearance stock from the bigger pen stockists

severance1970

Registered
I've had a proper Davidco Notetaker Wallet for 6 months now. It's definitely superior to the Wenger PadFolio I used before. The leather hasn't stretched is fast. I actually prefer the newer Rotring pen to the earlier model they shipped. Unfotunately, that's not saying much, since I don't care for retractables. So I replaced it with a Fisher Black Titanium Bullet Space Pen.

cellmatrix

Registered
I have used the Osgoode-Marley jotter wallet now for a couple years and it is great! It uses the same size note pads, has more storage space than the notetaker wallet, but its compact enough to keep in the front pocket, much smaller than the levenger pocket briefcase. This jotter wallet seems pretty well made and at a fraction of the price of the notetaker wallet its something worth considering (sorry davidco).

http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelid=55314&sourceID=DEALTIME

Liz_Harward

Registered
Notetaker wallet alive and well!

Just a quick note to tell folks that the Notetaker wallet is currently available and we are adding a tri-fold wallet to the line, I will formally announce it when it hits the store but it will be available for purchase early in July 07. It will have the exact same features as the original Notetaker with room for more cards and cash and a new expandible pen made just for this wallet.

Do let me know if you have any opionions on other products you would like to see us carry in the DavidAllen store, we are always open to input. You can email me directly at products@davidco.com.

Liz Harward
V.P. Products
The David Allen Company

Liz_Harward

Registered
Older Rotring is still the model we carry in the David Allen Store

iandstanley;49399 said:
Rotring has discontinued the pen and replaced it with a fatter pen which seems to be poorer quality (or maybe I just didn't like it ... i bought one of the newer pens by mistake and hated it).

For those after a second pen try ebay which currently has a number of sellers selling off clearance stock from the bigger pen stockists

Just FYI

The DavidAllen store still has a stock of the black and silver Rotring expandible pens available. I only have the black listed on the website but if anyone wants silver you can put that in the notes section of your order. This is still the lightest, neatest retractable available that we have been able to find and fits our wallet perfectly.

We have sold out of the green one but have plenty of the other two colors.
Our refills are also from Germany, they are the Rotring refills and good quality.

Liz Harward
V.P. Products
The David Allen Company

TesTeq

Registered
I hope it will be wider.

Liz_Harward;49771 said:
we are adding a tri-fold wallet to the line, I will formally announce it when it hits the store but it will be available for purchase early in July 07. It will have the exact same features as the original Notetaker with room for more cards and cash and a new expandible pen made just for this wallet.

I hope it will be wider since Polish car registration documents are 7.5 cm wide so the original Notetaker cannot be my main wallet.

Liz Harward

Registered
Tri-fold Notetaker

TesTeq;49820 said:
I hope it will be wider since Polish car registration documents are 7.5 cm wide so the original Notetaker cannot be my main wallet.

The new wallet is the same size as the original, we get feedback that the one we have is too large! I will send your comments along and consider a European version at a later time. Most folks btw- don't use the Notetaker as their main wallet, it is considered by David as his "evening module" mainly as a capture tool.

Liz Harward
Products team at the David Allen Company

TesTeq

Registered
"European" Notetaker.

I do not know if there are wide documents in other European countries. But my dream size would be the "Moleskine Pocket Weekly Diary" size (3.5" x 5.5") with 3" x 5" refill pads (compatible with index card based systems).